Misting? Moisture Control? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Casings. How to Manage the Watering of a Mushroom Crop Misting? Moisture Control? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

nuecrew (Nue)
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 - 08:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the first straw tek I started 3 months ago I tossed with the green mold that grew on it. Its taken two months to get this far with the second one. The pins that started two weeks ago have been wary of popping up. In the cracks and spaces in the peat I can see swarms of pins waiting to come out. I can also see many pins through the plastic underneath against the straw. I quit misting not wanting to inhibit fruiting. I pulled a little of the straw out and it is very moist. The casing is getting dry. I do keep it partially covered with an aquarium style top to keep in some of the humidity. My feeling is that the pinning may be stalling as some of the pins have turned gray and shriveled. I made this per Nans' Straw tek tips with Worm casting extender. 15 x 22", straw is 2" deep, casing about 1/2". Pics are end to end. Next straw tek I'll use the faster PF strain.Looking north 45*30',122*40'     other end

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 - 06:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks too dry. I would mist it some. I know people say not to mist the pins... If you have a choice between two evils (misting pins or allowing a casing to dry)... Mist. Get it moist, fan a couple of extra times... The pins won't hate you for it.

You can also inject clean water into a casing just below the surface in lots of little spots :)

When my casing are dry, I mist the sidewalls of the container to increase the humidity.

ShrooMaster (Shroomaster)
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 - 09:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive noticed on some strains the first flsh is all abrts then the 'second' flush pops up and is always killer.

nuecrew (Nue)
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 06:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input!

AdNauseam (Mystrysabsynth)
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 08:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wondering why some would be blueing whilst still on their casing?? I have stopped misting and they are in a 88% RH terr. Casing is shrinking, so could it be they need water? Can you inject H2o into the casing itself at different spots to re-hydrate so to speak?
Thanx

~K~

ShrooMaster (Shroomaster)
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 04:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i woudnt try to stick a needle in the casing. ive noticed that sometimes that portins of a shroom will turn blue [usually well before the cap opens and the blue starts below the cap but doest extend all the way to the bottm of the shroom] for no apparent reason. i dont think the shrooms would start turning blue because the cake was hungr, theyd just start shrivling.

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 06:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Needles in casings to rehyrdate works.

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 03:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the ones turning blue are dying of thirst,
pick them.
and yes, you can use a syringe to wet a fruiting casing, just spread it around, a cc here and there.

AdNauseam (Mystrysabsynth)
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 07:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As usual..THANK YOU GUYS!
What would I do w/out ya?

~K~

kobayashi (Impalerzz)
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 06:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying the temp drop during fruiting stage..

My only q is how can I keep humidity up and temp low..?

Ive always fruited at around 85, and I'd like try for around 73..and dont seem to be generating the humidity..should I worry?

Fruits are starting to show up..By the way these are casings, done like 9er and hongus.

Anno Nymer (Anno)
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 02:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>and dont seem to be generating the humidity
What makes you think that?

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 02:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

supplement by hand misting, or add a cool mist.

kobayashi (Impalerzz)
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 04:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, maybe it is generating some. I have noticed the mist on the top of the tub has gone away...

Hippie, Im a little worried about hand misting, because of all of the water damage reports Ive read...Would I just spray lightly over the surface?

You know....normally I would have never worried about such things...and then my buddy told me about Mycotopia....
-d

Brettiejams (Brettiejams)
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 07:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have myc poking through the casing layer, which I assume you do, since you are trying to initiate pinning, be wary of ever directly spraying your casing layer.

By the time you intitiate pinning, your substrate should already have enough water to sustain the flush.

The hand misting is really just meant to boost of supplent your main humidity source, if you are working with perlite. This is accomplished by misting the walls of the terrarium after fanning.

A little overspray on the casing layer shouldn't hurt things though.... but be wary of spraying them directly

Hope that helps.

kobayashi (Impalerzz)
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 07:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely does..thank you..
-d

Brettiejams (Brettiejams)
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 07:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are quite welcome...