3 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

Greetings Urban Gardeners

This thread will start a series of threads I will do on my new obsession - berries.

I set out this past year to improve on the yard at the house I am living at when I discovered the yard was already offering currents, apricots, plums, rhubarb and strawberries. I set out to completely rip out the typical over grown junk of a yard you find in a lot of the urban core and to start the begennings of a small to micro scale sustainable urban yard.

I created a space for a strawbale garden, used the many many cinder blocks that I removed from the yard repurposed and created a cinder block garden, creating trellis structures from repurposed trash items for gourds and a grapevine I found later in the yard, wood pallet style compost pile and really laid the ground for the next several years coming with a couple of patches of king stroph and oyster mushroom patches. All going well till 60 hour work weeks for a whole year and a requirement on living arrangements that went from long term to having to move at the end of fall 2017.

This really knocked the wind out of my spirit that had been sailing pretty high. Just another roadblock to my desire to put roots down and grow personally and professionally. I'd found my calling and the calling is strong but damn the setbacks! It is always the timing it seems and the amount of time it was going to take to rip out what I had put in and to transform the begennings of my micro urban homestead back into a simple urban back yard I decided to stop most of the activities of building on my future plans to start the "clean" up of the yard.

After a particular frustrating day where I asked many many times "what now" I discovered dwarf blueberry plants that could be grown in containers, I found dwarf fruit trees and many other berries that could be grown and produce for Many years in containers with the slow growth or pruning techniques.
Enter retail therapy coupled with end of the year clearance sales and my berry obsession sprouted.

I struggled on putting this in the B2L or UG forums as I have come to love both but see so much that crosses over and blends together.
I struggled with how to present the info because it was more important to me then just "here look at my plant" as I wish to develop these threads into quality informational threads our members can USE not just view and comment.

I came to the decision that I would do a basic grow log of all my plants and trees in containers in UG and then do an additional thread of basic growing info in B2L. One will tell you how to grow the plant and the other will take that knowledge and show you the ability to grow them in containers or in an "Urban" style.

Keep an eye out for new posts and come along for the ride.

Bear
  • Skywatcher, Juthro and GLP like this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Part 1
Elderberry
https://mycotopia.ne...t-1-elderberry/

Edited by PsyBearknot, 15 January 2017 - 08:45 PM.

• GLP likes this

#3 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Links to the B2L thread

#4 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:15 AM

Part 1
Elderberry
https://mycotopia.ne...t-1-elderberry/

Part 2
Red and Black Currant
https://mycotopia.ne...art-2-currents/

Edited by PsyBearknot, 07 March 2017 - 05:15 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!