Archive through December 11, 2003 Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. How To Make a Humidified Greenhouse Setup Archive through December 11, 2003 Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 750
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The following is an easy way to make your own humidified greenhouse setup. Once all the materials are gathered, the entire process takes less than an hour.

Materials:
Greenhouse
1.5" PVC Piping
PVC T Connector
PVC 2 to 1.5' Reducing Coupling
Reli-On Ultrasonic Humidifier
Trash Bag
Timer
Duct Tape
Hacksaw

Start out by assembling the greenhouse. They go together quite simply like an erector set. Instructions will be included.

Now you need to lay a garbage bag down on the floor, especially if you have carpet.

Upload

Here are some pictures of the materials that you should have gathered.

Reli-On humidifier with adjustable humidity output.

Upload

The adjustable humidity output.

Upload

T Connector

Upload

2" to 1.5" Reducing coupling

Upload

If your are choosing to use the products listed, then the humidifier has a hole on the top that is approx. 2 inches across for humidity output.

Upload

This is the perfect fit for the reducing coupling.

Upload

Using duct tape, make a really good seal, attatching the coupling to the humidifier.

Upload

You will now need to cut the PVC using the hacksaw. In this situation, using 2 4-tier greenhouses, there will need to be a 43.25" peice and 2 30" pieces of PVC. These 30" pieces of PVC may need to be longer, depending on how far away you place the greenhouse from the humidifier. If you make it like I do in this thread, then 30" peices will work fine. Also, if you are only using 1 4 tier greenhouse, then the second 30" piece is not needed.

Attach the T connector to the longer peice of PVC.

Upload

Fill the humidifier with water at this point.

ONLY USE DISTILLED OR SPING BOTTLED WATER.

Doing this will greatly increase the life of your humidifier.

Place this peice of PVC into the humidifier with the T aiming towards each greenhouse.

Upload

Now we shall work with the 30" peices of PVC. Using a pen, mark off 4 inches from one end of the PVC, and 2 inches from the other. Inbetween these marks is where we will need to drill holes for the humidity to come through. Again here, if you do not use the same humidifier/greenhouse spacing that I use, your numbers may be different.

Upload

Now you should seal off the end you marked 2" down with duct tape.

Upload

Cut a small hole in the greenhouse plastic where the PVC will go through. Make the hole small enough that there will be a tight fit when you put the PVC in.

Upload

Now place the PVC into the hole, and connect it to the T connector.

Upload

Do the same with the other side. If you are only using 1 greenhouse, then you can just seal off the other side of the T connector with duct tape.

Upload

You should also place duct tape around the opening in the greenhouse to prevent any humidity loss.

Upload

Now you will need to setup the timer. I am using a digital model avaliable at Walmart for $15. You will probably need to setup the timer to run 3-5 minutes every 2-4 hours. Also, dont forget there is a humidity output on the humidifier that can help with getting the proper humidity adjustment.

Upload

This is by far not the only way to accomplish this goal, hopefully just some inspiration. Be creative.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 8699
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome.
archive material.
highflyer,
when are you going to break down
and join our staff here as a mod ?
hell i'm tempted to give you the admin job.
nice work.
thx

driftthis (Crash1533)
Username: Crash1533

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 08:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats highflyer, you know you got every single viewer's respect

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 762
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 08:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the offer Hip.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 763
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 09:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something I forgot to add in the post above is to have the humidity holes in the pvc facing upwards. This prevents water droplets from falling on the casings. Also give them a slight tilt towards the middle tube. This way if any water builds up in them, then it will drain back into the humidifier.

pshroom (Pshroom)
Username: Pshroom

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 09:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have more than respect from me. Your kinda
a god-like being to me. Teach me, Teach me. lol

Nice plans. Looks like I have a new goal to work on

(Message edited by pshroom on December 06, 2003)
.~*Your eyes go funny but you can't place why*~.

Joe Millionaire (Rotterdam_y2k)
Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 01:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work Highflyer. Information like this will allow us to overgrow the government.

"Ekam Sat Vipras Bahudda Vidante"
The One Truth is named by the wise in many ways.

Boomer (Boomerstank)
Username: Boomerstank

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 04:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another compliment, but it is will deserved. Good detailed and well explained layout with pictures HF, an asset to this community no doubt. On EfNet the IRC network there are thousands of chat channels, one of which has a focus in this area, I am glad to say this is one of a few links I've shared, as well as a few of them who have already joined this community. Most of them are very new to the area, but very curious, and I know this place (This thread is a perfect example) is a perfect place for them to learn/grow/prosper. Thanks for helping make mycotopia what it is, these efforts are appreciated by many and all.
Peace
"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." Mark Twain

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job. I kinda cringe though when I see an air intake located near the floor. I'll bet if you put that humidifier on top of a five gallon bucket, you'd get much cleaner air. Thanks for sharing.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!" jimi hendrix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8814
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is true that over 90% of dust , mold spores, etc. are within 1 foot of the floor.
gravity ya know.

faht (Fahtphish)
Username: Fahtphish

Post Number: 582
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh, if it needs to stay on the floor, putting a couple dust masks over the intake on the humidifier will help at least sort out some of the bad stuff. :-)

fahtster
says: hello :-)

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 765
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 11:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda cringe though when I see an air intake located near the floor.

Ive used a method like the one posted for over a year with little to no problems. Rodger's idea of placing the humidifier on a bucket to elevate it would be a very good idea if contams are a major problem in your grow area.

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Username: Mycophil

Post Number: 604
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 01:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jee , just gotta love these illustrated howto's
mechanix illustrated for the 21st century

Cygnus X 1 (Rufusdelta)
Intermediate Member
Username: Rufusdelta

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 09:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice work, I'm really flabbergasted by all this data!

Highflyer, have you ever had any experience without the top PVC tubes all holed up and in a (semi) horizontal position, like without them, just a tube from the humidifier straight to the terrarium? Have you sensed any difference in the efficiency of the humidifier using the way you do now? Do you have any higrometer data from your setup?

Just trying to explore your mind a bit, thankz! Great great work!!

faht (Fahtphish)

Post Number: 586
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 09:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres a link to an example of using plastic tubing straight from the humdifier. to each shelf of the greenhouse. with this setup each shelf gets it's own misting and air exchange. dunno if i answered your q. but anywho.. :-)

fahtster

Eatyualive (Eatyualive)
Username: Eatyualive

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 10:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a foaf of mine does something very similar only using sewer hose, the stuff, and scotch tape

foaf has found that using duct tape often contams when not wanted and makes everything gooey and sticky after you peel it off. scotch tape works much better.

attached is a diagram of the setup.

the humidifier used is a vicks kaz v400 model.

the stuff(available at wallmart) is sprayed onto the hummer and allowed to dry. it is then carved with 2-4 holes depending on the amount of chambers attached. each hole is fitted with a sewer hose(available in the rv section at wallmart for campers) and with a black sharpie a circle is drawn from the sewere hose. then the stuff is carved to shape using a knife.

the stuff versus glues, adhesives, duct tape.

the stuff works very well and completely seals a leak water tight. it also does not mold or contam and can easily and cheaply be replaced.

benefits: you don't get that goo from duct tape and if you don't like it, you do not have to untape it from the chamber, you can simply reshape and replace it.

my foaf hooks up four of those chambers to one hummer using the stuff. it is simple and really can help you shape that extra fitting into place. if you pvc is leaking spray some stuff in the cracks, it will definitely seal it.

now my other foaf built a very nice chamber a few years ago. he used liquid nails adhesive. which is some damn strong stuff. but with these hard adhesives sometimes they break. or come off. the stuff gets into those cracks and is fixable while adhesives are permenant.Upload

Eatyualive (Eatyualive)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 10:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is a closeup of the sewer hose/stuff attachment. the foaf also runs this setup for 10 mins every 2 hours. that way in a 24 period the air exchanges are at least 5 minutes per hour.

Upload

(Message edited by eatyualive on December 08, 2003)

Eatyualive (Eatyualive)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 11:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this exchange also keeps the casing from drying out. if the hummer were run for more than that the casings and cakes would probably dry out due to increased airflow over the casing.

also, to make things a bit more clear about the stuff, it actually makes a chamber itself above the hummer and disperses the humidity into each chamber. no leaks yet and the hummer doesn't leak either on the floor. now with other methods and smaller piping sizes foaf has found that hummers leak quite a bit!

(Message edited by eatyualive on December 08, 2003)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 8927
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 01:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

farmerlucky03 (Farmerlucky03)
Username: Farmerlucky03

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Highflyer,
What is the over all cost of the setup?

Farmerlucky
"McElroy were one of the same. We're Skyhighatrists."
Formula 51

who me? (Suckerfree)
Username: Suckerfree

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 04:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hf, i like this setup, i have a question though, since the pipe comes out only at the top, how well does the 2nd 3rd and/or 4th shelve do? is each shelve capable of 6 pans? and i've seen pictures before where a light tube was put at the top of each shelve.... or would i be better off with a clamp light just outside the greenhouse somewhere? (going to be in closet)
thank you!

Highflyer (Highflyer)

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greenhouse - $30
Humidifier - $35
Timer - $15
PVC - >$10

This setup keeps the 2nd and 3rd levels sufficiently humidified. I never use the bottom rack as it is on the ground. Each shelf is capable of 6 8"x8" pans. There is no need for a light on every shelf. One main light in the closet will do.

faht (Fahtphish)

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 09:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i use the bottom rack all the time. Haven't had a problem with contam at all. but the bottom of my greenhouses are sealed up with plastic. there are holes on each shelf on the opposite side of the mist inlet tubes. these are covered with cut up pieces of dust mask to let the greenhouse exhaust and breathe slightly but keeps out bugs. works fine. i don't even open the greenhouse for a week. :-)

fahtster

farmerlucky03 (Farmerlucky03)
Username: Farmerlucky03

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

90 dollars isnt bad
"McElroy were one of the same. We're Skyhighatrists."
Formula 51

ridder (Ridder)
Username: Ridder

Post Number: 675
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 01:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

120, thats 2 greenhouses :-)