Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Ganoderma Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Reishi?MyCuriousBen Stein4 1 10-02-03  06:02 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

E_boundless (E_boundless)
Username: E_boundless

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have experience growing Ganoderma lucidum indoors?

Pskovinsky (Pskov)
Username: Pskov

Post Number: 356
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never even heard of it, does it have any other names? Got any pics? i like pics...

have you searched around on the web?

Edit:
Should have searched before posting, that would be the full name of Reishi's, at least yahoo says so.

I think someone on here has at least tried, and i'm pretty sure you can get cultures of it from one or more of our sponsors.

(Message edited by pskov on December 31, 2003)
--Pskov(insky)
A multiclass lvl 1 shaman, lvl 2 fighter, and lvl 6 auto mechanic.
Stats unknown.

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you are right.
Ganoderma lucidum is also known as Reishi, Ling zhi, and Young ji (in Asia).
Most of the times, it is grown outdoors using log method, but I was wondering if someone had perfected growing them in a humidity chamber at home (indoors).
Attempted to grow this mushroom indoors and succeeded once or twice... but many more failures.
I'm a very new-newbie so still trying to figure out how to post pics.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roo (Roo)
Username: Roo

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have done this and plan on doing it again. It is almost like growing Pleurotus indoors although I do not think they "eat" anything and everything like Pleurotus do. I grew them in 3 lb myco bags. High CO levals during fruiting give the antler form and low levals give the kidney shaped caps. I did not play too much with this but I have heard that the antler form fetches a higher price and the other form will give you much higher yields.They fruit between 70 and 80 so growing them indoors should not be a problem. Ganoderma Tsugae sounds interesting also becouse it grows on conifers rather than hardwoods. I have never seen cultures for it though.

Pskovinsky (Pskov)

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posting pictures:
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/20278.h tml?1042635794

play with it in the trash forum till you get it figure out, it's not to hard.

If you do a search for "Reishi" and dig through the results you'll find some info, i don't know how much useful stuff there is, but a decent number of people have talked about growing them.
--Pskov(insky)
Stats unknown.

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roo,

how did u measure the CO2 level inside your chamber? Is there a simple method for doing this without using some expensive gadget? Also, what kind of light requirements are needed?

Thanks for the advice, Psykovinsky. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

This is from
http://www.sporeworks.com/ganoderma.html

They are a sponsor of this forum, I can can personaly say they are a great company to deal with.

Pskovinsky (Pskov)

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is (in my opinion) a truely ugly mushroom. I really like how it's dark in the middle and gets lighter towards the edge of the cap though, thats cool. They are supposed to be incredibly good for you, which is probably why they look nasty... good for you things look bad, and bad for you things look good...(or bad...or medium...)

Now that i look at the picture it seems to be a rather high altitude mushroom :P
--Pskov(insky)
Stats unknown.

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 03:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tea made from them tastes pretty good. They inhibit the formation of tumers and are very good for immune system.

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 03:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roo,

"how did u measure the CO2 level inside your chamber? Is there a simple method for doing this without using some expensive gadget? Also, what kind of light requirements are needed? "

No real need to measure the level of CO2. From what I understand you just keep then low in the fruting chamber and do less air exchanges if you want high levals of CO2. You keep them high in the chamber and do more air exchanges if you want less. CO2 is more dense than air and "sinks". As far as light goes I used Paul Stamets paramaters of 750-1500 lux 12 hours on/off. Thats about twice the lux as Psilocybes need. Most people actualy use this much with Psylocybes, even thogh they do not need it. If you realy want to grow mushrooms invest in Paul Stamets 2 main books:

The Mushroom Cultivator: A Practical Guide to Growing Mushrooms at Home

This is the one I used when I started growing! Alot of the teks are outdated but it is a good education in mycology.

The other one is:

Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

More updated, more "wood eaters" like Reishi.

They are expensive! But well worth it to me. If you like the fungus you will love these books.

(Message edited by Roo on December 31, 2003)

Rasilon (Rasilon)
Username: Rasilon

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 08:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both very good books, highly recommended. If you keep an eye out on eBay, you can get them for a decent price. Also, you can download a scanned version of TMC(35MB!) from the archives:

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/TMC-814 98.pdf

Rasilon

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 07:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the advice, people.

Once, I was growing this fungus in a filtered bag. After the mycelium fully colonized the substrate it started to turn brown. Also, a fair amount of brown liquid collected inside the bag (before it was opened). Does anyone know why this happens?

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard of other "wood eaters" do this when incubated at too high of a temp. Did you get it to fruit?

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 10:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roo,

I don't think my cultures ever went above 80. Unfortunately, that particular one did not fruit. Also, there was much contamination. I think, next time, I'll try that dunking technique with diluted bleach solution. What do you think? Have you ever tried this before with Ganoderma?

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, not with reishi. When I did reishi I could see that it is something that is almost a neglect tek. Dunking is part of the tek for Shiitake though. I did those once with the "sawdust" brick like I did the reishi.

I see one of the sponsors (triplehelixspores) here sells plug spawn. It look like they have large selection. I have never played with plug spawn before, but it does not look like it is that hard to do. Have you ever messed with plug spawn? Reishi looks interesting as you inoculate the logs, bury them and wait. You can also inoculate stumps with some species, do not know about reishi.

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 05:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I try to grow Reishi, I inoculate rye grain and then use it to infect a bag full of sterilized sawdust. This seems to work really well except the contamination rate is quite high. I wonder if it is possible to dunk in dilute bleach soln when this happens and save the culture so that it can fruit down the road.

Expert Contam Grower (Exprtcntamgrowr)
Username: Exprtcntamgrowr

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 06:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I toured Paul Stamets grow rooms he was almost drowning his reshi blocks. He keeps the rooms very humid and washes them down every day (well his employees do) getting the blocks drenched. They grown on a sawdust/wood chip mix in spawn bags, when they are starting to pin you cut the top of the bag off leaving about 1-2 inches above the block. Read GGMM by Stamest for more info. Here is a picture of reshi in a grow room.
Upload
I grow everything very well, Green mold exceptionaly well.

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to go there and meet Paul Stamets. I will have to try dunking next time like Shiitake. I would worry about them turning green though... It always happens to me when I try something like that. Have you done reishis? I have done them once. They fruited but yielded poorly, not like the ones in the pic.

(Message edited by Roo on January 04, 2004)

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about the big pic, I should have resized it. I haven't grown reshi yet, I do have a culture master from the class though and I am planning to. It'll be mid summer before my grow room is built though. In Stamets's grow room the bags actually had standing water in them (you don't see that in the book) and he said he never has trouble with green mold. BTW Paul is a great guy, but you can't ask him about magics, not on school time. He will tell you he's done them though.

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pic its good that its big i will save this one

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Username: Mycophil

Post Number: 697
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 11:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dunking seems to be standard practice for ganoderma sawdustblocks , some blocks just won't produce any mushrooms at all,it seems ,just stalling...

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if one of these would help with fruiting indoors?

http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expert Contam Grower,

did Stamets give any reasons why he didn't get green mold (or any other) contamination?

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet it has something to do with the wire shelves the sawdust bricks are on, at least in the book I do not see them in this pic. More air flow?

(Message edited by Roo on January 05, 2004)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems incredible that Stamets wouldn't be having contamination problems with a growth room that big and with so much foot traffic...

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to spend a week with him and learn his secrets!!

Rasilon (Rasilon)
Username: Rasilon

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He says the secret to avoiding trich is constantly fluctuating humidity levels between 70% and 90%. It's at the end of page 273 in the third edition of GGMM.

Rasilon

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes he uses it with Shiitake. I wonder if it would work with Reishi also? After re reading the Reishi chapter I think that the method used in Asia would work better for the average grower. No need to realy maintain the "condensing fog enviorment". I think I will try this next time. Yields might be lower but it would be less work..

Roo (Roo)

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More cool picts of Reishi...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Notice the look on the Dali Lama's face!!! There must be something more to these fungi.

I will upload some picts next time I grow them. I am REALY interested in their medical properties, but they are beautifull!

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_boundless
One of the things that helps Stamets is the fact that it rains there alot. He lives and works in a rain forest environment and he says that the rain washes the air constantly. He even inoculates his oyster grow kits out doors without problems. He got the idea to make his grow room like a rain forest environment by washing it down every day completely thus supplying humidity (and the fluctuation of humidity Rasilon talks about) and the rain to wash the air. His pest control system is frogs that live in his grow rooms and eat the flies and bugs that venture in. BTW his grow rooms don't get much traffic, they are restricted. I was there for his class that he holds a few times a year.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: