14 day pinning?!? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Lids 14 day pinning?!? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hellfury (Hellfury)
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 08:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to apologize in advance if this has been covered before, but I cannot find this in the archives. (vast and prolific it is!)
I know this is kind of weird but my cakes are pinning two weeks after inoculation.What is even stranger is that the cakes whos jars were capped with tyvek are the strongest pinners.

I turned the jars upside down, (lid side down) about 4 days ago to let the condensation drop to the vermie on the bottom.

Should I birth them? They seem to be fully colonized but am uncertain if I should wait a bit and then birth. I would go invitro (hippie tek) but want to see some nice growth ( softy that I am.. )

Any advice for this stage would be appreciated.

hive_bee (Hiveb)
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 09:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if your jars are already fully colonized on the outside and you want to birth, then do so, they will be fine. if you want to let the mushies grow a little invitro and then birth that is ok too.

bobby bones (Bones)
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 09:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please tell me how you were able to get your cakes to be able to pin in just 14 days??

Hellfury (Hellfury)
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 09:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be as sterile as possible without lab status. (polyurethane gloves, inoculating in a very clean stil air environment,P/C'ed the jars at 15 psi for 30 mins)
Followed PF tek as close as possible (I would like to say I followed the formula exactly but this is my second attempt after 2 years).
Kept the jars in the box they came in during incubation.
11 days after inoculation, I noticed the jars having lots of condesation from the respiring mycelium, so I P/C'ed some tyvek (got for free from post office mailers) and replaced the metal lid inserts with the tyvek and flipped over so the water would fall to the vermie.The jars that had the lids replaced with tyvek showed massive pin formations
4 days later I got pins...

Hope that helps...

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Friday, June 21, 2002 - 07:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swampdog (Swampdog)
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 03:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hellfury, i just gotta try the Tyvec insert, Many Thx. s.d.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: