Purify your pot so you can rail it.... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Botanicals Marijuana Purify your pot so you can rail it.... Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

micro (Micro)
Username: Micro

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got bored so I came up with an extraction for THC. The end product was a green sparkly solid that was really high in THC. It wasn't a lot -- I probably could have railed it if I wanted to, but I smoked it instead. Will railing THC get you high? Oh, well....

The good thing is you only need 2 things: DMSO (www.dmso.com) and 70% or 91% (better) rubbing alcohol (79c CVS.)

I was going to purify it further by adding distilled water to the alcohol, but the precipitate was way too thin to filter without delicate vacuum filtration. I didn't pay attention to the doses, which are measured in milligrams, so I won't be able to tell if the THC precipitated without another better extraction.

Basically, the THC is almost completely insoluble in DMSO, but most other things, including most of the oils, are.

About 1 1/2 bowls of "mid-grades" was added to a beaker and 50 mL of DMSO was added. This was allowed to sit at room temperature for 1 hr. The DMSO will turn a forest green. At this point you can filter the pot and repeat this step, as it will probably come out better, or you could skip to the next step like I did. Actually, there wasn't much of a color change over time, so the wash might not even take an hour....

The pot and all solid crap was filtered out of the DMSO using a coffee filter, until no DMSO was left, except for the crap on the filters. The pot was then put into another beaker and 70% rubbing alcohol was poured into the beaker with the pot, washing the filters a bit with the alcohol to get any extra stuff off. The mixture was then heated to 65 C and allowed to extract for an hour -- 24 hrs at room temp would probably be fine, too. The alcohol turned a light forest green. The alcohol was then filtered out using a very fine seive, and was placed on a hot plate and evaporated at about 65C. The resultant residue was scraped off with a razor blade and was smoked.

I'm blaz-ed!

--
Micro

PBeester (Pissybee)
Username: Pissybee

Post Number: 291
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 04:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't DMSO that stuff that makes anything absorb into your skin or for plants it can penetrate the cell wall?
PB

micro (Micro)

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 06:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah -- DMSO is a good solvent and it can be a carrier for a lot of drugs. It enhances the penetration of other drugs, too, along with it.

THC is not very soluble in it, though, so it's a good way to extract it.

--
Micro

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Username: Xochipilli2012

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 03:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if by railing you mean snorting.

then you better expect resiny boogers.

smoking or tincture will probably work best.

I've heard of people using isopropol alcohol and denatured alcohol for making hash oil but not dmso.

I'll have to give it a try soon thanks.

jimmy jublanski (Zoomerhead)
Username: Zoomerhead

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 03:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my friend railed some weed!! it looked pretty painfull to me. imho just smoke the shit, it works good, always has, always will. i guess what i mean is why mess around with and already good thing. as for making "oil" the boys use butane as the solvent!! it has a low boiling point so it takes care of reducing and evaporating the product...i'll see if i can get some better details if you want. when i smoke oil i can always tell if rubbing alcohol was used cause it makes it taste like shit!! so if anybody wants my advice about making oil "don't use iso"

micro (Micro)

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 04:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butane would work, too, or ether, or acetone and probably MEK. The only reason I used rubbing alcohol was because it's all I had in my apartment.

--
Micro

(Message edited by micro on November 17, 2003)

Smerd (Smerd)
Username: Smerd

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 06:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the idea is that you use the DMSO to "clean" the pot, then alcohol to derive the THC?
Pobody's nerfect.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 06:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colonize it and grow mushies on the buds.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

drugiedugie (Dugzup)
Username: Dugzup

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

leave it to the Rabbit

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the taste and smell to much to do anything to my lovely buds.
Microscopes are my hobby. I do not cultivate anything.

Erebus (Debremus)
Username: Debremus

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 12:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No offense because its a cool idea, and not much different than hash, but I think extraction makes pot look bad. If knews were to spread that people started to snort pot extractions, it would be one step back in the prohibition.

Just kinda reminds me of cocaine thats all. Btw does snorting it work?

micro (Micro)

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 04:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So the idea is that you use the DMSO to "clean" the pot, then alcohol to derive the THC?"

Right.

Erebus -- I was joking about snorting it -- I don't know if it would work; it's not water-soluble so it might not.... I'm not really going to try, though.

I think it looks neat -- it's a green sparkly powder ;)

--
Micro

Zoomer (Zoomer)
Username: Zoomer

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 05:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scared me micro, railing usually mean shooting up. I think that would have been a bad choice.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7772
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol
who cares what people think ?
we could all be little alter boys
singing inthe choir
and drugs would still be illegal.
so let 'em think what they will,
and do what you will.
nice to see you're still playing with DMSO,
micro.

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

Erebus (Debremus)
Username: Debremus

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 05:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol good point hippie

noshadows (Noshadows)
Username: Noshadows

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 08:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what people think = perception.

why have this board to educate people about psychadelic mushrooms?

it is too hopefully educate people and contribute to a positive perception of mushrooms...to foster a community.

marijuana perceived as a mild painkiller makes a stronger case for legalization than marijuana perceived as something that intoxifies.

and in the name of science, good work, micro.
Violets shift in the radiant night,
They dance as they shift from purple to light.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 7786
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i run this board as a way to subvert and eventually change society,
not individuals.
we have no control over others' 'perceptions',
and it's a waste of time to conduct one's life in a way that seeks to create impressions.
in other words,
be your self & to hell with people who disapprove.

micro (Micro)

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 05:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol! You gotta have goals....

Yeah -- I needed something to do with the rest of that bottle -- it's the same bottle I used before. I think I'm going to buy some crappy pot next and try the sulfuric acid isomerization thing -- apparently you can turn all the cannabinoids in the pot into active ones, so it becomes more potent -- it's supposed to work really well for crappy pot, but not so well for good kind bud, since most compounds are already in the active form.

Damn, I need some sleep....

--
Micro

The AOC (Angryorangecat)
Intermediate Member
Username: Angryorangecat

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that what frying in butter does?

micro (Micro)

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 12:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No -- the butter just dissolves it. I'm talking about this (copied and pasted from somewhere: )

<><><><>

Isomerization: This method is out of "Dr. Atomic's Marijuana Multiplier," one of those early 70's doper pamphlets. This process assumes you have pure hash oil to begin with.

"Dissolve the hash oil in absolute ethanol or pure methanol in the ratio of one gram extract to ten grams solvent. There must be no water in this solution, as the next step is the addition of one drop of 100% sulfuric acid per gram of extract. Add the acid slowly, drop by drop, stirring slowly and completely, with a long glass stirring rod. Place a Pyrex pot containing the extract-alcohol-acid solution into the refluxing apparatus and reflux for two hours. The acid will not evaporate and will remain in the Pyrex pot. Allow to cool. Take the cooled solution, pour with an equal volume of water and 1/2 volume of petroleum ether into the ether-extraction apparatus (separation funnel). Allow to settle, and drain the ether extract layer. This leaves an ether-extract-acid mix from which the acid must be purged. To accomplish this, pour the ether-extract-solution into four volumes of 5% sodium bicarbonate solution (1 gram bicarb. in 20 grams of water). This will neutralize the acid, releasing CO2 and leaving a solution of sodium sulphate. Allow this to settle into layers, then drain the ether-extract layer. Mix the ether-extract solution with an equal volume of pure water and let it separate. Drain off the ether-extract layer. Evaporate the ether and what remains is hash oil in which all of the cannabinoids have been converted into THC."

<><><><>

This should actually increase the amount of d9-THC to a higher amount than was in the pot, in the first place.

--
Micro

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 12:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people and your overabundance of weed to
experiment with . ..

I'm hanging out with the wrong crowd..

sol

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 01:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what do you guys think of using denatured alcohol for extraction of thc?

someone I know said a friend used denatured to make oil and got 12 grams out of 15.

also another friend told me that he read that using alcohol drags some waxes and other unwanted plant material.

yet my other friend says the potency of the denatured oil was great and he hates the butane taste from the butane extractions.

but dmso sounds like a great way to go about getting rid of the impuruties.

yet I don't know if denatured alcohol is safe to use for extractions.any advice?would denatured leave anything unwanted behind(residue from the type of alcohol)?

just worried about my health.and having some trim and tiny nuggets drying right now,I've been pondering about finding the best and safest oil extraction other that the butane method.

thanks for the dmso info micro.I'm gonna have to get some.

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 01:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn micro thanks for that isomerization method.

but that works best with not so good herb right.

will that work best for wet bud since the cannabinoids are not active yet?

micro (Micro)

Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 03:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denatured alcohol is fine -- it will all evaporate, just make sure you dry your product completely. Also make sure it's only denatured alcohol -- you can test it if you want by evaporating some of it on clean glass -- it should leave no residue.

Alcohol works fine but it will extract a lot of the oils, too, by itself. This is fine to smoke, though -- it makes good hash, IMO. The DMSO wash will get rid of most of the oils, but any non-polar extraction (i.e. butane, hexanes, chcl3, ether, etc) or alcohol extraction (or acetone??) by itself will leave you oils.

Psycho -- you can't use wet pot, anyway, because the H2SO4 will react with the water. The bud must be really dry, and the alcohol has to be anhydrous (denatured is ok as long as it's anhydrous.) I wouldn't think that drying the pot would change any of the compounds, though.

It's even possible that this method could produce active compounds from legal sources of hemp, but that's speculation. Hemp does have cannabinols in it, though, so it makes sense....

Cheers!

--
Micro

Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 03:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah i forgot that wet pot = water+pot DOH!

I will buy some denatured at home depot and test to see if it leaves residues.

thanks micro

driftwood (Driftwood)
Username: Driftwood

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back when I was in college one of my friends had a really good kief box that we used on the best buds we could find (it was a top shelf indica). And then we snorted the kief. Besides blowing green snot out of my nose for an hour I didn't notice any real effects. Others claimed to experience various levels of highness...

I can't believe I actually snorted pot! I know it sounds dumb but I didn't see any harm in trying... definitly not something I would do again...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 7950
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it can't work,
as THC is not soluable in water.
so snorting it is a total waste.
not to mention you proly do not want nor need rotting vegetation in your nose and lungs.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 7951
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: