PF Redspore Psilocybe Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Spores, Prints & Syringes » PF Redspore Psilocybe « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Username: Spacecowboy

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesis of the PF Redspore Psilocybe
by Yachaj Paye
Nov 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the determination tables of the twentieth century (i.e. before the development of genetic fingerprinting) one of the key features to distinguish the mushroom genus Agrocybe from Psilocybe was the color of the spores. Psilocybe mushrooms have dark violet, almost black spores while Agrocybe spores are of a rusty brown ('fawn') color.

These pictures show the weakness in the classification of mushrooms along the lines of macroscopic features. Shown are the gills and the spores of the 'Psylocybe Fanaticus' redspore cubensis, compared to the spores and gills of a 'PF Classic' Psilocybe cubensis. The redspore is a mutation of the PF Classic mushroom which appeared in Psylocybe Fanaticus' lab (I believe it was somewhere in 1996). Robert 'Billy' McPherson (aka 'Psylocybe Fanaticus'), planned to release the new cubensis variety in the spring of 2003 along with the long awaited 2003 edition of the PF TEK book. Unfortunately the US Government decided to terminate the company www.fanaticus.com on February 18th 2003. During the raid, most of PF's unique collection of cubensis genotypes was seized and later destroyed.

This is the second time the DEA has almost destroyed the life work of a magic mushroom pioneer. The first time was in 1981 when the DEA raided the greenhouse of Stephen Pollock (discoverer of Psilocybe tampanensis and collector of a series of famous cubensis varieties such as the Matías Romero). In the Pollock raid, many unique mushroom strains were lost forever. But a copy of the Fanaticus collection was saved in time and sent in exile to Europe. The unique redspore was among the saved genotypes.

rs1
rs2

The redspored variety will not immediately be released to the public. The reason is that I first want to find out how to proceed to 'officially' secure Robert McPherson's name to attach to this unique mushroom variety. If it is classified as an Agrocybe then the name should be Agrocybe mcphersonii. It would be the first published example of a psilocybian Agrocybe. The other possibility is that it is the first published example of Psilocybe cubensis with fawn-colored spores. In that case it probably is a 'Psilocybe cubensis var. mcphersonii'. Or even Psilocybe cubensis var. fanaticus. Whatever the outcome of this classification and naming debate will be, this mushroom shows that the mycological determination tables of before the time of gene technology are flawed (unless we assume that an organism can change genus over a single generation).

Psilocybin was confirmed to be present in the variety and it appeared to have the same potency as Psilocybe cubensis.

The spore color is also a neat clearly visible feature which can bring the 'fanaticus' varieties of cubensis mushrooms out of the closet and to the classrooms (to do mushroom breeding experiments). It can serve a similar purpose for mushroom science as the eye color does in Drosophila flies and the color of the peas in plant breeding experiments. This is especially so because the cubensis is perhaps the easiest and fastest microscale cultivatable gilled mushroom known.

No matter what the official Latin name will be, I feel that the name Robert McPherson should be atttached to it, to commemorate the man who popularized the cultivation of psilocybin mushrooms. Twelve years after the publication of the Psylocybe Fanaticus Technique (September 1991) nearly all of the home-cultivated Psilocybe cubensis and a huge portion of the commercially available Psilocybe mushrooms are grown on a PF-style substrate. Evidence of that forms the vermiculite dust on the stems of the mushrooms (vermiculite is an essential ingredient of PF Substrate, a 'batter' of brown rice powder and water on which the mushrooms are grown). This substrate doesn't need a pressure canner and it was invented by Robert McPherson.

Unfortunately, it happens quite often that someone discovers a mushroom, sends it for identification to a mushroom expert and later finds out that the expert has named the mushroom after himself, or a friend or a family member of his. That should not happen here. For that reason the Psilocybe cubensis var. Mcphersonii aka. 'PF Redspore' will not be released until its name is secured.

Yachaj Paye

If it's not broken, then the government will try to fix it until it is.

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Username: Xochipilli2012

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very interesting

Harry Hood (Fluffhead)
Username: Fluffhead

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what he planned for the 2003 edition
of his Tek?

Sharkie Jones (Rainbowfungus)
Username: Rainbowfungus

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing that and good luck. I prefer SharkieJones Psilocybe myself.

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Username: Spacecowboy

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to mention, this article came from www.erowid.org.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_m ycology1.shtml
If it's not broken, then the government will try to fix it until it is.

faht (Fahtphish)
Username: Fahtphish

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

something about this is very fishy to me... i don't believe it actually. i need more proof.. not that it matters. lol but im bored.

fahtster
says: hello :-)

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess we will have to wait until they release it. :-)
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 05:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jessie

Hope this helps :-)

Cleanjar (Cleanjar)
Username: Cleanjar

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 09:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not a red print, it looks brown. Shananagans!

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Advanced Member
Username: Fmrc

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first documentation of a red spore producing Psilocybe cubensis
was done by
me. In 1982 I collected a single specimen of the "RED BOY" out in a
pasture
located in Cantonment, FL. When I first picked it, I noticed that the
gills
were off colored. I had also been collecting a wild Stropharia that
looks
very close to the cubensis, but once again the gills did not look
right.
It was not until after I had laid all the mushrooms out from that day
to take
spore prints, I discovered the RED print. Picking up the mushroom and
looking
at it, I remembered it from the field. I immediately took a tissue
clone, and
placed the RED print, which was very dark and red, in a special place.
I also
began cultures from the red spores. The strain did in fact produce
mushrooms
that produced red spores.....this was true even from cultures grown
from the
spores. I spoke to other people who ordered the spores from FMRC's
spore
bank, and they too confirmed that the mushrooms produced did in fact
produce
red spores. Not only did FMRC offer the "RED SPORE" producing P.
cubensis,
Catalog Number SO4241, but also other rare finds such as P. cubensis
"Non
Spore Producing" SO4242, Ps. cubensis "White Angel Hybrid SO4243, P.
cubensis "Maroon Gill Hybrid SO4244, and a Psilocybe to this date that
never has been
written about (except by me) or named. It produces sclerotia that are
blue
glass-like looking. It was named the "Pscho-Sapphire" and was the
color
photograph in #04 "TEONANACATL", The International Journal Of
Psychoactive
Mushrooms (TEO), May 2003, #SO381. In 1994, when the Federal DEA
destroyed P. cubensis cultures at our national culture bank ATCC, I
sent out all these and many other cultures abroad. Culture banks
throughout Europe, and the CBS in The
Netherlands, where I also placed Ps. tampanensis SO421. The DEA knew
I had more than what ATCC had, and I did not want them destroyed. The
RED SPORE cubensis is probably the original SO4241 that has been
passed on, or either ordered
from one of the banks I placed it in. In any case, the whole purpose
of shipping them out of the country, was to keep them alive and
going.....who knows what secrets they hold, never to be found if
destroyed. All said cultures and spores were removed from FMRC's
Catalog at this time.....The spores of this mushroom were scarlet red..............slp/fmrc

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7966
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any significant differences here other than spore color ?
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

banjojo (Banjojo)
Intermediate Member
Username: Banjojo

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 05:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does it bruise blue?
there's a fungus among us!

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Advanced Member
Username: Fmrc

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 05:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Red Boy" S04241 was exactly the same as normal
wild Ps. cubensis, even microscopic features. What
ever it is, that causes the spores to be red, it
must be something rare. This situation, to my
knowledge, does not exist in any other species. And,
it does upset the standing mycological rules on a
mushroom's spore. I only just ran one quantitative
analysis test for Psilocybin on the "Red Spore", and it was .20%
slp/fmrc

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8009
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 06:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps it's a defect.
purple is red + blue.
perhaps the 'red' spored cubie lacks a gene or enzyme that would normally add the blue tint to the red to give purple.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

Cleanjar (Cleanjar)
Username: Cleanjar

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Positively a rare (if not off-the-wall) occurance for any one Shroom. I have found albino cubes in the wilds of florida, but nothing this far out of the ordinary.

More pictures need to be seen. Pictures of the full fruitbody perhaps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: