A Good Hygrometer (pics) Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Mycotopia Tek Q&A Humidity A Good Hygrometer (pics) Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Misting - 1
Hygrometer calibrationVittiImok Urok24 1 06-21-02  11:21 pm
hygrometer calibrationHippie (Hippie)Hippie (Hippie)1 1 11-16-01  01:31 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

nuecrew (Nue)
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 07:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knowing your level of
Humidity is important to know at the cusp of pinning/fruiting.
Hippie described a metal framed hygrometer that could be found at cigar shops.
I went to the local cigar shop.
Having many to choose from, prices ranged from $4.95 to $115.
I found one dial guage for $25 that went immediatly to 100% from my breath and returned within 30 seconds to room level of 60%.
It also had a calibration screw.
It is the "Polytherm" model.
Made in Germany the word polytherm is also the brand name
of the filiment that senses the moisture in the air.
A man at a sailing supply store that calibrates many different nuatical instruments said he takes a washcloth soaked in hot water,
wrung out and wraps this around the hygrometer to achieve 100% humidity
and then calibrates the instrument to 100%.
As you can see I have spent over $100.
The digital defaults to "HI" after 85%Rh,
the dual guage $10 cheapo is only accurate between 40-60%Rh. The large one fills the bill but is too big. I think I finally found her in the polytherm. Thanks Hippie!
Very sensitive and accurate.
guage

name

group

(Message edited by admin on March 16, 2004)

nuecrew (Nue)
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 12:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.humidorhabana.com/humidifiers2.htm has the "polytherm" unit in the picture but for $25 more than I paid yesterday. On ebay there is a rotating seller(chevrier instruments) that auction sets of 5 guages similar in size(70mm/2.75in.) and quality of the mushroommagic guage. They also sell sets of 50mm guages that I have doubts about. Past history show winning bids as low as $15(starting bid) and tops of $24. Shipping could be high from Quebec. Hope I helped someone.

plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420)
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 12:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hell yeah Nue... good info... i've been having trouble finding a decent, affordable instrument

ion ewe (Ion)
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 - 08:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the use of psychrometers on this board. A psychrometer is a set of two mercury thermometers with the bulbs positioned over a small fan. One of the therms has a cotton wicking pouch tied over it's bulb. You saturate this "wet bulb" with distilled H2O, and switch on the fan. You watch the levels of mercury in the therms rise and fall until they settle for at least five seconds. Record the temps and use an included slide rule or graph to determine relative humidity. It is kind of a pain, but if you're hellbent on perfection, these things are usually accurate to within a half of a percent when used correctly!
On a side note, it's not really that important to know exactly what your humidity is unless you're living in an abnormal atmosphere (extreme elevation above sea level, a desert, below sea level, etc.). Just make sure it's foggy in there.

-ion

plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420)
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 02:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i threw out my analog a few months ago and bought a digital yesterday... only when i got home i realized that it only reads the "outside" temp and "inside" temp and humidity... so the probe will do me no good... my question is this... if i put the unit inside my terr. from time to time to check the humidity will it get screwed up? should i just go buy something else?

nuecrew (Nue)
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 03:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like you have the same kind I have. I found when the humidity gets over about 85 percent the display defaults to the word "Hi". I do like the remote probe thing.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 01:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thx to 'fuz factor' for that tip.