Sterilizing Syringes Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Spores, Prints & Syringes » Sterilizing Syringes « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 9033
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by scotsman

Once you start getting big shrooms and big flushes
well that’s the time to start making you own prints
and syringes.
I explained earlier how to take prints now a few tips
on syringes preparation.
Time taken sterilizing your syringes will be time
well spent, good clean syringes mean good and
more importantly contamination free jars.

Its so easy making sure your syringes are contam free.

Start with the syringe and have your foil cut and ready.

Posted by: scotsman Aug 30 03, 09:08 AM GMT

Get a pot and fill it with water and bring to the boil.
take the syringe and fill it with the water in the pot,
suck it up and empty it at least10 times, then suck it
up and leave the water in it.

Posted by: scotsman Aug 30 03, 09:10 AM GMT
Once the syringe is full of water wrap it in the foil, drop
it into the pot and let it boil for 1 hour, keeping an eye
on the water level.
It’s ok to add half a cup of water now and then to keep
the water level up.
Once its cool remove and store for syringe making.
The water inside the syringe is now sterile so can be
used in the glovebox.

by scotsman
archive material

(Message edited by admin on December 10, 2003)

Sharkie Jones (Rainbowfungus)
Username: Rainbowfungus

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to put mine in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes at 15 PSI alot less time waiting that way. Either way it would work though.

Marvin Martian (Marvinm92)
Username: Marvinm92

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 05:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do the same... When ever I PC jars if I have syringes that need to be sterilized i wrap in foil, submerge and hold in place with jars, PC, remove and ziplock...
A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkeys monkey...

Joe Blows (Smoking420)
Username: Smoking420

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 06:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats going a little over board on getting a syringe sterile dont you think? I have always just took the syringe apart submerged it in a cup of water , stuck it in the microwave until it starts to boil. Then allow it to boil for 30 seconds to a min. Then just take the syringe out with tongs and lay it on some papertowels. Put the syringe back together and let it cool before filling it with spores. Takes a few mins not hours. Your method is going overboard to the fullest extent and makes things more complicated then they need to be. I have made hundreds of syringes this way and have yet to have one contaminate on me. Thats my 2 cents.

(Message edited by Smoking420 on December 10, 2003)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 9037
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 12:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats going a little over board on getting a syringe sterile dont you think?
better safe than sorry.
i routinely toss a few foil-wrapped syringes in the pc when i do up jars.
i don't see anything real complicated about scot's method, it's as simple as boiling water.
an hour of boiling is proly over-kill i'll admit but can't hurt.

Joe Millionaire (Rotterdam_y2k)
Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I am a millionaire, I just buy more sterile syringes...
"Ekam Sat Vipras Bahudda Vidante"
The One Truth is named by the wise in many ways.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 9046
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

reduce, reuse,
recycle.
be earth friendly.

perrch01 (Perrch01)
Username: Perrch01

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think thats overboard on sterlizing at all. Sterility is not a quick process, for example to sterilize contaminated water to the point where it is safe to drink you have to boil it for at least 20 minutes. I'm fortunate that I haven't had to sterilize syringes yet...

Marvin Martian (Marvinm92)
Username: Marvinm92

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for the fact that you are putting all your eggs that basket makes me go the extra step too... Why risk contams at the earliest stage?
A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkeys monkey...

Smerd (Smerd)
Username: Smerd

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 11:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The method I use is similar to scotsman’s. First I suck into the (used) syringe 1 cc or so of alcohol, draw the plunger back and shake it around. I also put a little alcohol in the needle guard. I empty the alcohol then shake and rinse those out with clean water three or four times. Next I draw a full syringe of water that’s been boiling for 10 minutes and set the syringe on an alcohol wiped plate. After two minutes, I empty it into the sink – not back in the pot of boiling water – and repeat the drawing/expelling steps three more times. The fifth time, I leave the boiled hot water in, wipe the needle with alcohol, replace the needle guard and stick it in a fresh Ziplock bag.

It works but, now that I think about it, probably isn’t as sterile and takes longer to make than a PC’d syr. Would be good for folks w/o a PC, though.

Initiative comes to those who wait.

perrch01 (Perrch01)
Username: Perrch01

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 02:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alcohol takes a long time to sterilize anything. It is good to remove lipids and break capsules on some bacteria but to sterilize something (for example a thermometer in a nurses office) it would need to sit in the alcohol for a while (20-30 minutes)

Pipe Man (Story_teller)
Username: Story_teller

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 04:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've been wondering about pc'ing syringes. 15 psi for 15 min.
in an empty cooker except for the syringes, do you need to have them wrapped in foil? and do they need to be submerged? i wouldn't think it would matter but a good question. and at what point is too long?

story

" Grow them on brown rice,
harvest them when they are young and cool dry them with desiccant.
When this is done, they are an entheogen of the highest order. "
--PF

Smerd (Smerd)
Username: Smerd

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 12:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know for sure, as I haven't tried that approach, but I'd guess that you'd want them wrapped in foil (it can't hurt) and don't want them submerged. PC's use steam to sterilize. Why not, as Hip suggested, just chuck 'em in when you're doing jars? Kill two birds w/one stone.
Initiative comes to those who wait.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 9129
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 01:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they float, so submersion isn't easy nor required.
the foil helps prevent plastic melting if it touches metal sides of pc.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: