Reverse Osmosis... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Water Reverse Osmosis... Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Ryan Waters (Zerogravity)
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 04:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am using a tek for growing liquid mycelium innoculant in a distilled water/malt extract medium. The tek I am using From Mush Mush notes to use distilled water (also to boil it before use) and my dilemma is this, I have relatively inexpensive access to a product called Reverse Osmosis which is supposed to be THE purest Form of H2O possible at the consumer level. The problem is, I have also heard that for some applications (eg. expresso etc.) it is not a feasable substance due to it's total freedom from all minerals and bacterias.

Does anyone have any experience with this product in this application, or any solid information related to the needs of the mycelium at this stage that would help me make this decision?

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 05:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it's all I use: RO Water and I recommend it highly for all your mycology water needs.

A Drunk Bastard (Adb)
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 07:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only tidbits i can add about reverse osmosis water is:

it is PURE... pure pure pure pure pure.... yes i'm also a nerd(possibly paranoid bout contams) who would boil it b4 use as a precausion(overkill), but it 'should' be pure pure pure pure pure.

i've also read an article, it was not in a peer reviewed journal n i'm blankin on the reference right now(big deal in scientific community, peer reviewed articles) that said that reverse osmosis water, as a sole water source, leached minerals out of the human body... calcium, magnesium n stuff.... makes "some" sense as it's pure as it gets, no minerals or nothing n therfore not a good water source for us, but for our applications when combine with other things, brf n such... should be just fine if not excellent as i'm under the belief we're addin enough nutrients to the system(though i'm not a mush guru only amateur mush man).

never done malt extract deal but the post in the archives by AFG dealing with the Honey Tek liquid mycelieum using tap water is very similar to what i've seen done successfully :)

nuecrew (Nue)
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 10:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought some reverse osmosis filters 20 years ago trying to get around tedious and costly column chromatography. NOT. They came in 12" lengths packaged serpentine and when opened up look like a condom with the end cut off. They were preserved in Sodium Azide solution, about as friendly as Sodium Cyanide. I remember I could buy them in porousities starting at molecular wieghts of around 700 down to table salt. It's funny you mentioned using one of those filter units as I thought that was going to be my next investment around here!