Perlite??? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Perlite Perlite??? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 18, 2002TooMushTrippinTooMushTrippin15 1 01-18-02  03:42 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

ion ewe (Ion)
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 06:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little off topic, but here's an idea:

Try using a thin layer of perlite (as in the thickness of the beads) in the bottom of your jars (rice or grain) when colonizing. It helps the bottom colonize more easily, provides a place for excess water to go, and lets the mycelium wick it back up as needed. Very beneficial.

-ion

Hatcher (Hatcher)
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 08:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent advice Dr. Cube, I concur in every respect...:)
I use newspaper mainly to regulate the temp in my tanks--easy to lift one end of a 10 gal. unit and slide it in or out. Got them on a made-for-lizard rheostat too now tho..I've never grown w/o a reptile heater. And not a drip shield either, not after the first attempt.(I still harvested..) The water pours off a lid when it's lifted...

My brother is making me teach him what I know, and he tells me the local indoor grow room store sells heating pads for clones that run on thermostats,(!), and come in three sizes. Interesting, eh Cube!:) Get back with ya'll on that one...later!

Doc Thirst (Doc_Thirst)
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 03:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went ahead and hooked up my ultrasonic last night (might have read here first, oh well) and left the perlite in the bottom. As it sits right now there is little to no water collected on the bottom (under the perlite) and I am piping in mist for 10 min every 2 hours. I had to leave the lids cracked a hair last night and today, for fear of over saturation. I might removed the perlite tonight, but first I wanted to see the combined effect of the two. Last round I only used the ultra sonic and I found I had to drain the tubs almost daily. I'm interested to see if I can run it less often but maintian a good humid climate with the perlite.

Dr. Cubensis (Shroomzilla)
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2002 - 05:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOOOOO Hatcher, whats the scoop today buddy???
LOL! YEA! Interested in heat pads that run on thermostats... That would be,,, Ideal! Lemme know what you find out!!

Jesse, I am no expert in Co2 studies... BUt Mushies will flush, and flush well in a Co2 rich enviroment... The fanning is more for contams as far as I am concerned, contams love stale air.

But the fish tank heater and a LIL crack in the lid circulates air around fine. Fish tank heater actually divides ( the tube does ) and have one under drip shield and one above.. LOTS of air flow, even if there is not much air pumping in :)

ok, short on time today :)
gotta run!

Hope to see you all later, but if not, will post the regular monday update then :)

plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420)
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 12:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey doc... to solve he problem of the water collecting on the bottom of my rubbermaid from my ultra-sonic... i propped it up on books, with one side slightly higher than the other... then at the lowest point i just poked a little hole and put a bowl under terr. to catch the water... got rid of my perlite a long time ago... i didn't like it too much... i kept getting contams... not knockin' it though... just not for me

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 01:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, Plink,

Had MY share of perlite contam to, The large chamber my buddy has runs a humidifier, and
the glass 20 gal is perlite based :)

Kindav a compromise :) And, I am not really Partial either way, Both are used because one terrarium setup is easier to use with perlite,
and the other a humidifier..

From this guys first post, it was clear had used niether, and my suggestion to a newbie would be start with perlite, or, keep it simpple....

Catch ya later plink! Headed off in a hour, got a friend staying with me from sacramento Ca for the weekend, and we are thinking of taking the mountain bikes out, and dropping 3 grams of EQ's grown from cased dung... Yea baby! Haven't yet eaten any of my friends dung cased shrooms, wonder if they are more potent???

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 01:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, Plink,

Had MY share of perlite contam to, The large chamber my buddy has runs a humidifier, and
the glass 20 gal is perlite based :)

Kindav a compromise :) And, I am not really Partial either way, Both are used because one terrarium setup is easier to use with perlite,
and the other a humidifier..

From this guys first post, it was clear had used niether, and my suggestion to a newbie would be start with perlite, or, keep it simpple....

Catch ya later plink! Headed off in a hour, got a friend staying with me from sacramento Ca for the weekend, and we are thinking of taking the mountain bikes out, and dropping 3 grams of EQ's grown from cased dung... Yea baby! Haven't yet eaten any of my friends dung cased shrooms, wonder if they are more potent???

Doc Thirst (Doc_Thirst)
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 04:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey plink, I took your advice and drilled holes in a low (as I could get) point, then I plugged them with air-line from the pet store. I then ran the line back to a small bucket to collect the run off. Good call, seems to be working like a charm.

plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420)
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool cool.... glad to hear doc

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep Doc thirst...

Congrats....

But the REAL question is...
How low, can you go????

Ron (Clubbenguy)
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 08:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man I have never had a humidity problem. IF you have room for a tall drinking glass, fill it to the top with sterilized water, place it in the terrarium, and put the fish tank heater right into the jar. This is unbelieveable for the humidity. Sometimes I cant even see into my terrarium cause its so condensated. Just remember to keep the cup full of water. I didnt use a drinking glass, I just filled the bottom 4-5 inches of the tank with water, stuck the fish tank thermometer to the wall of the terrarium, and my rubbermaids fit inside the aquarium so I had two floating islands of casing and the heater not only keeps the temp perfect, but the humidity as well. Good luck.

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 09:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Idea RON!!!

GOODBYE PERLITE!!!!

Learn something new every day.... geez....

Ron (Clubbenguy)
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Doc,

The only downside is minimal space. A 15 or 20 gallon aquarium using this method would be perfect in my opinion. I am only using a 10 gal.

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20 gall over here, so no problems!!

You, Ron, are my hero for the day.. I hate perlite...

Ron (Clubbenguy)
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No prob doc, glad I could share some of my experimentation. This has been the most efficient/highest output humidity tek I have come up with so. All can provide modifications to make for an established addition/or a brand new Terrarium setup TEK. This is what this whole place is all about, right. For the non knowing to learn, and for the "educated" to update, experiment, and improve both current TEKS and TEKS to come. Happy Shroomin all,

RON

Ron (Clubbenguy)
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another downside is, and please tell me if correct or not, all this water may attact contams, much like shower mildew, however, I use h202 in that water so that may decrease this downside.

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are da man Ron, Thanks one last time for sharing your simple genious.

Will be shop vaccing out perlite this weekend
and placing a 750 ml thin pyrex beaker in the center of the tank over the heat pad.

Posted on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm,,,,

Yep, the mildew would definitely be a factor...

Hippie or Nan or whoever.... :)

Would adding a few caps of perlite poured into
a glass humidifier such as this affect growth, fruiting at all?

And if so, in what respects?

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 07:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>> Would adding a few caps of perlite poured into a glass humidifier such as this affect growth, fruiting at all? <<

Lost me here Dr. I was about to say this is where you can use Tincture of Iodine from the first-aid section at the drug or grocery store to keep the water sanitary. 5-10 drops once or twice a week will keep the water free from contams. Bleach is not a good idea because of the chlorine gas. Peroxide is not strong enough.

I have seen saturated salt solutions used as well, they do not breed contams, but you get salt creep everywhere, it's very very messy after awhile.

Stick with iodine.

Hatcher (Hatcher)
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 02:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my 10 gal. units, I've learned to pour a layer of verm directly over a perlite layer, case and double case. Otherwise, i.e., providing another source of humidity, the cakes would have to be put into lids of verm, which I found out will dry out readily w/o alotta attn. Like this, it's a non-concern. A small 10 gal. set-up, remember. Not hard to clean and replace.

Hatcher (Hatcher)
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 02:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and Cube!..still gotta get to the store on them thermostat controlled(moan) heating pads, but will be in touch if it's anything worth finding out!:)

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on Hatcher :)
I'll be here, unless, * gulp! * I get kicked out first!! LOL!!

Ron (Clubbenguy)
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 07:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hatcher, I did this with my first casing. However, it was in my experience that if i didnt leave the layer of perilite exposed to the air (with out the verm layer on top, I found it did nothing to increase my humidity becuase the moist air could not be circulated due to the verm layer covering the perilite. However, as far as keeping the casing moist, A+.

Hatcher (Hatcher)
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 07:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stange Ron, get all the humidity I ever (apparently) need. Heat w/a a reptile UTH tho, maybe the difference..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: