Lots of Invitro Discussion Here Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Invitro [MycroTeks] Growing invitro? Lots of Invitro Discussion Here Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Black headMr. Tambourine Manhippie35 2 12-09-01  11:25 pm
Flipping Invitro JarsStewiehippie35 1 12-12-01  01:54 pm
Invitro ==|)'sphil storchhippie319 1 02-07-02  08:40 pm
White fuzzies on shroomsMr. Tambourine Manhippie312 1 12-13-01  12:46 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

The Silly Scybe Scribe (Toadstool_God)
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 - 09:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lo all! Once again happy hollidays. Anyway Ive got a couple of questions. First...once my cakes are completly colonized and have formed pins I am going to pre flush dunk them as they are PFC and Ive heard they benifit from the dunk. Im using the Hippy Neglect tek and I was curious. Would it be a good a idea to put a small layer of vermiculite on the bottom of the jar before I put em in as well as on top? Would this be kinda like invitro double casing? Next question..are the cakes more prone to "puddling" i.e water pooling at the bottom of the jar after a dunking? If so is it neccasary to empty this out? Thanks all.

Brettiejams (Brettiejams)
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 07:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you pat your cake dry after the dunk, I see no reason to fear any kind of "pooling" taking place.

Invitro fruiting's biggest obstacle, in my thinking, is the lack of good air exchange.

That is why the cakes are more prone to contams when fruiting in-vitro.

I wouldn't add any verm post colonization to an in-vitro cake.... the stale air coupled with the uncolonized verm is just asking for trouble, if you ask me.

And there is very little moisture loss in an in-vitro cake.... other than what is lost to the shroom during development... so a verm casing is not as imperative as a cake fruited in the traditional terrarium.

I haven't done a ton of in-vitro work.... so these are educated guesses, really.

I'm sure Hippie will straighted me out if any of the info I have offered is contrary to his own experience.

I feel pretty good that my theories are sound, though.

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 - 07:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it's arguable whether cakes are more susceptable to contams while invitro. true, there's not much air exchange ordinarily, but there's nothing stopping a grower from opening his jars daily to exchange air, dry the glass, etc. and being in a jar actually protects it from many contams which are airborne, or on the grower.
you definitly want to remove pooling water, etc.
i'd pass on the verm. in the bottom, it really isn't needed and adds unnecessary risk.

The Silly Scybe Scribe (Toadstool_God)
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 07:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippy or anyone. Could I use the cooked brown rice substrate tek and still do invitro fruiting? If so how much water to rice? Still quarter cup?

Eatyualive (Eatyualive)
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 09:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes because i have about 12 jars growing invitro as we speak. it seems the brown rice cakes want to pin much faster than normal.

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 - 03:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never tried it, so i dunno....

Arthur Oliveri (Zappa_Crappa)
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am doing invitro
it has been 5 1/2 weeks. 8 jars. they all have tiny fruits but they just stopped growing a week or so ago. One mushroom got big but looks like top is tearing. is when the tip turns black a sign to birth? I am disappointed. There aer about 10 tiny little runts on each of the cakes. They are all starting to turn black at the little tip. Are they stopped growing? Is this the degenerate - or is it on my end - or should i just birth and get 1 good trip out of the bunch? disappointed.
thanks yanks.

Brettiejams (Brettiejams)
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you can take the cakes out of the jar anytime you want and then put them back in if that is what you mean by "birthing" them.

Black = rot. gotta pick those ones pronto.

The one that the top is tearing you can pick as well.

Are you growing the P.F. race, if so, the spores clould have been of the degenerated race, but your shrooms could all abhort if you don't have enough water in your substrate also.

Could be that they could use a good Dunk