Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. My flowhood Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Atleski Phirant (Atleski)
Username: Atleski

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the basic idea for my flow hood from this one: Laminar Flow Hood

The total cost was $410-430. The Hepa is 24"x18"x5.8" and was purchased from Fungi Perfecti for $175 shipped. The 1200cfm, 3 speed blower was purchased at an online auction for $60, but the motor went out after a week and I was sent a new one for $15 shipping, so be wary. 3/4" Malamine was used for the box and it was rather expensive at $50 for a 48"x96" sheet. This project required two sheets of malamine. If I were to build this box again I would go with a cheaper 3/4" plywood and only use the malamine for the work area. All of the joints were sealed and bonded with an all-purpose adhesive chalk. The lighting is a low profile flourescent fixture that cost $30.

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The box is 46" long and 45" at it's highest.
Here I've drawn in the panel I built in after these pictures were taken in order to keep the intake and output part of the blower box seperate so pressure would build and a laminar flow would occur. (Thanks Roger)

(Message edited by atleski on November 24, 2003)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The top was built to accept a 14"x20" filter.
The filter was held in place by the two strips of wood on either side and then the front was pushed in tight and screwed in from the sides.

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first pre-filter is a fiberglass furnace filter.
The second pre-filter is a slightly more expensive particle filter.

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The flow seems to be nice and even with no turbulence.
I've had this flow hood up and running for two weeks now and I've performed several successful transfers. Agar plates and grain jars were intentionally left open over night in front of this flow hood with no contamination.

The work space measures 25" deep, 25.5" wide and 18.5" inches tall. This hood is big and heavy, but it works well and there is a huge work area to perform g2g and agar work. Any volunteers to help me carry this thing when I move? I want to thank Roger for all his help on the wiring aspects of this project.

(Message edited by atleski on November 24, 2003)

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 712
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks sweet.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Username: Spacecowboy

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am soo jeleaous, that flowhood looks spectacular!
If it's not broken, then the government will try to fix it until it is.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8079
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice.
archive material for sure.
thx for sharing it with us.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From that flame, it looks like you have the flow just about right. Congratulations!
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Joe Millionaire (Rotterdam_y2k)
Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ekam Sat Vipras Bahudda Vidante"
The One Truth is named by the wise in many ways.

bonsai (Bonsai)
Intermediate Member
Username: Bonsai

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 06:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice job. It does look like it weighs a bit. Only comment was it appears your pleats are going horizontal. Should be vertical so no dusk or anything can get caught on a ledge.
bonsai

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 04:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Agar plates and grain jars were intentionally left open over night in front of this flow hood with no contamination."

I wouldn't try that again. Even at 99.99%, overnight gives a lot of time for that other .001% to land on your project.

"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8159
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 01:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only comment was it appears your pleats are going horizontal. Should be vertical so no dusk or anything can get caught on a ledge.
someone should point that out to fungi perfecti,
my factory bought unit has them running horizontal just like the pix above.

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 03:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the way the filter is made, not much any of us could do about that, if anything even needs to be done. I think Fungi Perfecti would tell you that the flow hood is suppose to be left on 24/7, so no dust would settle anyway. I've also read that if the flow hood is to be turned off it should run for a minimum of 30 minutes before each use.

I wouldn't try that again. Even at 99.99%, overnight gives a lot of time for that other .001% to land on your project.
This was a one time test. There is no reason to do that again that I can think of.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. They are much appreciated!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8175
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if the flow hood is to be turned off it should run for a minimum of 30 minutes before each use.
FP recommends the same.
and keep it covered when not in use.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: