What's a pin? What is pinning? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive BRF TEK : BRF Cakes. How long does it take to get fruit? Pinning??? What's a pin? What is pinning? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

property of Friedrich Nietzsche (Economist)
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 06:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've searched the archives all over and I can't seem to find a good definition of "pins"

I've seen the fanaticus pic with the primordia growing on the cake just before birth, but are those the same as pins? My jars have been 100% for 1 - 1.5 wks now, and most of them have "white fuzz" and little bumps of mycelia. what does that have to do with pinning?

i know i could wait all of 2 wks and I'd probably have shrooms anyways, but I'm curious. pics of pinning cakes would be v. cool.

Lichen (Lichen)
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 06:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the word 'pin' is short for primordia, and more specifically, primordia at its earliest stages. Also associated with 'hyphal knotting', hypha being one of the threadlike elements of the mycelial network, and when the mycelium begins to form small dots or bumps or knots, it is the beginning of the fruiting cycle, and many of these 'pins' will go on to actually become carpophores, or mushrooms. Many of these words can be found in a good dictionary, but 'pin' in this sense is not one of them.

nuecrew (Nue)
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 07:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good Lichen. You are a good teacher. I would ask one of the moderators to archive the above thread, Lichen,12/02/01 6:30pm.