Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Howdy to the land and the beings who inhabit our home!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

Greetings Inhabitants of Back to the Land forum

Wanted to post a quick note that i will be joining this forum as moderator.

There is lots of exciting times coming round and I wanted to introduce myself to those who may not know me and hello to all that do.

I would also really like to hear your opinions on this forum and how we can collectively make it better.

Permaculture / homesteading / urban gardening and farming / survival are all hot topics right now and we feel a solid forum could drive interest and traffic to the site.

What's your thoughts
What would you like to see
How can we make a difference in B2L like we do IRL?

I look forward to our conversations.....
Bear
  • Sidestreet, wildedibles, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,477 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

Ooh, what would I like to see?

• How to grow asparagus and ginger
  • How to build a raised bed
  • Planning and starting a veggie garden where there was only sod before
  • Food not lawns
  • Low-key psychoactives that can be grown right out in the open
  • Any and all basic gardening skills for someone who tends to commit unintentional plantslaughter

I'm glad you've taken the reins on this, Bear!  You'll do great.

• Myc, PsyBearknot, wildedibles and 3 others like this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,423 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

Why did I think this thread was going to be about elves, fairies, and gnomes?  I come in, not suspectin' nuthin', and run straight into a bear!

• PsyBearknot and wildedibles like this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how deep and broad spectrum a statement like that can be. I and the spirits of the land I currently share with them send a heartfelt welcome to the new mod!

Thinking out loud........Composting is a really good place to go.............IMHO Everything begins with good soil and water..............

A

#5 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

I would like to see and share info about testing your soil to see what you've got, it seems good to know what you are starting with.

I have lived a few places and have that many different experiences with growing.

Climate is almost predictable. What was dumped on your dirt in the past isn't. 

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

I would like to see and share info about testing your soil to see what you've got, it seems good to know what you are starting with.

I have lived a few places and have that many different experiences with growing.

Climate is almost predictable. What was dumped on your dirt in the past isn't. 

I'm telling you.....drinking water chemistry might also be a good place to go as well. My wife once told me that if I moved to a pristine environment with clean water and air I'd probably die. (we grew up around the steel mills back in the day)

Edited by Arathu, 12 January 2017 - 08:51 PM.

• PsyBearknot, wildedibles and happy4nic8r like this

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

All the topics mentioned are of interest to me. I don't want to sound paranoid but any survival info is of great interest to me , hope I never need them. I guess survival is a wide topic covered by growing your own food to  psychoactives and other homegrown medicines, though a lot are covered in other forums. Water purification.

• Teonanacatl38, PsyBearknot and wildedibles like this

#8 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

Thanks everyone. This is awesome.

The importance of water - yes!
Composting - Yes!
Survival - Yes!
DIY and build guys - Yes!

Good base in the current back to the land and some suggested topics for "mega" threads and possible new sections.

Soil testing
Climate / grow zones too
Grow guides and popular grown plants guide
Integration of our spiritual, and entheogenic hobbies
Herbal healing
All excellent suggestions.
  • wildedibles, Heirloom and happy4nic8r like this

#9 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,529 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:49 PM

This really works for me. I've got a place that used to be a copper mine in the civil war days. 

There was talk about finding your stones lying in the creek, and they are there in abundance, dug out by hand. They weren't interested in gems, only metals.

Trouble will be finding clean water right now, and good soil since a lot of this area is barren, but a lot of water flows through it.

Different colored water!!

I'll have lots of questions, and will share what I learn here that's applicable.

• PsyBearknot, wildedibles and Heirloom like this

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,423 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

The Permies.com is a great source for all kinds of this stuff on their forum. 

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

I'm in for sure............... :cool:

#12 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:17 AM

In my time off I aquired a couple acres and have been building a house with my boys, 11 & 13. This spring we will be starting a barn and garden along with some other projects, forge, mushroom beds, greenhouse etc. Hopefully I'll be able to log some of the work to share with you fine folks.
  • PsyBearknot, wildedibles and Heirloom like this

#13 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

In my time off I aquired a couple acres and have been building a house with my boys, 11 & 13. This spring we will be starting a barn and garden along with some other projects, forge, mushroom beds, greenhouse etc. Hopefully I'll be able to log some of the work to share with you fine folks.

Love this and congrats. What a foundation you are building with your boys!

Anything you are able to share will be awesome!
  • wildedibles likes this

#14 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

I'm in for sure............... :cool:

Glad to have you along for the ride...the energy being generated will keep us warm for the winter!
  • wildedibles likes this

#15 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

The Permies.com is a great source for all kinds of this stuff on their forum.

Been wasting time at work this morning. I love this site so far! I like the style of the website and the "humorous" nature of the serious subject matter!
  • wildedibles likes this

#16 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

Lets get back to the land.  We really have to.  You always knew you'd have to get back to the land.  Its like returning home back upstream.  It aint easy, but its so worth the journey.  You could really blow this land up Bear.  Its something most of us that hang out here, love to discuss, as you know.  It touches a nerve.  Its truly our natural home..the land, and the sacred knowledge about it.  I'd love to see it, learn what I can, I'll come along on that journey with you.  Cheers.

• PsyBearknot, Arathu, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#17 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

Awesom Rise!

It really touches home for me cause back to the land for me does not JUST mean acres upon acres of beautiful land but the acres upon acres of beautiful cities and blighted urban areas where we can BRING THE LAND BACK by improving the soil, educating the thirst of knowledge our urban core has at .1 an acre or less at a time.
  • riseabovethought, wildedibles, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#18 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

Awesom Rise!

It really touches home for me cause back to the land for me does not JUST mean acres upon acres of beautiful land but the acres upon acres of beautiful cities and blighted urban areas where we can BRING THE LAND BACK by improving the soil, educating the thirst of knowledge our urban core has at .1 an acre or less at a time.

I have an acre and an old house (like 110 years), and my roots driven deep into the soil, for better or worse. I'm not out in the "pristine wilderness" but as Bear said, back to the land is just that regardless. I'm absolutely making dirt, growing gardens, and trying to be an all around caretaker of this plot. The spirit of the land, assuming you see things that way, seems to be happier for it.

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#19 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:00 AM

Awesom Rise!

I bought .25 acre over 10years ago now and back then there was 3 trees now I have many :) and fruit bushes and gardens and a pond etc..... Lets bring the land back
  • Arathu, Skywatcher and Alder Logs like this

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:03 AM

Awesom Rise!

I have an acre and an old house (like 110 years), and my roots driven deep into the soil, for better or worse. I'm not out in the "pristine wilderness" but as Bear said, back to the land is just that regardless. I'm absolutely making dirt, growing gardens, and trying to be an all around caretaker of this plot. The spirit of the land, assuming you see things that way, seems to be happier for it.

A

congrats 110years or so eh :) My old house was built in 1919 (there was a penny placed into the window sill to date the house long ago)
  • Arathu and Juthro like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!