Havin A Go w/Chronic Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Invitro [MycroTeks] Havin A Go w/Chronic Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8754
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 10 02, 10:54 PM GMT
I'm going to combine a couple of things here to start.

First off, I built a suitable fruiting chamber for the project from a couple of rubbermaids, fish tank heater, pvc, egg crate light thingamabob, light fixture, and timer. (Pics to follow later).

So last sunday 12/1 I put 3 Creeper 1/2 pints, and four Mazzie 1/2 pints(split pint cakes) into quart jars per Chronic's Tek. It was sort of hastily done, but everything looked Ok. I've had a friend fan the setup once a day, for air exchange. I wasn't sure if it needed this, we've since changed to every two days. The temp has remained within a degree or two of 76 degrees. There has been a spike or two, measured by my thermometer, low of 69, high of 79, but I believe these were brief.

So I checked on the setup on Sunday night, 12/8. I've got nice pins on one of the creepers!! Yay! I forgot to take pictures of this, I had a hectic cultivating schedule that night, maybe pictures this coming weekend.

Last night, I added a Lipa Yai 1/2pt brf cake, and a Thai Koi Samui 1/2pt brf cake in quart jars. I also added two 1 pint Creeper/Millet cakes in half gallon jars. I enlarged the holes in the lids to 3/16" from 1/8". All cakes were dunked and cold shocked for approximately 22 hours.

Here's my 1/2 gallon setup, nothing remarkable

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 10 02, 10:59 PM GMT
I found that when I drilled the holes for the quart jars, there were no edges on the holes to keep the risers from blocking the holes. So I glued a couple in place, am curious to see if any residual chemical vapors affect shroom growth

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 10 02, 11:02 PM GMT
Ok, so then I got to thinking, what if I made some straw/poo pint cakes for use in this project. I started by chopping my straw in a blender to get it a little finer. Finished product:

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 10 02, 11:05 PM GMT
Thanks, ab, we'll see how it works out. Good luck on your endeavor, my friend.

I also threw my poo in the blender to get it finer as well. *note to self: check thoroughly for small rocks in the poo!! Blended poo added to straw:

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 10 02, 11:06 PM GMT
Mixed in a roughneck tub:

I've found that this works wonderfully, the mixture comes out like rich humus, after water is added in small amounts to get content correct. Smells good too, like tea almost.

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 10 02, 11:12 PM GMT
Placed in mycobags for sterilization. I've read differing views on the sterilization vs. pasteurisation debate. Anybody care to add their thoughts? I don't see how sterilization can be all that bad, I guess I'll find out soon! Pic is after sterilization, lots of steam inside.

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 10 02, 11:15 PM GMT
Mixed with Creeper colonized millet and packed in pint jars. Eventually ended up with 8 pints (covered with filter disc and plastic lid)

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 10 02, 11:23 PM GMT
I guess that's all for now, I'll update as I go, hope it turns out well, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. Props to Chronic for being a pioneer, I'm just playing with existing ideas. Parting shot of pint jars:

Posted by: HapplyDeranged Dec 12 02, 12:47 AM GMT
did you pastruize or sterilize.......chronic tek looks good but i dont think that doing cakes ( i guess thats what your doing in the quarts) are a good idea because it contams easly so ive heard, never tried it. i guess your the pioneer in this one....good luck and be clean clean clean. (you should do a few brf cakes or alien sub cakes as backups incase this go's south)

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 12 02, 01:08 AM GMT
I thought about contams, I figure I'd never know if I don't try. I sterilized the s/p mixture, hoping this works. This project is probably doomed to failure, so that's what I'm really expecting. If it succeeds, I'll be one happy (and trippin) mofo.

Yeah, I've usually got plenty of brf cakes on hand, got some fruiting in my neglect tek fruiting chamber as we speak.

Posted by: DirtyWOP Dec 12 02, 08:55 AM GMT
How come you didn't leave it in the bags?
Or sterilize in the jars?

I like pasturization better because it hold up better to contams. When you sterilize, you have to make sure it's sterile. Anything you sterilize should be spawned thru sterile procedure. Transfering sterilized material to new jars and mixing w/ spawn and whatnot is asking for contams. When you pasturize, that kind of thing is acceptable. But good luck. Make sure those pints have a lot of air exchange.

I never sterilize anything that doesn't stay in the jar until it's colonized. Besides tools.

Posted by: HapplyDeranged Dec 12 02, 05:32 PM GMT
what strain do you have going invitro?? you should do a 50/50 doung/spawn ratio i think to suceed.....because it will colonize in like 3 days....lol

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 16 02, 10:16 PM GMT
Well, to back track a bit, here's my fruiting chamber, ala double rubbermaid incubator style: the 18" floro fixture is screwed to the board through the lid.

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 16 02, 10:17 PM GMT
the inside set up, temp probe in inside corner

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 16 02, 10:21 PM GMT
Here's a creeper put in vitro 12/1. Lovely ladies looking good.

