A quick question for highroller? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. A quick question for highroller? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Username: Xochipilli2012

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey highroller I have a quick question about humidifiers if it's ok.

my ultrasonic fogger just crapped out on me.

and since I need to replace it I was wondering which you find more useful or reliable.ultrasonic fogger,ultrasonic humidifier,or cool mist humidifier?

I searched the archives but found mostly set ups for minigreenhouses.

and since I'm gonna upgrade to a full room set up(10ft x 8ft x 6ft).I wanted some advice on what worked best for you.

do you use a homer tek set up?

I just want to spend my money on what would fit my needs the best.

any info would help.

thanks.

and highroller you da man.

I have much love and respect for you.

philnweird (Highroller)
Username: Highroller

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the love and respect. Don't know what I did to deserve that, but I'll take all a dat I can get. Right back at ya.

With respect to humidification I have used two different types of humidifiers. Started out with a Trion impeller type cool mist which worked very well. The unit broke however, and I have yet to find replacement parts.
In the meantime I switched over to an ultrasonic type. These units also work very well at maintaining a humid environment. I use three of them turned to the lowest setting. Not because one won't handle the job, but because with three of them I only have to refill them once every 24 hours, as opposed to filling one unit running full out every eight hours. The units are placed inside the fruiting chamber in front of the HEPA inlet for distribution. The ultrasonic units are cheap enough at $30.00 a piece (as opposed to $200.00 for the Trion) and seem to last pretty well running 24/7, although I have had one crap out on me.
I guess it's a matter of preference as to what type one uses, but that's how I do it.
Sounds like a nice room you got planned. Good luck with it.
"He took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall......."

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a pic of two of them in front of the discharge end of the blower inside the room. Not the greatest pic, but you get the idea. They're the type one can pick up at any pharmacy. 1.5 gal. capacity.
I like to keep it simple and stay away from any homer-esque type set ups. Just throw it in there, fill it up, turn it on and adjust for proper humidity in the room. Upload
"He took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall......."

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the info.

greatly appreciated.

and to get my love and respect all you did was show that you have the balls to pull some shit off,and also share your knowledge with others in need.

thanks again.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 7989
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think one key thing for any humidifier is to always use distilled water. many used to complain [myself included] that ultrasonics crapped out too fast but since i started usingf only distilled, never tap, water my humidifiers last longer.
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/29852.gif

Mushroom Zen (Sno)
Username: Sno

Post Number: 790
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah I run into calcification problems too with my ultrasonic...

Distilled is the way to go. My HEPA just crapped on me... need to get another tonight, any suggestions as to a good one to get?

highroller, you said the humidifiers are in "front" of the output? i.e. the HEPA sucks air in, filters, and blows out and takes the mist with it?

My HEPA motor rusted tight. It just sits there and hums... I had it on the floor since that's where 90% of the contams are, and just ran it 24x7 to suck air from ground level and blow it up into the chamber. The entire room is covered in plastic, floor included. Then I had the humidifier on one of the top shelves to let the mist drift down on everything.

Sometimes I had it too misty in there though... I'd open the curtian and it'd be like walking into a cloud... hehe

What ultrasoncis are getting for 30? You mentioned a pharmacy?
-Zen

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a problem. I think everyone is here for the same reason: gathering and sharing knowledge gleaned from others and our own experimentation.
Keep us updated on your progress, eh?

Mushroom Zen (Sno)

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so um, no suggestions on a good replacement for my HEPA? or ideas on low priced ultrasonics?

-Zen

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hold up. I missed your post Sno. I was typing out a response to psychonaut. hehe.
For one distilled water is a good idea. It would eliminate calcification problems although I personally don't do that. I do add some hydrogen peroxide occasionally to help ward off contams. Shoulda put that in there.
Also, I mean to say that I place the humidifiers "downwind" of the output. No moisture other than that in the air outside of the room is taken through the blower and HEPA filter.
Since most contams ARE located within the first foot or so from the floor I pull my air from the highest point outside the room. The room has a positive pressure to it, so air is forced out from the room through cracks and seams.
Ultrasonic units like the ones shown are made by Vicks and Reli On and cost $30.00 or so at Kmart and WalMart pharmacies. Her's a pic of the blower motor outside the fruiting chamber.
Upload

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I built my own hepa for like $100(flowhood).

bought a fifty dollar fan on ebay(but they sell the motors at grainger).

$20 dollar hepa filter and a couple furnace filters(2 blue ones and 1 regular fabric)

and some bins,vent duct and duct tape.

I gotta go buy my humidifier but i will post pics of my flowhood for you zen when i get back.

I actually got the idea from the archives somewhere.

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as HEPA filters units for the fruiting room, I don't use 99.999% laminar flow filters anymore. The air should be filtered, but it's no clean room. I now use Filtrete brand furnace filters cut to fit and stacked 4 deep. Much cheaper and contams are no more of a problem than when I was using expensive laminar type filters.
As far as blower motors go, I get mine from furnaces, stove hoods and any unit that requires moving air. Check flea markets, yard sales and the like for cheap ones. Northern tool or places like that probably offer them for sale as well, but you'll pay more.

Mushroom Zen (Sno)

Post Number: 795
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, you never did post pics about your grow room... I wanted to model it in my setup!! You mentioned doing it before you went to that festival but never mentioned it when you got back... Still interested in doing that for me?

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/7747/4087 0.html?1067050871
-Zen

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's right. Sorry Sno. Was that just the fruiting chamber or the whole op? That was some festie...........

Mushroom Zen (Sno)

Post Number: 796
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so I heard...

Um, the whole op if you dont mind... you can PM them to me if you dont want to post em, that's cool... I just would like to get the skinny on it so I can model mine after it. I seem to pretty much have mine setup similar but would like specifics for tweaking.
-Zen

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 143
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got mail.

Mushroom Zen (Sno)

Post Number: 797
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so do you...
-Zen

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 7997
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no fair, i wanna see too.
i'll post 'em for ya if you don't want it traced back, i've done that for others, i don't worry as i'm clean.

Mushroom Zen (Sno)

Post Number: 798
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-Zen

Mushroom Zen (Sno)

Post Number: 799
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my guess is that it would be MAJOR archive material.
-Zen

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 02:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry. Stepped out for a bit.
What were we talkin' about?

More mail?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8030
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 06:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please.

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 09:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got mail Hip.

Mushroom Zen (Sno)

Post Number: 805
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 12:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope those aren't the pix... cause I didn't get mine...
-Zen

philnweird (Highroller)

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 12:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. Not yet.

pz (Psil0candy)
Username: Psil0candy

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man i can't wait 2 see this...u tha man HR !

loosid (Loosid)
Intermediate Member
Username: Loosid

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 07:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey if you're sending the pics via email, highroller, you think you could PM them to me? i've been waiting to see this but i'm thinking that it's private? please please please!
thanks so much
peace loosid!
Anything I post is relating strictly to legal, edible mushroom. I have nothing to do with any prohibited substances, plants or mushrooms.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8233
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 02:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

somehow highroller's account here got deleted and we're not sure who might have accessed his computer so he's out of communication for awhile until he figures out if there's a problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: