Tyvek Filter Disks ? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Lids Tyvek Filter Disks ? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Polyfil - 1

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Maliki (Maliki)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 05:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homemade filter discs test

I´m conducting a test using filters made of Tyvek TM foil.
Origanaly posted by Anno Jan/02

I prepared 4 birdseed jars, 2 are covered with the polyfill lid like outlined in the Polyfill for Dummies tek, and 2 are covered with squares of Tyvek TM hold down by the rim of the lid.
I´m going to inoculate them with Ecuador rye grain spawn tomorow, incubate at 29°C and report on the progress in the following days.

Tyvek(r) is formed by a fully integrated process using continuous and very fine fibers of 100 percent high-density polyethylene that are randomly distributed and nondirectional. These fibers are first flash spun, then laid as a web on a moving bed before being bonded together by heat and pressure - without the use of binders, sizers or fillers. By varying both the lay-down speed and the bonding conditions, DuPont technicians can engineer the flashspun sheet to meet market needs, such as soft- and hard-structure Tyvek(r).

I sterilized the jars with the filters on without problems. The filters withstand the 120°C of pressure cooking without visible structure change.(according to data HDPE has a melting point of 130°C).

There was a difference between the polyfill lid and the Tyvek filter jars as the Tyvek jars vere easyer to shake, leading to the conclusion that more water evaporated through the Tyvek filters than through the polyfill lids, which is reasonable if you take the active area into account, that being much greater with the Tyvek filters.

The jars were inoculated with each 1 heaped teaspoon of rye grain spawn, shaken and put into an incubator at 29°C.
I sterilized the jars with the filters on without problems. The filters withstand the 120°C of pressure cooking without visible structure change.(according to data HDPE has a melting point of 130°C).

There was a difference between the polyfill lid and the Tyvek filter jars as the Tyvek jars vere easyer to shake, leading to the conclusion that more water evaporated through the Tyvek filters than through the polyfill lids, which is reasonable if you take the active area into account, that being much greater with the Tyvek filters.

The jars were inoculated with each 1 heaped teaspoon of rye grain spawn, shaken and put into an incubator at 29°C.
After 2 days fresh growth is noticable both in polyfill filter jars and in Tyvek filter jars. I couldn´t tell if the growth is faster in any of them.
The jars will be shaken today to distribute the newly colonized kernels and put back into the incubator. 1stAfter 3.5 days into colonisation the jars look like this2nd. 6 days after inoculation the jars are colonized.
3rd

Hellfury (Hellfury)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 07:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use a similar type of tek on a few of my jars. It seems to work well if the top vermie is the fine grade. No probs so far.....

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 02:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting.
i've been considering trying it myself.
thx for the info & pics.

Hellfury (Hellfury)
Posted on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 06:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My jars with the tyvek have not had probs with excess condensation as my other jars have, it seems to allow better breathing of gases. The tyvek is pretty tightly spun so the possibility of contams is pretty slim. I am on my first week after inoculation of three jars using the tyvek and no contams yet....

Here is the site where maliki got it from in case you want to see the discussion they had about it...
Tyvek Tek

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 01:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

be careful, there is a distinct risk in too much air exchange drying out your grains.

Hellfury (Hellfury)
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 09:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True enough! I am having a prob with an excessive amount of condensation in my jars though abd the jars with the tyvek seem to be better off because of it. I use fine grade vermie for the jars and it seems to hold alot of moisture in them.
its my first try using the tyvek so its not like its a solid tek or anything but, like all innovations with a possibility for advancing an area of study, definatly worth persuing!

Perhaps if the hole in the lid was a certain diameter or something, who knows it may be a viable tek to use.
The tyvek P/C's very well with no signs of melting (I think the tyvek's melting point is somewhere around 300 degrees fareheit) so sterilizing is simple.