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 16 02, 10:28 PM GMT
Here's a Mazzie

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 16 02, 10:31 PM GMT
One more creeper

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 16 02, 10:35 PM GMT
Here's a straw/poo pint four days after spawning, looking pretty good so far

Posted by: Fred Garvin Dec 16 02, 11:02 PM GMT
I drilled the holes in the lids, which left a smooth surface, and I had problems with the risers sliding around and covering the holes. So I decided to use a plastic lid. I melted the four air exchange/drain holes, and a small pilot hole in the center of the lid with a hot nail. Then I screwed a #8 2-1/2" plated deck screw into the center of the lid, and glued the head of the screw to the outside of the lid. Then I glued the riser to the inside of the lid, centered over the screw. When all is said and done, I can screw the cake onto the screw and down onto the riser, and the cake and riser are both held firmly in place. It's a beautiful thing. (so far) Here's my over engineered contraption:

Posted by: Fred Garvin Jan 07 03, 12:23 AM GMT
Here's a few recent pics

First flush from two mazzie cakes

Posted by: Fred Garvin Jan 07 03, 12:25 AM GMT
Thai Koh Samui second flush

Posted by: Fred Garvin Jan 07 03, 12:26 AM GMT
Fourth flush Acadian Coast

Posted by: Fred Garvin Jan 07 03, 12:27 AM GMT
Second flush TKS

Posted by: Fred Garvin Jan 07 03, 12:33 AM GMT
My straw/poo pints didn't work out so well. no contams, but only two pints colonized at all. I think I had too much poo, not enough straw, and packed it into the jars way too tightly. Oh well, its fun to experiment. Not giving up yet, I'm trying some birdseed/verm/brf and millet flour pint cakes. These colonized like a mofo, and I'll be putting them into 1/2 gallon jars next wknd. Hopefully they'll be some progress to report.

Posted by: Chronic007 Jan 07 03, 01:16 AM GMT
Nice picks buddy!!!! And I bet they were the easiest mushrooms you ever grew. I've never tried birseed in the quarts, can't wait to see your results.

Posted by: Fred Garvin Jan 07 03, 01:36 AM GMT
Thanks, Chronic. That feels good to hear that from you.

They are definately easy. It's like that showtime rotisserie where the dude says "just set it, and forget it!"

I tried some straight birdseed pint cakes colonized with EQ, but it wouldn't pin or do anything at all. Then I was reading on PF's site that he says the key to the pf cakes fruiting at all is the vermiculite. So I says to myself, self make a pint cake out of birdseed and verm, with a little brf and millet flour thrown in for good measure. Taking a cue from Mycota, I added some rape seed and flax seed to my millet to maybe add some delayed release nutes to the mix. So we'll soon see. Making the pint cakes was super easy, just took a little of the ground up pf cakes I used to inoculate some quart jars of BS. Hopefully they'll fruit well in the 1/2 gal jars. If I can get that to happen, it'll make a more efficient use of my fruiting chamber, as the 1/2 gal jars have basically the same footprint as the quart jars, just taller, which is wasted space anyway. If it works, I'd theoretically get twice the harvest from the same space. If not, I'll be an abject failure

J/K

Posted by: Fred Garvin Jan 07 03, 01:50 AM GMT
Hey Chronic, if ya don't mind my asking, but what strain have you found that works best for your tek, if any? Those pics in your tek sure look nice and uniform.

By the way, I've found that I can dramatically increase the hydration of the cakes when dunking, by using a vacuum container and my food saver vacuum sealer. If I dunk in a regular jar for 20 hours, I have found an average water weight increase of 30 grams in a 1/2 pint cake. Using the vacuum container, I can increase the water intake to an average of 60 grams over the same time. You can see the air bubbles being drawn out of the cakes, to be replaced by water. It's a pretty cool thing to watch. Have yet to see if I can reduce dunking time and still get the same results.

I'm just waiting for my wide mouth jar sealer accesory to arrive, and then dunking in individual jars under vacuum will be possible. Too cool.

Here's a pic of two Lipa Yai cakes being dunked in this manner. BTW, I left the small shrooms on the cake just for fun to see what would happen.

archive material

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Username: Mycophil

Post Number: 598
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 06:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow !

Marvin Martian (Marvinm92)
Advanced Member
Username: Marvinm92

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 08:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice post... :-)
A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkeys monkey...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8852
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 02:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chronic really set the bar pretty high for improving the pf tek. wish he'd post more.

Harry Hood (Fluffhead)
Username: Fluffhead

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would the chronic tek be a good way
to get a clean cap for printing?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 9032
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep.

farmerlucky03 (Farmerlucky03)
Username: Farmerlucky03

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dadadadamn
"McElroy were one of the same. We're Skyhighatrists."
Formula 51

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: