Update to Flatcake Tek: Crumble Tek Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Misc Teks & Questions Eatyualive's Flat Cake Tek Update to Flatcake Tek: Crumble Tek Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Idea: Minime, no MinicakesEatyualiveFishy111 1 12-26-01  03:19 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Eatyualive (Eatyualive)
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 05:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so basically you have a flatcake that falls apart. here is what i do when this happens. i crumble the pieces into marble size balls and throw them in a pile and then add some damp verm on top. this works just as well as the flat cakes do. i think it is bc the mycelia is not as tightly bound as in a half pint cake. here are some pics of the leftovers that i had after i cleaned 3 flatcakes b4 dunking. after the dunk i followed the directions above.1

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 03:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice, as alway

Snoopy (Snoopy)
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 11:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea.. I find that I make the layer of myc. to thing in my casings, and definately run into that problem when I go to dunk them.. they fall all apart on me. Definately will give your idea a shot. Great thinkin' Eatyou.

Mr. Tambourine Man (Tambourine_Man)
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 11:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How solid is a flatcake cased with vermiculite once the vermiculite has been completely grown through with mycelium and is on the verge of pinning? Is it solid enough to hold its form while being picked up and moved around, vermiculite casing and all? Or is it pretty delicate and shouldn't be moved very much?

plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420)
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 11:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they should hold together pretty well, but i wouldn't go handling them with your hands because of contam risk... but you can move them around if you are careful

Eatyualive (Eatyualive)
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 11:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plink is right. sometimes mine are very solid where i could drop em and they won't fall apart. but at times they are weakly bound and require care. you should be able to tell when you birth them.

nuecrew (Nue)
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 04:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've done a few flatcakes with good results. A piece 12 x 18 x 1" will support its own wieght if held by the ends. Thats after fully colonized.

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 05:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everbody-

Is that with a "grown-through" vermiculite casing layer?

plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420)
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 12:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2001 - 01:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!