The Makings of A Flowhood Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. The Makings of A Flowhood Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 675
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally got around to making one of these. I am using the Flowhood plans in Mycotopia's Tek section. Total cost has been right under $300. The hepa filter was $140 shipped, and the blower was $125 from Grainger (New).

Here are some Pics of the Filter. Back:

Upload

Top:

Upload

The front of the filter has a weather stripping type material around the edge.

Upload

Start out cutting the pieces as described in the tek. There was an error in the tek however. It says the side pieces need to be 13 1/4" high, and this is incorrect. They need to be 13 1/2" assuming you are using 3/4" wood. Here is a pic of the sides, bottom, and back assembled.

Upload

What the filter looks like in box: THE FILTER IS BACKWARDS IN THE PIC

Upload

Upload

Now screw on the top. Once thats added, the furring strips need to be put in. This will be what the filter presses up against in the box.

Upload

Upload

Here is a sample of what a finished product may look like without the blower:

Upload

ONCE AGAIN, THE FILTER IS BACKWARDS IN THE PIC.

More pics to follow shortly.

(Message edited by highflyer on September 27, 2004)
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 12:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet. I'd recommend caulking all the joints unless you already glued them. It will help to hold the pressure and create the laminar flow you want.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 12:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am gonna use silicon sealant on all the joints. :-)
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7917
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 01:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material.
great post, nicely illustrated.
thx for sharing.

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

bonsai (Bonsai)
Intermediate Member
Username: Bonsai

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 06:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice.....Are you going to build a box around your blower with a prefilter? Stament's box looks like that costs $495 and has no pre-filter.
Good job and it should last you a nice long time provided you add that pre-filter.
bonsai

Atleski Phirant (Atleski)
Username: Atleski

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 07:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that filter facing the wrong way?

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 686
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 10:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, im gonna make a prefilter.

Yes, the filter is facing the wrong way in the pics. Its not permanately in yet. In the final pic, the top is not screwed in and is laying on the top.

The weatherstripping side of the filter is actually the front, and should be facing out of the box. I was thinking that the purpose of the weatherstipping was to help with the seal, and thus should be in the back. That assumption was wrong.

Moose (Thidwick)
Intermediate Member
Username: Thidwick

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 04:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highflyer, does the construction of the filter itself make the flow laminar? In other words, being "boxy", does the inlet side of the filter create the laminar flow for the hepa side?

Basically, just supply the inlet side with an inch or two of pressure generate the correct laminar flow?

One last question: source for the filter?

Thanks for sharing, great pics!

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pressure and also the baffles (look closely at the top picture) work together to create the laminar flow. The prefilter can be something as simple as a furnace filter duct taped to the intake.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 12:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the hepa from Fungi Perfecti.

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 708
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question:
Here is a pic of the ground on the blower. Should I leave it grounded there, or extend the ground cable to include it in the plug? That ground cable does not come out where the other wires do, and it is much shorter than the others. Looks like it should stay put to me. Opinions?

Upload

Atleski Phirant (Atleski)
Username: Atleski

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm no expert, but I think you should just tighten that screw down on the green/bare wire from your power cord.

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two more pic updates.

The hole for the blower. Silicon around the hole, then screwed the blower in.

Upload

The complete box minus the hepa and prefilter. Waiting on silicon sealant to dry before the filter goes in permanately.

Upload

May put some stain on the box tonight for visual appeal. :-)

philnweird (Highroller)
Username: Highroller

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would leave the wire as is. Always have, no problems yet. Project looks great by the way. I was thinking though, you may want to turn that fan 90 degrees to face the squirrel cage to the rear so as to avoid getting your fingers or anything you may sit on the flowhood caught in it. Either that or put some type of guard on it.
See wire?
Upload
"He took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall......."

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 714
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for alleviating some of my worries with the wire.

There is gonna be a prefilter housing around the blower once im done. :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8081
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my wire's the same too so don't sweat that.
might want to paint it with anti-fungal white paint

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking too that you may want to apply a coat or three of varnish, polyurethane, paint, or something glossy like that to seal the pores of the wood. Plain wood is probably a great place for contams to hide out. Dunno if stain would do the trick.
"He took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall......."

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D'oh!!!!!!!!
Way to go Hip.

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Added some weather stripping on the inside around the furring strips to help with the seal.

Upload

A closer shot of the weather stripping:

Upload

The complete box with the filter in:

Upload

What the air current is like:

Upload

faht (Fahtphish)
Username: Fahtphish

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 11:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice, looks like im gonna have to make one, i mean everyone else is doing it! :P that peer pressure is such a bitch!

fahtster
says: hello :-)

Moose (Thidwick)
Intermediate Member
Username: Thidwick

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 03:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks great!

The green wire thing... that is your grounding wire. There are two wires that come from the motor and get the juice.

In simple terms, wiring goes like this - the black wire is the "hot" wire. If you have to wire your own cable to the motor, what you'll want to do is cannibalize a 3-pronged plug and cable. The wires inside the cable will probably also be black and white. The switch is wired into the black wire, while the white wires are connected directly, thus the switch interrupts the "hot" line. You'll also have a green wire inside the cable, this is the grounding line and is there for safety, and is the 3rd "prong" on the outlet plug. Attach the green wire from the cable to any portion of the metal framework of the blower. An ideal position is the same screw terminal as the green wire which is on the blower motor itself.

The green cable is there to route any shorts from the metal blower to earth, so you don't get shocked if something goes bad.

The blower motor will work with a 2-wire cord, but is not as safe. With a 2-wire cord, the hot line is defined as one of the following

Black wire

Narrow prong (note how many cords have a fat prong and a skinny prong - polarized)

Smooth wiring insulation - on lamp cord (zip cord) one side of the insulation has fine ribs, and the other side is smooth. The smooth is the hot side.

HTH, I can draw a picture if anyone wants me to.

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, like moose said, the green is the ground and is to take shorts there (to ground) instead of through your body. The green wire on hf's picture is to insure a good bond (it's actually a bonding jumper and not a 'ground') between the motor and the fan housing. Your power cord green wire should be attatched to the ground lug at the motor connections.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: