Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Growing morels Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Username: Xochipilli2012

Post Number: 281
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 02:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

been thinking of trying.

found this great site with info http://www.mushroompeople.com/cat2000/morel.html

anyone try with success?

does'nt seem too hard.

at least after what I have learned here.
"I got ta get my props,cops,trying ta come and snatch my crops.These pigs wanna blow my house down,Head underground to the next town.they get mad when they come to raid my pad,And I'm out in the nine-deuce Cad"

Joe Schmoo (Yidakiman)
Username: Yidakiman

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 05:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their success could be dependent on their substrain. But you never know. Do a grow log!

Roo (Roo)
Username: Roo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 08:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This does look interesting! I think I will try using Paul Stamets techniques to generate at least 2 generations of spawn and then generate the sclerotia. I was very succesfull in doing this with Reishis. I turned a kit into several gallons of grain spawn and went from there. I have never had much luck taking spores from wild fungi so this method might work. It would be cool to grow morals indoors!

I do have an outdoor patch I grew from a kit a few years ago. The first year I saw 3 or 4 pop up and almost gave up. In the fall of that year I did a simulated a burn over the patch. There are alot of apple orchards in my area I easily aquired a truck load of prunings. I used a chipper on 1/2 of the prunings and the other half I burned to an ash in a 55 gal drum. I spread them evenly over that patch then worked them in with a lawn thatcher. This was the key and the results where amazing, I went from a few mushrooms to almost a bushel. I cannot wait until this spring! I wonder how often the patch has to be "burned over". Once a year or perhaps once every 2 years? Maybe longer?

If there are orchards where you live it might be a good idea to talk to the owners in the fall, and especialy in the spring as they lose alot of trees to storms. An old fridge might not be a bad idea also, as morals seem to only form primordia between 36 and 42 F and fruitbodies between 40 and 50 F. Spawning temps seem to range between 70 and 75. I think that this may be the most difficult part of an indoor grow. One would need to control temperature in a range of 36 to 75 F. Acording to Stamets, they also need between 200 and 800 lux to form primordia and fruit. An incand type bulb would not work becouse it would heat the fridge up too much, a small (less than 60w) "grow tube" would be idea Removing the door switch and installing an external on/off light switch would do the trick!

I am new here. I have lurked around 2 forums for the past few years just observing and learning. I actualy "learned" from a book by the Mckenna brothers many years ago, going on 20 years ago to be exact. Of course I do not grow psilocibes anymore, as a few square heads made it illegal. I do have a close friend who grows a few batches every few months or so. One must be very carefull.
Its 3:00 am and I could ramble on into the daylight, with grammer and spelling getting worse with each passing minute of course. I must thank the admins of this place also. This seems so free of the big egos and childish games I have seen other places. I cannot actualy believe those people grow psilocybes. I suspect they have never realy done a medicinal dose of 10g plus in silent darkness also. One realy gets to know who and what they realy are under such circumstances.

Now I am off topic and rambling all at the same time....

dan from above (Inter0)
Username: Inter0

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 10:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont need to grow morels, ive got a patch 50 feet from my front door that i pick pounds from every spring! lol well that would still be amazing to see them grown free of insects and bacteria indoors. good luck! -dan

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Username: Spacecowboy

Post Number: 521
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 02:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to the patented method, PDF file uploaded to the board:

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/34946.h tml
If it's not broken, then the government will try to fix it until it is.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 9959
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 06:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pdf moved to archives
here=
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/31800.h tml

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 07:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They used to be all over the place where I live also. I remember going out with my grandparents and picking them by the bucket load. Now that most of the forest land has been converted to housing developments they are far and few between. They where probably overhunted also.

I just have some great memories of hunting them every spring with my now deceased grandparents. My grandmother would fry part of them in a beer batter or make a beef roast with a morel mushroom gravy, and mashed potatos!

psycho naut (Xochipilli2012)
Username: Xochipilli2012

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 02:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could do some outdoor patches of morels.

but there really is no forest nearby.

damn maybe I should travel and visit my friends in oregon to collect wild morel prints.

growing them sounds really fun.
"I got ta get my props,cops,trying ta come and snatch my crops.These pigs wanna blow my house down,Head underground to the next town.they get mad when they come to raid my pad,And I'm out in the nine-deuce Cad"

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 04:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can buy morel spawn. It is not cheap. Fungi Perfecti sells black and true morel grain spawn for $69.00 a gallon. They also sell plug spawn for Reishi's.

Spindle (Spindle)
Username: Spindle

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a little bit of success growing morels. I ordered a petri dish of culture from somewhere I can't remember, and I followed the instructions from that mushroompeople link.

Most of it is pretty much PF Tek, substrate is a bit different, but the principle is the same. I successfully got a few jars to propogate to create scoleratia [sic], although a bunch failed. It turned out that my flow hood was really crappy, and I was getting high contam rates due to it.

Nevertheless, the few jars that did succeed were ready to be cased, which is where I ran into problems. The directions from the mushroompeople link directs you make a pie pan of substrate for spawn, and another pan of rye grain only. Well, my way-too-small pressure cooker had more than its share of problems PCing two pie pans in an oven bag. However, I still had success with four pans. I transferred the spawn generously and put it in the fridge for the few weeks it tells you to. Two pans rotted in the fridge. Two pans did survive and actually looked reasonably decent. I put them in my (inadequate) grow chamber, where they eventually got invaded by bugs. :-(

Well, not wanting to give up (I paid 50 bucks for that petri dish!), I made another go at it. I got a bunch of jars to propogate (this part is really simple, although you need to cover the jars with tin foil to avoid jar dry-out), and instead of doing the pie pans in the bag bit, I instead filled a quart sized mason jar halfway with rye seed, then I manufactured a barrier of tin foil, and made a spawn layer. I PCed as usual. I put some spawn into an entire box of jars, but it wasn't long before several of them went bad.

At this point, life pretty much took my mind off of this project, and my box of morel spawn was sent to the cool garage, where it sat for 3-6 months. Eventually, I was messing around back there and I saw that box. I pulled a couple out, and they had the nastiest, bug infested, blackest sludge in the jar, it wasn't pretty. However, I couldn't resist not looking at the other jars. Well, lo and behold, 5 jars had colonized properly, and the mycelium actually looked good. Well, not wanting to send it to its doom via the grow chamber, I instead pasteurized some hardwood mulch that I had used for spawn, mixed it up with some potting soil, and stuck the entire blob of morel mycelium in the pot, and them buried the five pots in my backyard.

Therefore, I have only had limited success, perhaps in the spring I can tell you all about the morels that I have in my backyard, but I'm not going to be too optimistic about it. Once I one day upgrade my equipment, I will definitely be trying again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: