Ramsey seal Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Lids Ramsey seal Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Polyfil - 1
Simple Cubie Tek - 1

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

venusfly (Venus)
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 07:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you folks think of the ramsey seal?If not familiar it is like this:put piece of foil in jar and depress to the top of whatever substrate is being used,then fill with dry vermiculite,cap the jar and your done.I like it!!

Kaijan (Kaijan)
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 07:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

absolutely useless! Don't waste your time with that.. Stick with just the dry verm layer, it does the job... Besides.. if your sterile, you don't even need that verm layer.

kai.

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 08:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramsey Seal:

"Another way to seal the jars is a method that has come to be known as the Ramsey Seal. For each jar, cut a 6" by 6" (15cm by 15cm) square of aluminum foil. Place the square on top of the jar of substrate mix, and carefully press the middle of the foil square down into the jar until it is touching the top surface of the substrate mix. Don't press any farther or you'll compact the substrate mix. The foil will form a little "pond" in the jar, with the corners and edges of the square hanging out of the top of the jar. Fold and press these down so they are flat against the threads on the outside of the jar. Now, fill the "pond" of each jar with clean dry vermiculite, right up to the top of the jar. Use something flat, like a butter knife or a ruler to scrape off the excess. Put the jar lid and ring on, and carefully tighten the ring, making sure that you don't tear the aluminum foil pressed against the threads of the jar. Your jar is sealed and ready for sterilization."

actually, the ramsey seal is not 'pressed to the top of the substrate',
like the verm. barrier in a pf-style jar.
the ramsey seal was meant for use in pints and quarts of grain, as a filter for the hole in the lid, inches above the loose grain substrate.
most people now use filter disks or polyfil.
for pf tek, it's basically a waste of time and materials.

Shroom Glossary

Alfred E Neuman (Aeneuman)
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2001 - 08:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had heard of the Ramses seal...Trojan and several other companies make a similar latex device...lol

Sparks (Sparks)
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 07:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have read a couple of places on this ramsey seal and just want to make sure I am doing it the best way. After putting the substrate into the jar then place aluminum foil inside and create a pond and then put dry verm inside the pond area or just use dry verm with no foil. Thanks Sparks

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 07:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not use the Ramsey Seal. Go with straight PF Tek for your jars.

jack cracker (Cptcracker)
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 01:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good advice nan, use the kiss principle sparks.

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 01:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

like i said before,
the ramsey seal was never meant to be used for pf tek,
it's meant for quarts of grain, to substitute for a filter disk, polyfil plug, etc.

Sparks (Sparks)
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 05:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks I went with the PF tek :)