Malabars On "New" Alien Substrate... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Malabars On "New" Alien Substrate Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Alien (Alien)
Username: Alien

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 04:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally got a cam, this is my latest project. Sorry I could not follow the whole process, but just getting a cam and squeezing the pics in late.

This is the first flush, but its been picked from 3 times. The pics below are the ones in drying, and the ones remaining.

I hope you guys enjoy, I have a ton of stuff coming later including a new pictorial of my tek that hippie hosts in the archives.

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discusteks/alienstek.html

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by admin on December 27, 2003)

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 04:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of these pics were done today dec 26, 2003

As you see, I am overwhelmed with shrooms.

Upload
Upload

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 04:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used "Alien Substrate" (newest version) for substrate.

For casing, I use 1/1/1 which is 3 cups coir/ 3cups verm/ and 3 cups peat. I add 1/4 cup oyster shell and 1/4 tsp hydrated lime. Yep, low on lime because its hydrated. I bake the casing after wet at 200 for 1 hour in oven covered with foil.

Also, a thing that I started doing is using distilled water only, I can go into this if desired.

For lighting I go 12 hrs with "Vitalite" which is 5500 kelvin.

I can go into detail if anyone wishes, I been doing this a long time. Any questions appreciated.

(Message edited by Alien on December 27, 2003)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 9897
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 04:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

new front door-
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discussite/news.php

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 04:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I keep remembering info.

Spores: Ralphsters malabars (syringe)

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 05:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Message edited by Alien on December 27, 2003)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 9905
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 02:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice photo layout.
welcome back, too.

Roc (Rochester)
Username: Rochester

Post Number: 710
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 04:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankz for sharing Alien!

Roc

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 07:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharkie Jones (Rainbowfungus)
Username: Rainbowfungus

Post Number: 495
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 09:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the substrate? You don't have to go into great detail, just at a glance. Nice by the way.
An eye for an eye will create a world full of blind men.

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 09:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a paste of the old formula, it has since changed and I will add it here.

Alien Substrate Formula

2/3 cup of quinoa (health food store)
2/3 cup long grain brown rice (grocery store)
2 1/4 cups spring water
1 1/4 cups vermiculite (Wal-Mart)
1/8 cup flax seed (measured before grinding)
1/8 cup rye berries (measured before grinding)

Cook the quinoa and rice (use the whole grains, not ground) by bringing it to a boil with 2 1/4 cups of spring water, then turn the heat down to a simmer, cover the pot with lid and set a timer for 20 mins.

Important!! -- Be sure to cover the pot with the lid, otherwise water will be lost from evaporation.

While this is cooking, measure out your flax and finch seed and rye berries, then grind them up in a coffee grinder or similar.

Mix the ground flax, rye, and finch seed with the other dry ingredients, stir the cooking grains occasionally so as not to burn them.
When the grains are all done, turn off the heat and allow them to cool for a minute or so.
Now dump them and the water that is still in the pot (do not strain) all in with the dry mix previously prepared.

Mix this carefully with a fork (no hands) so it remains light and fluffy. Small amounts of water can be added at this point to improve fruiting, just don't overdo it. I know that anything over 1/4 cup would be overkill, I sometimes add around an 1/8 cup to mine, but sometimes I don't. Its best to wait 5-10 minutes before adding any water, this makes it mix better.
Cover and let it cool for about 15 minutes before spooning into jars. I use the vermiculite topping like PF and this has helped alot to eliminate contams.

Don't pack the substrate when loading, try to keep it fluffy and pressure cook at 15 p.s.i. for 30 minutes.

If you use the PF style jars with the holes in the lids, then cap the jars with aluminum foil. This substrate is very airy and makes any good cubensis grow very rizmorphic.

I also have some pics coming in a few mins of the final raping of this first flush, taken me all morn to harvest (arggg)

(Message edited by alien on December 27, 2003)
"We have become a culture, a cyber shroom culture, and we are history in the making" -Alien

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 09:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, nice avatar Sharkie
"We have become a culture, a cyber shroom culture, and we are history in the making" -Alien

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 10:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
"As you see, I am overwhelmed with shrooms."

I hate it when that happens.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 10:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, here is the final raping of the "First Flush"

I am tired of picking

Upload
Upload
Upload

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 10:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man Hip, your image upload works way nice here, I love the format

petri dish (Petri)
Intermediate Member
Username: Petri

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 11:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pic's! I look forward to the new recipe. Why is it that so little hydrated lime works so well? What do you do in prep for the next flush?

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Why is it that so little hydrated lime works so well?

Hydrated lime (well I use Hi-Yield brand) can be pretty strong. I don't like regular lime becuase you have to use so much. I have a pH meter I got at home depot and it works well. I found that a tsp of this put the mix about 6.7 which is a good buffer range for variable sways as the casing matures.

>What do you do in prep for the next flush?

That question may stirr some ppl since I do it a bit different than most. I am an old school fan of TMC, and in that book he describes "deep scratching".

I found (for myself) that after a flush, the casing is all messed, sides are all pulled in, some of the casing is gone. What I do is add a bit more (fresh) casing, then I use a hobby knife and work it all up down to the cake below.

Some ppl say this ruins the established casing structure. In my tests I found it recovers well like a jar of shaken rye berries.

The trick is to mist, then do this, mist some more, rough it some more. Mist until its pretty wet, then "lastly" work it so its very aerated. DO NOT mist last or this will seal the casing and choke the cake below.

Once you get this done, you have what looks like a new casing. Put back in terrarium and you will se it recover in like 3 days max. Shrooms will actually still come up in small amounts, but in about a week, watch out. The 2'nd flush is even better.

Sometimes with the first flush they can be smaller fruitbodies depending on how your practice is. They compete for nutrient base as they grow and overcrowd each other. The 2'nd flush for me is actually the best of all after I work the casing as described.

Now, as I said, it can be critiqued, but I like how I am able to get the moisture back into the cake and casing with the described method. I never mist again after that.

Also, I repeat this method until about the 4'th flush when things slow down and the substrate is bleeding dry of nutes.

(Message edited by alien on December 28, 2003)

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rodger rabbit

>I hate it when that happens

ya, sometimes its tiring

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 01:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure how to do the chat here, but if any irc'ers wanna chat, I can be found at /server shroomery.org port 6667 channel #cultivation

petri dish (Petri)
Intermediate Member
Username: Petri

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 03:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"old school fan of TMC" Me too. Never did a real deep scratch. I've got some ready now and I think I'll have to go try it. Good to hear from someone who has had good results from this.

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 04:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Technically the TMC describes "deep scratching" as a cure for overlay. I just happened tp try it one time after a flush, just a test, and the results were rewarding to pursue more research.

(Message edited by alien on December 28, 2003)

Sharkie Jones (Rainbowfungus)
Username: Rainbowfungus

Post Number: 496
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 12:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful!!!! Thanks alien.
An eye for an eye will create a world full of blind men.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 9944
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 05:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Roo (Roo)
Username: Roo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 08:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great job Alien!!!

"Alien Substrate Formula" I am realy impressed with this. The use of quinoa is very interesting. I understand it is very high in many amino acids.

Your casing material is very impressive also. What ratio do you use as far as casing to substrate?

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 10:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks

The grow archives Hip? Wow, thanks bro

>Your casing material is very impressive also. What ratio do you use as far as casing to substrate?

I am a firm believer in thin casing layers. I also believe in more cropping surface instead of deep substrates and casings. Its what works best for the individual, so this works best for me.

I average about a 2 inch substrate depth, tops, with the pans I use. I was using kitty litter pans, but I noticed I had room in the terrarium. By adding these pans I was able to spread the cropping surface and have better turnover.

I use a thin wet layer of verm on bottom and about 3/4 inch casing layer.

(Message edited by Alien on December 28, 2003)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 9972
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 11:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's good material and one of the few examples here of your tek in action so it belongs in the archives on its' own merits.

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing that has caught my attention is the appreciation here, and the pic uploads are not limited. Dunno how you do it, but this place rocks

Roo (Roo)
Username: Roo

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Alien. The verm on the bottom does work well.

What about the quinoa?? What gave you this idea? I have eaten it and it is very good stuff in the morning made like cream of wheat. I know it is a very unique food. Do you notice a major advantage to using it?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 9990
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you know how we do it alien ?
on the uploads, at least ?
we have room because we only save the best,
and we discard old posts that are routine.
we'd proly have a million posts by now if i had not done so.
but after nearly 3 years the core of the site,
the archives, is still small enough to have plenty of room to grow.

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work

Its very appreciated here.

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*And without a thought of the consequence
I gave in to my decadence* Pink Floyd

Alien (Alien)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 09:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some prints made today to send to friends

Upload
Upload

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: