B + on newspaper Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Substrate: Shroom Food » B + on newspaper « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 9719
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fruiting
harvested}}

workman sez
I've done this several years ago. I don't know if this is how Baalsuku did it but here is what I did to prepare the paper. Get some newspaper, avoiding the colored or glossy sections. Tear into 1-2 inch strips into a large pot and cover the strips with water. Simmer and stir until the newspaper breaks down into a grey slurry. You can add more paper as it breaks down and makes more room. Let cool to the point you can handle it comfortable and drain. You could use a pillow case and hang it up for several hours to drain but I just grab handfuls of the slurry and squeezed out the water and then put it into a tray as moist lumps. Spawn and let colonize. You can increase yields (and contamination risk) by adding bran to the hot slurry.

The inks in most newspapers are now soybased, but you might want to contact the publisher to be sure you are not consuming heavy metals. The ink tends to stick to everything when you are cooking the newspaper, it will blacken the pot and your hands during handling. Very messy. I hope this helps. The crop looks very good.

baalsuku sez
Hi folks! heres the solution of my newspaper work!!
What is the opposite of water? Fire! How do you prepare newspaper to light pieces of wood? yes indeed you crumble it up ! tear the newspaper pages in half, quarter, and whole parts and crumble them up. put the "balls"in a clean bowl and pour hot water over it( wash your hands with soap or similar before)mix it well and let it soak (but not to wet) press the balls "after"soaking to release excess water . now mix it with B+ spawn preferably (kernels of some kind)
cover it(the bowl) with plastic bag. wait until it is colonized and adjust the humidity via misting
the clue is the structure you provide for the mycelium : air, humidity and cellulose are all available and the use of a relatively clean newspaper (not on the floor lying) sterilisation or pasteurisation are both not needed
the use of a casing is possible but risky due to more likely contamination with green mold (the newspaper does´nt get sterilised)
I tried to make it as simple as possible and it wasn´t supposed to be a high yielding thing
for the myshroom mycelium(indirect the enzymes) breaking down (cheap)toiletpaper or newspaper is easier available energy source than to break stronger structures this was a key idea
the kernels act primary as mycelium carrier to allow even and multitude point colonisation
it depens on the paper
it´s not new to use newspaper or other cellulose for growing mushrooms
but beware of toxic inks (not often because soya based prints are mostly in use)
but be sure about that
i used approximately 90 grams spawn

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 9720
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Erebus (Debremus)
Username: Debremus

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 12:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lord how we miss him... at least whats remember. It soo important to make best friends in life. But its hard when my friend sits with blank expressions. no one knows whats done is done. its as if he were dead.

Natas (Nilla)
Username: Nilla

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 01:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats recycling!:-)
Erubus,what had happen to your friend?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: