Post Number: 9034
|Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 03:02 am:||
When i started shrooming i started small maybe 6 cakes at a time , but as time went on and my love for shrooms grew so did my set up .
When it came to drying i followed all the teks and started this way using the drying chamber with desiccant , which i found slow .
The size of my set up grew and there came a time when fan drying became the only option . I had so many shrooms to dry i was worried about what type of fan set up to use .
First i split the shrooms into 3 or four parts because this make them dry quicker with no loss of potency .
Get a cardboard box and 1 or 2 dish towels , dish towels are not as thick as bath towels so some air gets through . Its even better if you have some kind of mesh so more air gets through , i never had the mesh so i improvised , that's what i am an improviser.....
Place the towels over the box , try get a box that fits your fan , if the fan falls in get a knitting needle to stabilize it or improvise
Place and balance the fan on the box and leave for 36 to 48 hours , i dry mine in my attic well out of sight .
Go back every 6 hours or so and turn them over give them a lift , this helps speed up the drying giving all the shrooms a blast of air .
I was worried to start with about leaving the fan on for so long but its safe as long as you balance it correctly .
Get some kitchen roll and put a spot of desiccant in it , roll it up and tape it then tape it to the lid of an air tight container .
Thats it , use your coffee grinder to grind to a fine powder .
drying from below
cut a hole so your fan fits in and you can dry from below , the hole only needs to be a few inches square.....
Another example , sit them on top of your central heating boiler in a day or 2 there cracker dry
One of my favorite drier designs came out of my junk box (half the basement) and a heap of trash (the other half)... I found a nice 120v chassis fan in the first half, and a five gallon bucket with a broken handle in the second half...
I cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket and mounted the chassic fan to it with the airflow going up into the bucket.
I made some screens out of heavy wire (junk) and some old screen (trash) and hung three of them inside the bucket a few inches apart.
oh yeah... I took a broken shovel handle (trash) and cut it up to make legs to keep the chassis fan up off the floor a few inches.
In the summer time with the air conditioning on I could set the bucket drier over the floor vent and there was enough air flow that pins and verm would float. The air was quite cool and dry, the shrooms were ready for the dessicator after 24 hours.
Best drier I have tried yet. Took only 45 minutes to build, and I loved the price
(Message edited by admin on December 10, 2003)