How far can I extend my spawn? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food How far can I extend my spawn? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Kman (Kman)
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 04:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question about spawn. I was wondering if I could take colonized worm castings, say around 5lbs. and spawn into more uncolonised castings? what would be the limit on this? I am using a nice healthy clone so genetics should be good. Any help?
Thanx

Maliki (Maliki)
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 05:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I belive your only cosideration is time here. Its not if it will colonize them but how long it will take . And that depends on how fine your spawn powder is as well as how much you mix the bag . As well as moisture content and tempreture variables .

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 01:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from what i've heard, you should only expand your spawn 4 times, so 5 pounds could spawn 20 pounds. any more than that and you run into problems.

Kman (Kman)
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 02:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats what I was thinking. I did the math and I needed to make up 40 pint jars of rye, what a HASSLE! Thats great that I can extend my spawn in this way. just curious but what kind of problems can happen if I stretch it too far? Do the genetics get spread too thin and lose their vigor?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 04:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup, they get lower in potency first, something you see alot of growers using bulk substrates like straw complaining about, then fail to fruit at all eventually if you try spawning too much with too little.
that's why you see stamets' talking about gallon jars of spawn in TMC.
if you have a few quarts to start with, it's not too hard to get massive amounts of spawn for really huge crops.