Closet Space Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. DIY Projects: Many Designs Closet Space Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Fake McCoy (Fakemccoy)
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 02:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my friends cakes are nearing 100% colonization! whoop!

anyways, we're wondering how necessary a terrarium / aquarium is as the growing environment. we have a closet we bleached, disinfected, bleached, disinfected, rinsed and repeated. its old enough so that it will never be a pretty looking closet, but we suspect its fairly sterile.

can we just grow in the closet itself? should we line the floors with anything?

thanks
fake mccoy

PS: i thought i posted this once, but i cant seem to find the thread. please pardon all wetware problems.

Kman (Kman)
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 02:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't suggest growing them in the open air. I would line a rubber tub with perlite and put the cakes inside that. just fan it a couple times a day and your set.

Maliki (Maliki)
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 02:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrap the walls with plastic and put weather striping on the door jamb wrap the inside of the door as well . Also wrap the celling and floor . Use a large bin perlite with a heating pad underneath it for your humidity. Use a bin abought the size of a cat liter pan . Use refridgerator racks or something else that is covered . Fruit like so :)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 03:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you might consider the chronic tek...
here-
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/7618.html?1012857760
otherwise, you'll need to humidify that closet for cakes if you don't use a terrarium.

Fake McCoy (Fakemccoy)
Posted on Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 09:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm thinking we'll probably staple down waterproof plastic everywhere. any suggestions for how to "sterilize" the plastic before usage? nice bath with bleech water sound fun?

the door is fully blocked off.

definately humidifying the thing. mainly worried about over humidifying. got a cool mist (hopefully, if not we're stuck with ultrasonic) which is sweet stuff. got a timer. planning on building a nozzel extention to make some of the humidity flow back.

i realize perlite is much more failsafe, but having to replace it and what not sounds like a pain in the ass. how long can you leave it for? were trying to make this thing as "dont touch" as humanely possible.

are there any characteristic prewarning signs of over or under humidifying?

lastly, theres some greener substances growing above my main friends. are there any special considerations we need to take into account? we're air and light sealing the two chambers from each other.

as it is though, the pertinent chamber is going to recieve zero airflow on a continuous basis. i'm assuming that inducing a small airflow with the above green chamber (which is heavily vented) is just asking for contams. the <b>only</b> solution is opening the door every now and then and fanning the area, right?

fake

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 01:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if any water/humidity gets in between your plastic and the walls, you'll soon have mold growing.
which will spred everywhere in an open area like that.
you'd be better off using some sealed terrariums, jars, anything, than one big open area.
perlite can be used for months on end, just add a few glugs of peroxide every now and then.

Kman (Kman)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 05:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya dude just keep it simple. It works!

Spun Yun Gi (Spunion_Elf)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually air exchange between the two areas is a good idea. Filter it to eliminate cross-contamination, but the shrooms will provide the herb with much-needed CO2 and the herb will provide the shrooms with much needed O2. You'll have a little psychedelic biosphere.

But Hippie is right about the water getting between the platic and walls. You're better off getting a couple clear plastic tubs, and stacking them.

Hippie, on a related note, I'm helping a friend get his setup started. It's going to be in a basement closet, and he's using clear Rubbermaid tubs for terrariums. There's a small area of mildew on the floor. Should I line the closet with plastic as I oringinally planned, or should I just throw the tubs into the closet and see what happens?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 01:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

white wash the entire closet, floor too.
you may need a dehumidifier in a basement to stop mildew from returning.
plastic lined walls won't help much in that respect, go with the rubbermaids and mop that floor, etc. with bleach water regularly to kill any mildew, etc.

plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a foaf has recently been working on a similiar set-up.... first, he ripped the carpet up and layed down linoleum.... then he painted the whole inside of the room with about three coats of polyurethane.... then used some 3m spray glue and put up the plastic and wrapped the entire room... the next step is building the shelves and humidifying it.... how big of a space is your closet?... if it is too big a cool mist may not do the job.... well... as far as the ventilation is going... my foaf is considering those vaccuum bags that filter down to one micron for filtering the air-flow between greenery and bluery... possibly some cpu fans or something of the sort to push the air... dunno... haven't quite gotten there yet

Superfried Potgrower (Superfriedpotgr)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 05:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see a problem with the symbiotic set-up you're talking about. The humidity for the shrooms is far too great for the greenery. They like a moderate humidity of 50% or so.(My favorite indica likes it even drier than that.) Unless those filters you're talking about will control the humidity too. I don't know if shroom-type humidity will kill the plants or not but certainly it would prevent anything near optimum growth. There will also be mold in the soil for sure(if you're using soil) and possibly even the bud itself, in which case it will be a total loss. The CO2-O2 exchange sounds like a great idea but something will have to be done about the humidity.

Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 10:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dehumdifier in veggie room would probably take care of that i would think... its a good point tho... i don't wanna lose em to mold and the like

Fake McCoy (Fakemccoy)
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 11:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any experienced people want to comment on whether i should have the shrooms be a part of the vegging room, or part of the flowering room? vegging would be nice, simply cause it takes less space. but that can be worked around, if theres good reasons to do otherwise.

anyone know whats denser? co2 or o2?

i'm thinking maybe rubbermaid containers with perlite now. will be taking the plastic the *uck down, removing humidifier. we've some aquariums, but they're all a bit unwieldy.

too much airflow is asking for contam's right? wanna keep it reasonable. more on the level of air exchange than air flow.

excellent advice all, cant thank you enough.
fake mccoy

Fake McCoy (Fakemccoy)
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 11:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seal the growing container? makes life harder, but the only way to stop contams, right?

fake

John Galt (Keebler)
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 11:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

once your cakes are fully colonized, contams are not a real big problem provided you wash your hands, clean your perlite once in a while, and throw away old cakes after they start to contam. i personally have been throwing all my cakes away after the 3rd flush, as that is the bulk of the shrooms its gonna give i think.

also, i hear that contams like stale air, so you want to have good air circulation.

-keebler

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 03:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

carbon dioxide is denser.... but yeah... i would worry more about the plants getting moldy or whatever than the boomers

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 01:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd put them on the veg side, where high humidity isn't as big a problem as it would be for budding plants.

WZN߀ (Wåzën)
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 02:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am new to growing and just put my syringe order in the mail(pf).. i have read everything i can about mushroom cultivation over the last few months and i figgured that the only possible place to build a set up very discretely is in my closet. i plan on usuing what clothes i have in there hanging on the rack to hide the setup as best i can. also, i live in one of the wettest spots in the world. the humididty is like 100% year round (wahiawa, Hi). i was wondering if the clothes would greatly affect the chance of contamination, being it neccissary to conceal to apperatus...i have asmall closet and a lot of clothes in there.. the clothes would certainly be touching the grwoing chamber. And because of the high humidity, i find that some of my jackets have mold growing on them after being unused for a few months..there is even mold on all my walls. how much of a threat do these conditions pose, esspecially to a first timer? I need to keep the clothes in there but i fear they could lead to contamination.. any suggestions or tips would be very very useful.

aloha,
wazen

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 03:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think you already know that mold growing in the same area with shrooms is a very bad idea.
you are going to have to get rid of any mold, and then put a dehumidifier in the closet to keep it dry and clean. then you can put your tighly sealed humidified terrariums in there safely.

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 10:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a candidate for the Hippie or Chronic invitro tek imo
Good luck :)

Superfried Potgrower (Superfriedpotgr)
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 07:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fake McCoy-- if you're gonna use sealed containers that will make things easier since you will be containing the humidity. I'd agree with Hippie about locating it in the veg room since you'll be able to service it whenever you want.(Dark period in the flowering room and all.)