#1 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

I saw one of these online. This is simple and there are many versions , some improved.
This can be made in different ways.

This might be useful in an emergency to survive. Be careful of burning anything inside, including candles.

I believe it is designed and based on the heat holding and heat release properties of ceramic and metal.

An ancient tek - a clay pot radiant heater.

peace

edit - sitting here in an ice storm  freezing rain   looks like a sheet of glass outside. I am lucky I provide for myself so I lack nothing. smoking some cannabis spending time here watching the day go by. I am fortunate.

Attached Thumbnails

• candle heater 1.jpg
  • Candle heater 3.jpg

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 16 January 2017 - 02:56 PM.

• Coopdog, Juthro and Ramble like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,159 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

Cool design :)  I bet it works pretty well.  This time of year I always carry a candle lantern and extra candles as part of my cold weather emergency kit in my rig.  It could save a life.

We have had temps hovering around 0*F for about 3 weeks now, and the weather service says its going to drop another 10 or 15 degrees this week, so to be prepared.

It drives me nuts to see people driving around with shorts, and t-shirts this time of year.  At -15*F, with a 10 MPH wind, your wind factor is at -35*F.   You don't want to have to try and change a tire, or get a rig out of the ditch while wearing shorts, and a t shirt at those kind of temps. 

I hope you stay warm and safe during your storm, HS.

• Coopdog and Heirloom like this

#3 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 788 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

here is a video to the cleanest burning down draft gasifier wood stove I have seen  and another for the hottest. I think the first stove with the internal secondary air tube may have the most potential as far as design goes because the secondary air can be heated much more effectively than with the outer can system where the fire only heats one side of the secondary air tube. Both designs are based upon the exact same working principals. Either one would be a very good unit to have on hand in case of an emergency. mjroom.

[Direct Link]

https://www.youtube....uea5T6T4&t=280s

PS: both of these burners can be used to burn wood solids sticks sawdust etc. and both leave spent fuel as bio char or charcoal you can use in your garden or in your substrates. The second design was measured burning HWFP (hardwood fuel pellets) at over 1500 degrees F. That's a very hot burn. On top of all this they are mesmerizing to watch as they burn.

Edited by mjroom, 16 January 2017 - 11:48 PM.

• Coopdog, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#4 Ramble

Ramble

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:27 AM

I've always wanted to try one of these out! Lemme know how well it works :)

#5 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:51 AM

The clay pots work great. We use a smaller one inside a bigger one, and it works plenty good enough to heat our room up in our normal range of cold temps. However we recently found out that even the electric heater (1500 watts) doesn't keep up well if the wind is blowing and it is 12 degrees outside. We have a helluva lot of blankets though!

• Juthro and Ramble like this

#6 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 788 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

[Direct Link]

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

Thanks , I seem drawn to heaters , furnaces and to cooking teks like cooking on a stick over a fire to cooking fish or what ever on hot coals , just right on the hot coals to be direct. I like cooking on a hot rock to. I also like more modern methods like dutch ovens to what ever. I also love to learn about food preservation.

I sampled a west coast grown sativa so bear with me as I am High. Thinking about our need for water and survival mentality, the psychology of surviving . The value of a positive attitude and loved ones . I got a few books to read to pass time and talk about in the evening as entertainment

Wow this sativa makes me want to talk on about ways to charge devices with only clay pots, water, some wire and a material like cow dung. Used in India where they have no electricity.  Making a primitive batter charging system.

I am thinking of better fuels , later

• Juthro likes this

#8 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

I am thinking that vegetable oil lamps would work better than paraffin candles, for light and heat
with the clay pots . I will have to do some experiments to know for sure.

I know that veg oil lamps can be made using a tuna can and veg oil, used veg oil works good.

Veg oils can be made at home with home grown oil crops and a hand press.

I am going to see how this works and get back here.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 12 February 2017 - 01:14 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,159 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

I've seen those mason jar style, olive oil lamps. They worked ok, and put out a decent amount of light, and a nice aroma.

I was told they will also work with other vegetable (and corn) oils. But that the olive oil burned the cleanest, with the least amount of soot.

They were basically just a wire framed wick holder, that was made to drop into a 1/2 pint mason jar. My friend picked up a bunch of them online for cheap (amazon IIRC). I thought about getting some for SHTF situations. As vegetable oil is a fairly easy, and cheap fuel to source. They work well for providing basic lighting, and little warmth.

The biggest thing I noticed about them was that they were harder to light then a standard oil lamp, or candles. Flame has to be in contact with the wick for several seconds before it will catch. I would advise wooden kitchen matches, or a BBQ type lighter to make using them easier.

Edited by Juthro, 12 February 2017 - 04:04 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!