Chuīs GloveBox (real time step-by-ste... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive ŧ Archive ŧ Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. ŧ Chuīs GloveBox (real time step-by-step) Ŧ Previous Next ŧ

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member
Username: Chu

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello to all,

Today I had some time to start making my glove box (from now on, GB). So I put my shitty digicam to work and got pictures of the first steps. I plan to keep on documenting the construction of my GB. I based my ideas on the gloveboxes in the archives, as you should see. However, please note Iīm developing ideas and setting up my gb RIGHT NOW, in other words, obviously I havenīt tested the GB yet. Iīm surely working to make the best GB I can, but I have no guaranties it will work until itīs constructed and used a few times. Only after that Iīll be able to testify the eficiency of my set-up.

As you are being informed of the construction as it takes place, I ask you to bear with me. I expect to find out, for example: that I need more parts than what is in the original list; that I need/want to change details of the original project; that I have to work more than what I wished; that Iīll put the GB construction aside for a few days once in a while. But none of those will keep me from concluding this thread.

Thanks

Chu

Well, letīs get started with... Figure 1 is the project (sorry about my lame word skills)

gbproject

One very important step is the electrical part. Hereīs an easy-to-follow circuit, that should be safe and not messy.

elec

Now letīs make a list of parts:

1. 1 120X120mm 110/220V fan
2. 1 Eureka HEPA filter
3. 1 sheet of furnace filter
4. 1 sheet of air conditioner filter
5. 1 8 W UV-C Germicide tube
6. 1 6W fluorescent tube
7. 2 ballasts for 6-9W tubes
8. 2 capacitors
9. 4 lamp plugs
10. 2 capacitor plugs
11. 6m of thin double-wire
12. 1 male plug
13. 1 3-pole switch or 3 single switches
14. screws for the vent, lamps
15. sandpaper, hot-glue
16. 1 large Rubbermaid-like container
17. 1 piece of plexyglass, in the size of the window

Eureka HEPA filter
hepa

Fan and HEPA filter with beer can.
fan+hepa+beer

First thing I did, after getting all the parts, was marking where to cut the holes for the hands and for the inflow.

marks

So I heated a knife till glowing red and cut the holes.

frontview

I also cut the window hole on the lid. I drilled a few holes with a hot drill to fix the fan and the lights, but itīs not visible in the pictures.

topview

Thatīs it for today. Iīll post some more as soon as I work on it again.

Peace

Chu

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8149
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you'll proly need to modify/replace the lid,
they seal pretty piss poorly.
you want a little leak, for posi air flow but i find the standard lids leak too much.
archive material.
thx for taking the time to photo document the process then sharing it with us.

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey hippie, thanks man.

I forgot to mention in the materials 1 silicon tube. I plan to make a good seal between the lid and the box by passing vaseline on the lid and pressing it against the silicon on the box edge.
Thatīs still a few steps away...

As I said, Iīm constructing the GB now, so any comentaries, critics and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Peace

Chu

loosid (Loosid)
Intermediate Member
Username: Loosid

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 05:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey hip,
what do you recommend replacing the lid with?
i'd have a hard time getting something that would fit better, foaf has a normal GB (no possi) and he put silicon around the lid and tried to keep it even, then smoothed it out with his finger to try to get it more even and the let it half dry (so the it was moldable but not tacky- let the exposed part dry) and then put it on the box again and pressed it down lightly so that it forms around the box and took it off again to make sure it wasn't being glued down.
so he made a little o-ring around the existing lid

peace!
loosid
Anything I post is relating strictly to legal, edible mushroom. I have nothing to do with any prohibited substances, plants or mushrooms.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8229
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 02:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that sounds ok, stick a layer of saran wrap under it and that'll seal it pretty tight.

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 04:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used weatherstripping on the underside of my pos. press. box lid. It made a nice seal.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello guys,

Iīve been very busy last week (final tests...) so I didnīt have the time to buy the plexyglass.

I hope to proceed with the gb assembling next week, please, bear with me...

Thanks

Chu

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8763
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 02:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone!!! Today is a very happy day for me: itīs my birthday!!! And my present is an almost-finished Glove Box. Thatīs right, I got to work on it today, and surprisingly there are just a couple things to finish.

Well, enough talking...

I got a 5mm thick policarbonate sheet. Thatīs the material car plastic headlights are made of. Very resistant and clear, UV protection on one side.

I made a few holes on the policarbonate sheet and matching holes on the lid. Then I passed silicon on the lid fitting, put the policarbonate sheet in place and finally put the screws in place.

Hereīs the lid, finished.

pi0007

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Continuing...

Something that took me more time than I expected was smoothing the holes with sandpaper. I had to be vary careful because itīs really easy to brake or make cracks on the rubbermaid.

Hereīs the box with lid after smoothing with sandpaper:

I also passed sandpaper on the spot of the HEPA filter, since Iīm going to need an abrasive surface for the silicon to stick.

Next step was to place the vent. No secrets here: just four holes for screws and a big one for air. The flow direction is to the inside of the box. The vent is outside the box.

Iīm going to put a piece of furnace filter covering the vent from the outside, so I also put a protection the outside of the fan.

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please note in the last picture that I sealed the vent with silicon glue, not the hot one to be used with the pistol(?), the ones that vulcanize in 24 hours, sold in tubes like toothpaste.

So by now the GB is like this:
side-view

top-view

Next step was to fix the light tubes holders. Iīve already made the holes for that in the first day of work.

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that most of the cutting and drilling were done, I moved on to the electrical part. Iīd like to put something here:

PLEASE, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SET UP AN ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL. IT COULD BE DANGEROUS FOR MANY REASONS: YOU CAN BE ELECTROCUTED OR SET YOUR HOUSE ON FIRE IF SOME WIRE IS CONNECTED WRONG!!!

Being aware of the risks, letīs proceed...

I put the light tubes on their holders and connected their plugs.

from inside

from outside

Then I sealed the holes of the connector plug wires with hot-glue. Pay close attention to the connectors I use: they are cheap (at least in my country), very safe and much easier to handle than electricianīs tape.

In the electrical circuit I posted in the first post of this thread, the ballasts and capacitors were draw in a red square. Thatīs the representation of the box containing almost all the wiring connections. The ballasts and capacitors were fixed in there, and the switch-box was attached on the top of the box.

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I then cut the wires to connect the light tubes and the vent, each in the correct length, so all of the wires would have the same length at the switch/ballasts. I connected all the wiring according to the diagram in the first post. I performed a test before I tied the wires and closed the box, and... IT WORKS!!!!!!!!

Once I can turn the thing on without burning my house down, I tied the wires, closed the switches and the box.

The HEPA filter is one of the most fragile part of the GloveBox, so I left it to the end. I laid the GB on the vent adjusted the filterīs place, put something fairly heavy on it to hold it in place and hot-glued the hell out of it. Now, the filter is fine...

the filter, on a wider view

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So hereīs a last shot of todayīs work. Notice the wiring is all tied up now.

OK, Iīm finished for today. Soon Iīll do the lid sealing and Iīll place the furnace and a/c filters on the outside of the fan. I believe those will be the last steps, so Iīll post the pictures when I do it.

Iīll be back...

Peace

Chu

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 9111
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

happy birthday!

Roc (Rochester)
Username: Rochester

Post Number: 646
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work!

Happy BD!

Roc

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Job. I like it when folks clean up their wiring instead of leaving a rats nest. I hope it works out for you. I still think it will work out better with the fan off, but time will tell. Keep us posted!
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 9118
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 05:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, that's the next step,
testing it out.
try a few agar plates, expose to the air inside there for several seconds then see what grows.

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 545
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 05:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Er, one question.
Wouldn't you put the Heppa filter on the outside of the box?
that way it wouldn't get wet from cleaning solutions
used on the inside of the box.
And it would be sucked to the surface of the box instead
of being blown away from it
Looks real pro otherwise, a real nice job of explaining too
Hope this helps :-)

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 08:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Imok, the filter positioning was the most difficult to decide...

I decided to go with the filter inside because it fitted real good this way. It would have been a pain in the ass to fit it from the outside. Plus, this way I have some room between the vent and the filter to spread out the air pressure equally over the filter. Itīs small room, indeed, but itīs something...

Thanks for the advice, if it doesnīt work Iīll try the way you said.

P.S: Iīll post the next steps in a few hours.

Peace

Chu

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 04:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by chu on December 12, 2003)

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 04:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Letīs put the filters over the fan.

I put two layers of filters. One is a furnace filter (black) and the other is a a/c filter (grey). The furnace filter is closer to the fan, while the a/c filter is the outermost.

Those are the filter sheets I used.

I wrapped the vent with the filters and held it in place using braces.

You can see in the pictures the furnace filter. I did the same with the a/c filter, over the furnace filter.

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 05:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, letīs move to the problematic part. Sealing the lid...

As I said I would do, I passed vaseline on the lid to prevent the silicon sticking to it. I put a line of silicon on the edge of the box, where it touches the lid.

Then I put the lid on, and left it drying overnight. It should work, but it didnīt... The silicon sticked to the lid as well, even with the vaseline, so I believe I fucked up the seal when pulling the lid away. I had no option, since the lid was going to be permanently attached.

Now, Iīm not sure what to do. Maybe Iīll try to put a little more silicon over the silicon that is already there. Or Iīll see how saran wrap works for sealing. Iīll keep you posted.

Peace

Chu

Chu (Chu)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 05:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippie, I was trying to post this in the thread Chuīs Glove Box, as this message is part of that thread, but it is in the archives now, and I believe I cant post there... Please, move this message to that thread. Thanks.

MESSAGE)

Hello guyīs, itīs been quite sometime since I last posted the progress of building my glovebox. Well, here we go again...

I solved the problem of sealing the lid with saran wrap and tape, so I could get to test the glove box as soon as I assembled my growroom-style clean-room. That took a good deal of time, since I had someone else sewing it for me.

The images show the GB inside the bubble-like clean-room. The clean-room is a cube-shaped structure 1,8m long, 1,2m wide and 1,9m tall. Itīs supported by a PVC pipe frame.

Now Iīve got a clean-room to test my glove Box in...

I work in a molecular biology laboratory and I carry a mammalian cell culture under very strict sterile conditions and procedures, so I believe I know how to safely handle sterile materials, and keep them sterile, of course. Before anything I turned the HEPA filter vent on, cleaned the inside of the GB with 70% ethanol and left the UV lamp on for 10 minutes. What I did next was to open petri dishes with antibiotic-free medium in three different conditions: (dish 1)one was open inside the GB for 20 seconds; (dish 2)the second was open inside the GB and held 5cm (2in) from the HEPA filter; (dish 3)the last dish was open outside the glove box. The dishes were incubated for 36-48 hours inside a drawer.

Results:

Dish 1: not contamined.
Dish 2: not contamined.
Dish 3: strongly contamined.

Iīll perform another test like this one in a few days, just to be sure... But for now, the GB works very fine!!!

Finally, now I can start a few cakes with homemade mycobags as described by hippie in the archives.

pic description 1
pic description 1

Peace

Chu

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: