• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyGnome

GrumpyGnome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:43 AM

Thought this was pretty cool so I figured I would share, was using this half of an egg carton to expand a blue oyster culture mainly to get used to using the egg cartons. Theres no substrate in the cells so im suprised it made it to the top and is trying to fruit

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170114_012012.jpg
  • 20170114_011928.jpg

• Needles, wharfrat, mjroom and 1 other like this

#2 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:22 AM

How did you inoculate the egg carton and how long has it been since you started? Looks great. This is in a plastic tote with a lid? Do you have vents for FAE or are you just in there every day checking it out? Looks clean have you had any issues with contams of any kind? Thanks for posting. mjroom.

• GrumpyGnome likes this

#3 GrumpyGnome

GrumpyGnome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:02 AM

I inoculated with small pieces of myc in each cell, looking back I should have put little shreds of cardboard/wood shavings into the cells right after inoculation so now I know that for next time. I keep it in a gallon ziplock bag with some polyfil sealed in one corner for fae. Im not to sure about the time of inoculation I kinda forgot about it for awhile but its been several weeks atleast. I havent noticed any contamination yet which im pretty suprised about since I wasnt that clean when I made it and ive had it out of the bag once already.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170114_074727.jpg

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

i had good success growing on and in egg carton cardboard. 

I even blended it in the blender and grew on that pulp in petrie plates.

https://mycotopia.ne...-2#entry1223697

• GrumpyGnome and Ferather like this

#5 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

Experiment with adding soluble nutrients, and soak the card in that, you will get full colonization in a faster time.

Processed paper or card has basically no micro, macro nutrients or vitamins, Its run out and fruiting.

Nice share, easy to assemble, very low contamination chance.

• GrumpyGnome likes this

#6 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

i had good success growing on and in egg carton cardboard. 

I even blended it in the blender and grew on that pulp in petrie plates.

https://mycotopia.ne...-2#entry1223697

Very nice, I have done clone to WL-Tek in a 250ml container, took 3 days with very aggressive growth. Never tried it in a petri dish, I can confirm you are on the right track, nice work.

• happy4nic8r likes this

#7 GrumpyGnome

GrumpyGnome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. Ill be cutting this up with scissors later tonite and spawing it to some oak wood shavings. Ill update this thread with pics if it works out.

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,278 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

I'm reminded of this work:

https://mycotopia.ne...loning-machine/

• mjroom and GrumpyGnome like this

#9 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

Fancy and upgraded version? I have done card, it contains plant resins. To prove this soak brown card in hot water, the water will change colour to amber.

This is also the case with pine, you can utilize pine however you must saturate it in water for a long period. This will remove inhibitory resins.

An alternative would be to destabilize the oleoresins using calcium carbonate, they will break down to pH and become energy.

Checkout my WL-Tek, which is much the same, except the paper pellets are able to hold up to 85% water.

Here are pet paper pellets, 100% clean, 99% plant fiber, no chemicals.

IMG_20160907_224246.jpg IMG_20160907_224446.jpg

• mjroom likes this

#10 GrumpyGnome

GrumpyGnome

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the link myc.....i enjoy hyph's posts...some good info in there.Those paper pellets are pretty cool ferather....never seen them before

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!