Any problems with this outdoors Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Outdoor Cubie Cultivation Any problems with this outdoors Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

matt stewart (Random)
Username: Random

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

imagine this a mushroom lover driven on the mission of mastering some of his favorite wood loving mush rooms outdoors or any mushroom I guess. O.K. he takes a five gallon bucket and drilles nice size holes all the way around the bucket . he puts it in a kiddie pool thats had tiny hoels in the bottom.now he dumps some spawn bags or whatever to fill the doughnut shaped hole. then cased if needed. now fill the five gallon bucket with perlite then cover the whole little fungi garden with a tarp. one last thing could he throw a bag of ice in the bucket to induce fall fruiters.please help Id love to put a couple of these in my organic garden this spring for gourmets.

(Message edited by random on January 23, 2004)

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 974
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont quite follow the concept you are giving above. I may just be too tired. :-(

Look here for some outdoor bed ideas.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 11523
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm sure there'd be problems, there always are.
big problem might be heat in summer,
since a tarp traps it so well.

banjojo (Banjojo)
Username: Banjojo

Post Number: 518
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 01:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perlite is too expensive to filling 5 gallon buckets with it. Maybe you should try something like lava rock or limestone gravel. And you may want to have more than one bucket per pool as the mushrooms may just want to grow around the bucket, or the bucket might just be overkill. You may want to put gravel on the bottom as well to provide drainage. And I'm gonna say that your biggest problem is going to be mainting the proper temperature outside, instead of a tarp you may want to use something breathable like straw that will insulate the whole thing and hold in moisture. That is what I use for my garden beds and they never freeze in the winter when I put like 5 or 6 inches of it over the bed. And in a shady place the straw will probably hold moisture for a good while.
there's a fungus among us!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 11643
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 01:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perlite is too expensive to filling 5 gallon buckets with it.
you must not be getting it at the right place,
i can get 4 cubic foot bags of it [enough to fill several 5 gallon buckets] for about $15.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: