Koh samui on compost Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Compost recipies Koh samui on compost Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Fictictus Amongus (Shroomophile)
Username: Shroomophile

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew these on homemade compost using the styrofoam composter tek described on this site.

Upload

jimmy jublanski (Zoomerhead)
Username: Zoomerhead

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 01:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool. my friend has been wanting to try that composter for ever, but now he has to wait until spring..cause you have to do it outside. how about some more deatils like what u used for ingredients and such.....thanks

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8611
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a nice flush.
what ingredients did you put in your compost if you don't mind us asking ?
and in case no one has said it yet,
welcome to mycotopia,
glad you could join with us here.

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made larger batches but this was the ratio.I used 2 1/2 gallons wheat straw run over with the old lawn mower a time or two.1 gallon composted cow manure from wal-mart.1/2 cup rye flour,and a heaping tablespoon of hydrated lime.I added 1 quart of water just to get the dung and flour to adhere to the straw.I took it to 160 for 2 hours and then let it fall to 135 and held it for 3 days.I then let it fall to 125 and held that for 2 days.Then i brought it inside and let it cool to 80 and spawned it with 1 quart jar of steamed rolled barley innoculant.After 7 days i cased it with ryche hawks 50/50+ casing mix tek.The casing to the left with the pins is the same tek a few days behind so i'll post a few pics along the way.

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 03:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so it only took 5 days to make your compost? then you spawned it in the "pail". waited for colonization then cased it? and the baggie overtop for humidity?

where did you make the compost? in a shed or soemthing or did you let your setup run outside? sorry for all the questions but my friend has been really curious about this type of setup. he is even considering getting some worms and making his own worm castings cause it can be done in the house.

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 03:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it went quick because the cow poop was already composted.I just tried five days because of the straw and flour.It looked good at that time.Outside my house i made a little 3x5 greenhouse and the composter sets in it.I'll post a pic tommorow.I am going to try the worm thing next because i've heard good things about the worm castings.

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 03:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool. pics would be nice. are you thinking about making worm castings or just buying them? they look super easy to make i just wonder how long it would take to get a nice amount of them....something like this

http://www.nyccompost.org/how/wormbin.html

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 04:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna make my own.Cut out the middleman and all that.I read that you can raise red worms on corrugated cardboard alone.It's the bedding and the food.They eat 50-100% of their weight each day.I'm guessing if they excrete 25% as waste then 10 pounds of worms give 2-3 pounds of castings.

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 04:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was thinking bout feeding them straw and coffee grounds. do you know where your going to get your worms from yet? 2-3 pounds of castings would be very nice!!

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 04:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A google search will give you tons of suppliers,but i think i will go to the bait store and get a few dozen.Start small and dream big is my motto.

banjojo (Banjojo)
Username: Banjojo

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 05:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my god! that link has pictures of my worm bin! They use the exact same tupperware I have.
there's a fungus among us!

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 432
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 08:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The easiest & cheapest worms come from any bait
store, but there are many online spots wherein
you can buy a really scary sack of worms for
a fair price ($50.00 or so) if you don't want to
wait.

Like others, I prefer to start small and let 'em
grow and multiply. They'll also eat newspapers and
they love leftover mashed potatos the best IME.

Soliver

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8665
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2003 - 10:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material to compost recipies

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda goofed here.I put the compost in one of those translucent cake contaniers from wal-mart.The light caused the pinning at the side so i cut the container away to let them come on.It increases the surface ares so i guess it's okay.

Upload

Looks like i will get some big ones out of this one.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8683
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the more
the merrier.
now you have a huge compost 'cake'

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing what 24 hours can do.
Upload

pjcfly(That Guy) (Lostandconfused)
Username: Lostandconfused

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 02:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice!
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."
- Salvador Dali

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8839
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting, isn't it,
how cubensis seems to prefer fruiting at edges ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: