"Una's" Cactus seedling grafting... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Botanicals Grafting "Secrets" "Una's" Cactus seedling grafting Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Joe Millionaire (Rotterdam_y2k)
Username: Rotterdam_y2k

Post Number: 617
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This information was originally posted at the Shroomery here by Una.
Photos were edited by Mr. Millionaire for size and aesthetics.

Grafting cactus seedlings to Pereskiopsis

Because of their large surface area (the leaves) this species grows very fast. Pereskiopsis is a true cactus and not a succulent. Grafting cactus seedlings on succulents or Euphorbia's that (may or may not) look a lot like Pereskiopsis will not work.

We need:

A stock plant (Pereskiopsis), well watered and healthy
Cactus seedling (Lophophora in this case)
Very sharp scalpel (new blade or a razor)
Alcohol 85%
Forceps (or similar to move the scion in place)

Upload

Here's the uprooted seedling, only two weeks old. It's so cute

Upload

Clean the scalpel blade with alcohol and cut the top of the Pereskiopsis stem 1 cm under the top with a straight cut.

Upload

Quickly cut the seedling in two. This will only work with a REALLY sharp blade. Here's the top and the bottom sticking to the blade.

Upload

With the forceps slide the seedling of the blade onto the cut surface. Gently push it down a little to remove all air bubbles. No fixture is necesary.

Upload

Immediately put the grafted plant in a high humdity environment. I find that grafts heal best in the light (no full sun of course)

Upload

After two days the grafts have healed and can be removed from the high humidity environment.

3 Months old graft of peyote

Upload

"Ekam Sat Vipras Bahudda Vidante"
The One Truth is named by the wise in many ways.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 10657
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great thread, joe.
Una's a very smart fellow.

archive material

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is where you can procure some Pereskiopsis
http://www.mesagarden.com/

More Pics

Upload

San Pedro grafted on Pereskiopsis after 1 1/2 month it's even pupping at the base

Upload

Sea of Cacti

Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10663
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 02:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's amazing,
learned something new today.

Ferry (Spacecake)
Username: Spacecake

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow !!! very COOL !
have you tried this yourself ?

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*bump*

I want to keep this thread open as my girlfriend orders pereskiopsis. I'll post pics for her as she germs her own peyote seed, etc...

Magalix (Kristoffungii)
Advanced Member
Username: Kristoffungii

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 05:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice caespitosa graft!
Amazing work!
Man, i just have to wait for the spring and summer to start graft projects.
"Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still"

Voodoo (Voodoo)
Username: Voodoo

Post Number: 216
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing to remember for attaining this kind of growth is that these plants are under 24 hour strong light. Thats a major reason for the increased speeds.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 11777
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah, that a good point to keep in mind, kinda common sense too but still worth mentioning.
thx

harry m stevens (Rockawayrooms)
Username: Rockawayrooms

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW that's just killer joe, i got a couple of q's i hope ya can answer !! about how many pete's can you graft on to one of those pereskiopsis? cause in some pictures it looks to be more than one or two?also, as it grows bigger will there be any type of probs with it falling off,because of the weight of it?i was gonna graft a few on to some pedro's until i saw this thread.think it's time to pay another visit to mesa.
standing on a hill in a mountain
of dreams,telling myself it"s not as hard,hard as it seems;)l.zeppelin

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 03:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been looking for a supplier of pereskiopsis that ships year round, thanks Joe and Uma as well. Killer pics and tek. Nicely done!!!!
*And without a thought of the consequence
I gave in to my decadence* Pink Floyd

Voodoo (Voodoo)

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 05:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harry, thats one of the problems (if you can call it that LOL) of grafting to these. You MUST degraft at a certain point. The petes get so big your stock will start to bend from the weight. This cactus is a bit over a month old. Suckers grow like weeds.

Upload

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 03:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn you ain't shittin voodoo,i have about twenty l.w. seedlings to germ and if i was to graft them all, about how many pereskiopsis should i aquire. could i then just grow some " peres" out and use the cuttings to graft?,can you do that i mean reroot "peres"?this is all pretty new to me this grafting business,so sorry for all the q's but man i gotta tell ya i'm excited.i was gonna graft this litte fellow i recently picked up on to a pedro but i thought i'd do some more reading, i'm sure glad i did
her faced is cracked from smiling
all the tears she's been hidin
and she wonders pretty soon
everybody's gonna mellow!l zeppelin

Voodoo (Voodoo)

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shitload.

Yes.

Yes.

Not a problem I like to help.

Voodoo (Voodoo)

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clarification-

I meant to say that even if you only start with one pereskiopsis youll have more than enough after a couple months. lol

Post Number: 696
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

24 hours of flouros or MH, lowered heat, and alot of watering. The lowered heat allows the plants to open their arioles (or the cacti equivalent) for daytime gas/moisture exchange which usually only occurs at night. They do best in NON-DESERT CONDITIONS.

When they get to be 5-6cm, replant them so they can build alkaloids.

I asked Una about the flouros and never got a response but am sure he mentioned them in a post as a suitable light source for growing cacti indoors, provided they are close to the plants.

Please correct me if any of this info doesn't jive. It all comes from Una's posts at the Shroomery.

Voodoo (Voodoo)

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your right on. Im not sure about floros. Iv never used them for anything other than indoor poppy grows. I do know that low powered MH lights are not near enough for healthy cactus growth. There are special floros for growing, if I recall, that will work nicely but they are not your "normal" floros.

Xochitl (Xochitl)
Username: Xochitl

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa - amazing work there!

Upload
Innerexotics.com
Purveyors of Fine Ethnobotanical Goods
Low Prices, Free Shipping!

Post Number: 701
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a 400 watt MH should do the trick for a 9 square foot area, you think vodoo?

Voodoo (Voodoo)

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 11:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Youll be fine. Just pay close attention to the cactus. If they are getting red you need to move the light further away.

Post Number: 416
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks voodoo. i am gonna order some peres asap <soon>.and what about this 400MH joe?.are these the same light that's used to grow some smoke?reasons being, i"ve been thinking about aquiring one of those hydro grow kits,only getting a more powerful light .i was wondering if you can kill two birds with one stone,i dont have alot of space, so this would be ideal!!man,ya learn sumthin new here everyday!!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12154
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they are getting red you need to move the light further away.
man,ya learn sumthin new here everyday!!
indeed.

what about this 400MH joe?.are these the same light that's used to grow some smoke?
yep.

Post Number: 418
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 02:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks hip,that cleared up alot i can't wait to get started!!!!
b/t/w are the hydro systems on e/bay any good,or would i be better served going st8 to a reputable vendor?thx )

(Message edited by rockawayrooms on January 31, 2004)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12159
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 04:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i spend big bux,
i like a reputable 'local' vendor with a solid
warranty/guaranty policy.

Post Number: 420
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 06:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think i found one,thx hip

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: