Fully Automated HOMER Grow Chamber Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. » Fully Automated HOMER Grow Chamber « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

The AOC (Angryorangecat)
Intermediate Member
Username: Angryorangecat

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 05:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Originally posted by FungusMaximus elsewhere.

NEW HOMER SYSTEM

Well I did it again!
I redesigned the closet homer. For those of you who never saw the first Closet Homer I'm working on making the thread available again.

This is MY definition of what homer means.
HOMER fully automated system, including misting, air exchange, light, and proper temperatures for maintaining fungi species.

I am not the creator of this “HOMER” system. If I remember correctly it was CapitanMarx ?? I believe
I simply saw his setup named ’Scaleable Homer TEK’ and made something similar. He never gave instructions or details of this setup. I pretty much had to wing it and design my own. I basically just used the idea of fully automated inter-connected bins.

First off Id like to start with maintenance of your mist maker, fogging unit.
Up keep on the unit is essential to its operation and longevity. You must only use DISTILLED WATER in your fog reservoir. If you use tap or mineral water your mist maker will last about 2 months before its fried.
Remember to buy replacement parts when ordering your mist maker. Mine requires new parts once a month after a month of daily use. Replacement parts are 1-3$

Upload

Here is the mist maker set up you will need, it includes: a mist maker unit, a buoy, and a splashguard. The buoy keeps the unit afloat at the proper depth for fog production.

Upload

Here are some pics of a dirty unit

Upload

A dirty mist maker

Upload

Dirty internal parts

Upload

Open the buoy

Upload

Dirty Styrofoam from inside the buoy, bacterial growth.

Upload

Now, you must keep the water inside your fog reservoir clean. Bleach and peroxide are a no no!

The only thing I recommend to keep the water clean and not harm the fog unit, is IODINE.

Upload

Add two drops per gallon of h20.

Upload

I use 2.5 - 3 gallons of water in a 5-gallon bucket as a reservoir for the fog unit.

What prompted me to rebuild a new homer? Well it was because the first design took up allot of space and was awkward in my odd closet. And I was given a new greenhouse that would not fit inside the closet. I took the old 3 level greenhouse and cleaned it up good. Then I did the same with the new greenhouse, which was only two levels/shelves. Then I stacked em on top of each other. This was a problem since I didn't have a plastic covering to cover the newly created greenhouse shelving system.
So I used a commercial grade mildew resistant shower curtain. I first split it in half and covered the remaining exposed area. The top half I used the original greenhouse covering. Since my greenhouse would not fit in the closet without wasting space to access the door, I made a new one from the side.

I used industrial strength Velcro to attach the 2nd half of the curtain to the new door.
Here is a side view

Upload

Velcro shower curtain

Upload
Upload

Now here it is fitting perfectly into the closet space

Upload

You may have noticed the greenhouse is elevated off the ground.
This is helpful in keeping dirt etc from entering the open bottom

Upload

The bottom of the house is lined w/ perlite. The house sets on top of a Rubbermaid container lid, to catch dripping water.

Upload

Now, the fog unit consists of a 5-gal bucket with the mist maker inside.
And a filtered air unit.
Mist makers/ foggers don't make any air movement so you have to push the fog to move it.
It doesn't take much air at all to move the fog. You will want the air to be clean since it is going into your clean fruiting areas. The fan is mounted inside a 5 gal. Water dispenser container, I call it a culligan. So now you have two parts of the fogger unit. A culligan fan and a fog reservoir.
connect the two and attach an out put hose to you bins and greenhouse.
Here are the homer bins sitting on shelves across from the greenhouse.
You don't want a ton of fog pouring out of the output hoses. Too much and you will saturate anything inside the fruiting area.

Upload

Notice the timer for the fogger unit. Duration for your custom setup is, well.. custom. You will have to play with it to figure it out for your setup.

Here is the fog reservoir (bottom) and culligan fan (top) with black corrugated sewer hose (new) connecting the units. Timer and inter connecting PVC piping to the greenhouse and bins.

Upload

Upload

Ok I attached clear plastic tubing to connect the bins so I needed a nipple to connect the two; I used rubber gloves to attach the nipples to the PVC. That way they are multi directional.

Upload

Here is the connection to the greenhouse

Upload

Inside the house, a kitchen sink size plumbing PVC distributes the fog.

Upload

The fog cascades downward over the shelving unit.
Here it is in action

Upload

Greenhouse fogged up.

Upload

Here is a look at what the fog output hoses should look like when operational. Not much fog is needed.

Upload

Here is a final shot of the outside of the closet. I still have enough room to enter the closet and shut the door. Before I couldn’t get inside at all. I placed a small stand inside w/ a hepa unit. This pushes clean air around inside the tiny closet, enough to improve air exchange inside the greenhouse and inside the bins.

Upload

Closet Homer Completed.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8974
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 06:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

excellent.
thx
archive material
check your PM's

spekters grace (Spekter)
Advanced Member
Username: Spekter

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 08:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow neat stuff there...but what are the advantages of going this far? pros/cons? bigger yields? is it easier to operate? this is alot to setup in ones closet is it really worth the effort?
"How would life be if the world smoked weed. I Guarantee it'll be peace not greed." Kottonmouth Kings

aim = sp3kter
hushmessenger = spekter
[email protected]

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 771
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 08:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An advantage of a setup like this would be alot of fruiting chamber space, and automation.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8984
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 09:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whether it's worth the effort is a judgement call, based on personal circumstances.
and for the vast majority, the answer would be-
no.
but some folks like to rig up fancy ways of doing simple things.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: