Alien's Substrate Formula Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Grain Teks Alien's Substrate Formula Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Simple Cubie Tek - 1

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420)
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2001 - 11:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was thinking of trying the alien substrate, and so i went down to the health food store to get the stuff... they had everything except the finch-seed... is that just birdseed for finches like you get at a pet store?.... well, if not, i don't know where i could get it... the recipe says not to substitute anything or it will screw up the balance in the substrate... anyone have any experience with this substrate or know the answer to my finch seed question...?

Festerfreak (Festerfreak)
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2001 - 11:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the penningtons brand they sell at walmart it works great. I let it steep in hot water for about an hour because it has some crap called bird-kote.
Peace

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2001 - 11:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx fester... it's odd... the ASF i got was from the shroomery and the ingredients are as follows:

Alien Substrate Formula
· 2/3 cup of quinoa (health food store)
· 2/3 cup long grain brown rice (grocery store)
· 2 1/4 cups spring water
· 1 1/4 cups vermiculite (Wal-Mart)
· 1/8 cup flax seed (measured before grinding)
· 1/8 cup finch seed (measured before grinding)
1/8 cup whole grain rye (rye berries) (measured before grinding)

however, in the archives here, in the alien tek the ingredients are:

Alien Substrate Formula
2/3 cup of quinoa (health food store)
2/3 cup long grain brown rice (grocery store)
2 1/4 cups spring water
1 1/4 cups vermiculite (Wal-Mart)
1/8 cup flax seed (measured before grinding)
1/8 cup rye berries (measured before grinding)

could this be an older formula, a newer formula, or just a different one altogether... Fester, you must use the first one right? is there something wrong with doing it without the finch seed like it is stated here in the archives?

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 03:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Alien updated his Tek, I am not sure which substrate is his most current, both substrates will work.

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 03:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you Nan... i wasn't sure if it would hurt going without the finch seed

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 04:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see any problem with skipping the finch seed as long as the substrate has the proper consistancy and moisture content.

Shroom Glossary

Admin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7069
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 08:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from an anon poster-
Quinoa as a substrate..I have ALOT of jars of quinoa
colonizing right now.. Have done simmer on stove top, then PC, Just soaked then PC,
and Just PC'd(which is the only method with little to no results, too hard to get
the water content correct) I'll write the info here, and you can either discard it,
or share it..
Simmer on stove top--bring to a light boil, and allow to simmer for 10-15 min, no
more than that..Strain it, fill pint jars 3/4 of the way, and add 2 teaspoons of
vermiculite, Quart jars 3/4 of the way and add 2 tablespoons of vermiculite(not
level spoonfulls), Put lids on, then shake tha jars to mix the quinoa & vermiculite
together..PC at 15 PSI for 35-40 min...then innoculate as usual..Adding the
vermiculite makes the moisture perfect, and keeps the seeds loose, and airy...Done
in 1/2 pt jars, with vermiculite barrier as PF TEK, cakes colonize just as fast, if
not faster..I've seen I believe it was aliens TEK using quinoa, but it was while
adding many other grains, and alot of extra work..

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: