Why not bigger jars? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Why not bigger jars? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Quark (Quark)
Username: Quark

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I looked in the archives to try and answer my question, but to little avail.

Why not use quart jars for colonizing? I know that they would take a lot longer to colonize than 1/2 pt. or pt. jars, but if you could make one crumbled casing for a 12x12 area with one jar, wouldn't that be worth it? I would think you could put them in the fridge after they're colonized and do them one or two at a time, seems pretty economical.

tyler durden (Tyler_durden)
Username: Tyler_durden

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume you are talking about making a big PF cake (brf, verm) or something like that. It is possible but I dont think I have encountered anyone who has successfully done so. The jar will just eventually contaminate or dry out and stall. That's why people just colonize grain and then case with it. You could most likely get away with a full pint jar but no larger than that.

"You are not your website"

Hidra303 (Hidra303)
Username: Hidra303

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my friend has used pint jar without problem...

just took a while to colonise..
music is the answer.....

banjojo (Banjojo)
Username: Banjojo

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you get a cake out from a quart jar?
there's a fungus among us!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 10310
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no one uses quarts for PF TEK because it would take too long to finish.
many use quarts for loose grains as we can shake the jar up to re-distribute colonized grains and by doing so speed up colonization of empty areas.
if you want large amounts of PF type substrate,
use filter-patch baggies or ziplocks.
that way you can knead the substrate to spred mycellia like shaking a qt jar.

(Message edited by admin on January 05, 2004)

Dooby Dooby Doo (Doobydoobydoo)
Username: Doobydoobydoo

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ziplocks? This sounds interesting... how would you work with it? Mix substrate, dump it in a ziplock bag, cook (how do you let them breath?), inject, grow and mix till done... ?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10332
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

see Eatyualives Lazy Mofo Bag Tek

(Message edited by admin on January 06, 2004)

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also only use quarts, and a good method is shown below. I'm liking this way more and more lately. Grow out the spawn in one quart jar, then shake it up and pour into five quart jars. Add compost to make it a 50/50 mix, then put the lid on and forget it. The oldest of the jars below is the one on the right. It is three weeks since the rye was spawned into compost. The others are from a week later. The key to fast pinsets (other than strain isolation http://archives.mycotopia.net/discuscgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=5&post=133501#POST133501 ) is to expose to light from the first day. At NO time would I allow mycelia to exist in darkness for more than 24 hours. Those jars hold four separate strains. The best thing about this method of growing is there's no misting, no fanning, no terrarium, and very little hassle factor.

Upload

Upload

(Message edited by skyypilot on January 06, 2004)
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10335
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another nice variation of ye olde invitro tek.
compost acts both as an internal casing like the verm in a pf cake but also as bulk substrate to boost yield.
heed rodger's advice for ALL invitro methods-
expose to light from day 1.

mycos eleusis (Exshroomer)
Username: Exshroomer

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That looks awesome, and it's a good idea, but how do you get the shrooms out? And what do you do with that substrate after a flush?
"Bake them Donuts with extra grease;
This batch is for the chief of Police!"

Unknown

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10337
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rodger,
i added your post above to your previous related thread = http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/28761.h tml?1073354662

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks hip. I wonder why when I tried to post a link above with the pics it didn't show up as a link? I used the 'link to this thread' and clicked 'save shortcut', like I always do. It just typed it in instead of being a link.

mycos,
You just reach in with a fork and dig the mushrooms out. There is no real need to be gentle. Afterward, simply fill the jar up with water to the top, and put in refrigerator overnight for a dunk. Dump it out, put the lid back on and wait two weeks for another (bigger) flush. This tek started out as my proving method for strains so I don't waste a lot of time growing casings or logs for nothing. On the first grain to grain transfer, I'd always leave a bit in the grain master jar. Then, I'd add a bit of compost and let it colonize and fruit while the first set of jars were colonizing from the grain to grain transfer. This way, I'd know if it was a fruiting strain before it was time for the second grain to grain transfer. However, from a speed and stealth standpoint, it's not a half bad way to grow, and yeilds are excellent.
"I feel rowdy and I don't know why. . .Excuse me while I kiss the sky". . .jimi hendrix

mycos eleusis (Exshroomer)
Username: Exshroomer

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, so no need to worry about getting all the Carpophoric tissue off the thing, cool!

I just might try it!
"Bake them Donuts with extra grease;
This batch is for the chief of Police!"

Unknown

jimjim (Jimjim)
Intermediate Member
Username: Jimjim

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

---NICE!!!--two questions:#1:Do the lids have holes for air exchange(w/polyfil,tyvek,or something else)?...and,#2:After the dunk/drain,could you add more compost to the jars to extend fruiting capacity, or would you be asking for trouble by doing so?...JuzWundrin............jimjim

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10341
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wonder why when I tried to post a link above with the pics it didn't show up as a link? I used the 'link to this thread' and clicked 'save shortcut', like I always do. It just typed it in instead of being a link.
if you tried to do the link in EDIT mode,
that's why.
links to come up 'hot' have to be either added in the initial post or typed in manually.

Quark (Quark)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome looking jars rodger. I think that a great way to go, I'm going to try your Straw Log Tek, but it would be great to fruit a couple of the jars. What exactly is the "compost" you're using?

Also, if I could ask you a Straw Log question, did you ever try making foot long logs so they could be moved easily and dunked without having some sort of massive container? Seems it would be just as easy to make 3 foot long logs instead of 1 3 foot long log. Seems like you'd have the same surface area...

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 04:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The compost is the standard mix I use for casings. Get a bag of compost at any garden center. Get a bag of composted cow manure at the same garden center. Mix the two together 50/50. It's a good idea to shake them both through a sieve or course screen to get rid of the bigger chunks of wood from the compost, and I've found manure to have a lot of sticks and small rocks in it. Shake it through a screen, and you can remove the worst of them. Those sticks seem to harbor trich, and also gives the trich its natural food. After mixing, add moistened coir, at the rate of about half the amount you used of the compost. Throw in any coffee grinds you have. I save mine in the refrigerator so I always have a few cups of grinds when I make compost. Now, mix it all up, and add lime at the rate of 10% by volume. After it's all mixed up, add moistened verm or perlite to make it a 50/50 mix of compost/verm. Continue at this point to add moisture to the mix until when you pick it up and squeeze, water will run out, but won't drip out unless you squeeze. That's a good moisture level. Pasteurize and use. A super easy way to pasteurize compost and then to have it on hand as needed is this: Load quart jars with the compost, and put filter disks in the lids. Place in the PC and turn on the heat. Don't put the weight on the output of the PC. You don't want pressure for this. When steam is rapidly escaping the hole in your PC, start your timer. Give the jars 30 minutes of steam, then shut off the stove. Leave the jars in the PC until they cool off. They're ready to use, and with the filter patches, I've used them over a month later with no problems.

--------------------------------------------------
Three 1' logs would actually have more surface area than one 3 foot log. However, they dry out too fast, and I never had good luck with them. A grower or two over at the shroomery posted some awesome pictures of very small logs though. I still think bigger is better and consider 3' to be the shortest that will work out well.

Quark (Quark)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for all the help.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10498
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 02:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material to jars

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 14196
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 02:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those invitro quarts of rodger's were preped by boiling the grain in 50% dilute coffee before PCing.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: