Equadors On Manure (again) - New Form... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Equadors On Manure (again) - New Formula Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 30, 2004Dooby Dooby DooHippie325 1 01-30-04  02:37 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Dooby Dooby Doo (Doobydoobydoo)
Username: Doobydoobydoo

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 08:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because the casing seems to be adding A LOT of humidity to the tubs. Didn't happen without the casing. So, we're trying to use a VERY light amount. It's a very light covering like a chunk or two of verm thick. Also, we wanted to see if it gets hit with green below the verm...

You think we should just completely cover it? I don't think we should have even used the casings because of this extra humidity factor, but we'll see... (remember the pics without casings...)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 12129
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 04:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let's see what happens then.

Post Number: 272
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, got a call about the tub having some green (possibly). That sucks. No more verm we're thinking. Since we used verm, green everywhere. :-( No verm, no green. I'll have to wait a day or two to see the tub for myself, Superbowl today. :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12341
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 03:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd suspect that your grow area is now infected with trich, since it keeps popping up now.
time to clean from scratch.

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definately a good idea.

The tub did indeed have green. :-( The pans however are beginning to pin. Pics in a day or two. The tub had a definate funky smell too it. Seemed like it was too wet even when we dumped it out in the garden, there was water in the bottom. I still like to blame the verm in this case for too much moisture retention. :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12395
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's why many mix verm with coir, to help lighten the water load a bit

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next trip to the pet store, gotta get some coir...

As promised, pics of the pans. Another 1 got attacked by green partially through pinning. Seems this may be the case with this batch... Anyway, here's some pics.

Upload
Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12617
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 01:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you know, in cases like this, when you're close to cropping and the green shows up,
salting the green can really help slow it down long enough to finish the flush.

Post Number: 302
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 12:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt that in this case. I was at my buds house yesterday, nothing, tonight, one pan was 1/2 covered in green! I couldn't believe it. It appeared from no where. The terrarium it was in has a funk to it (that's where 2 of 3 got serious green so far) so everythings getting a thorough cleaning. Most likely the pans since the perlite is all fresh, but can't hurt to clean it all really well. Only a few remaining survivors, and 1 pan with NO pins as of yet. So far, verm/poo really blows.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 12690
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 01:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

see, friend,
now you are beginning to see
why poo is not a good casing layer material.
too nutritious, really should be covered up with non-nute casing like peat/verm or coir/verm.

The AOC (Angryorangecat)
Advanced Member
Username: Angryorangecat

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 03:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought that same Franks Hydrated Lime, and when I read the back I saw:

"Magnesium (Mg)......20%"

That's bad, right? I never used it. Whaddya think, Hip?
My name is peace, this is my hour,
Can I get just a little bit of power?

makaveli (Magicsmoke)
Username: Magicsmoke

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as a matter of fact that franks lime has a mag. content of 26% thats no good im supprised u even got pins from it but i know that it effects your yeilds. ditch the franks man get something w/ no mag. in it

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 13079
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bad, yes.
you want low mag. content, single digits.

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 09:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any specific reasons why the Mg is bad? (links?) I have never used anything but this brand of hydrated lime...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 13149
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stamets reports that high levels of Magnesium inhibits mycelial growth
see http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/297.htm l?1004879651

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 12:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, thanks for the link Hip. (You amaze me with all these links you pull out of "thin air".) :-)

So, this could be causing the contam problems with our verm/lime mixing.. not allow mycelium to grow, and letting trich in even though the PH is raised a bit. Only seemed to get contams when we used the lime in the last batches. Though, like I said, I've used it for a long time. Well, seems the two boxes we have will be going on someones lawn/garden and we'll get some purer lime without Mg.

Here's a pic of the back of the Frank's brand box for all to see...

Upload

Mg levels at 20.40% carbonates and 32.00% oxides.

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 02:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compare that to Hoffman's brand Hydrated lime - 0.4% Magnesium.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Post Number: 324
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 03:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoffman's got a brand of lime? ha!

Invader Zim (Spekter)
Username: Spekter

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 03:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok here's my 0.02 on something i have been playing with.. i went to lowes and picked up 2 50lb bags of organic compost (said it had cow/chicken manure and pine needles) had some other stuff in it to. i went with it anyway just for the hell of it. after pasteurizing the compost and mixing in a couple crumbled cakes, within 2 weeks it was totally white...a few days after that pinning and so far i have gotten 5 really nice flushes out of the 8 trays i made (trays are 8x11 aluminum) well this time around i switched compost and picked up a bag of black kow compost...this shit is really like cow shit...once i added watter it felt and smelled like i was mushing up a bunch of cow patties...great stuff and high hopes...i've made 12 trays 4 days ago and there starting to get nice and fuzzy at all the chunk sites with lots of networking going on..will have to get some picks later.
"Its not stupid, its advanced" - Tallest

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 03:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

2 50lb bags of organic compost

Remember the brand name?
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Post Number: 325
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 04:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go compost! :-)

Magenta (Magenta)
Username: Magenta

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 10:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I scrolled down to the picture above. My screen wasn't scrolled to the right like it should.
So it said in big bold letters...

"GUARANTEED ANAL"

Gave me a chuckle

Magenta

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 02:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: