61 replies to this topic

#1 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 739 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for the responses. I decided to edit this one away. I don't know this person well enough. I was just a bit bothered. 

Edited by Guy1298, 17 January 2017 - 02:46 AM.

#2 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,405 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:02 AM

I may be missing the gist here but, psychedelics are not a panacea. I have no doubt there are far more assholes that have consumed psychedelics than the alternative to that....

Some people are just assholes.

Edited by August West, 17 January 2017 - 01:02 AM.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#3 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:59 AM

Well, I'm an asshole with a smile, and I'll be the first to admit it......
:biggrin:

But yeah, I know what you're sayin' Guy1298.  I, just this past week, tried to have a somewhat enlightening, intelligent conversation with someone about how plants use chemicals to communicate with each other, as well as other biological entities.....He laughed it off and started playing with it,( I was roasting peppers at the time and he asked if they were screaming).....

2 things I learned that day.....I'm to intelligent for the line of work I'm in, and some people's minds are closed so tight, that not even scientific evidence can persuade them otherwise......

In those instances, I've figured out to keep it simple minded for those types of folks....otherwise you're just :deadhorse:

• Heirloom and SteampunkScientist like this

#4 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,405 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:19 AM

Just to be clear...when I say "asshole", I don't necessarily mean what you (the general you - pc enough?) think I mean (as always). I mean, thick, stupid, unenlightened or whatever other adjectives pretentious psychedelic users use in order to describe "non-initiates". There are plenty of cunts out there who think they're special just because they've ingested a molecule. They're not. That said, If one is close-minded about the possibilities afforded by ingesting some relatively novel molecules, then, perhaps, they are just a cunt.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#5 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 739 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:25 AM

!

Edited by Guy1298, 17 January 2017 - 02:44 AM.

#6 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,405 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:31 AM

Anyone have similar experiences?

Are you simply talking about someone who doesn't see any value in the use of psychedelics?

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

This parrot thread is no more.  This is an ex-parrot thread.

• ChimX likes this

#8 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

I'm so confused......

#9 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,453 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

How can we have a bad opinion about someone who hasn't tripped? It's their choice. It's even their right to have an un-thought-out opinion on the matter.

The best way to deal with them is to move on and learn from the experience.

I have a brother in law I love dearly. We often leave the wives home and go fishing, stay up all night around a monster campfire, eat shrooms, and generally have a great time.

BUT

the dude just doesn't get it. He doesn't see a spiritual or educational component to the shroom or the trip. To him it's just another inebriant like alcohol, which is what he wants to do anyway.

This frustrates me for a hundred reasons but mainly because he's intelligent enough to benefit from the education and spiritual upgrade but stubborn enough to resist the idea that it's possible.

Now, if I were following my own advice I'd just not bother with providing him with the mushrooms again

BUT

I get the benefit of the trip and the whole bonding experience regardless. Maybe at some future date the lessons will permeate the stubborn un-curiousness and he'll catch up.

SO

We do what suits us best :)

• SillyCone, Skywatcher, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

Not all fruit ripens at the same time.

~Mooji

• SillyCone, Heirloom and tailsmcsnails like this

#11 Zwapa

Zwapa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

maybe we can learn from this mirrors, instead of seeing them as something / someone who is not like us. we all see when tripping or some when sober, how we are all connected, no?

:dry:

• coorsmikey, SillyCone, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

Being the change we want to see is our part.  Could it hurt to find satisfaction it that?   It could be the most powerful thing possible.

• SillyCone and SteampunkScientist like this

#13 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 739 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Heh, the title was badly chosen. 

It didn't really have to do with the person not having done psychs, not really. He is a unique person that sees life so differently from me in a certain way, that I was quite bothered. First person of his type that I've come across. 

I have an uncle that thinks we all live in a computer system. Truly believes it. We laugh about it as he tells me I don't exist. The way he looks at things doesn't bother me even slightly. (Note: it's not my uncle I have a problem with. It's someone else. My uncle is pretty cool, in my opinion.) But for some reason, when people have a narcissistic presence (not my uncle, etc.), delusions of grandeur, and incorrect knowledge that springs from their lips as though true. I can't stand it, internally. 

I would guess it's the incorrect knowledge and the over-valuation in presentation of their own opinion that bothers me most. I don't want to constantly be that guy that says, "No, it's actually like this." Or argue a point in which the person listening fluidly and instanteously incorporates every contradictory opinion on the fly. There no point to it. It's just bullshit. 

Edited by Guy1298, 17 January 2017 - 06:51 PM.

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

Is it a bad idea to question just what that is in, and/or of, us which does exist?  If and when we find that, will it be time to shit-can any other parts of us that don't stand up to that test?

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 January 2017 - 05:28 PM.

• Guy1298 likes this

#15 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 739 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

I think the more I try to explain why I had a problem with this person, the more misunderstanding will arise. :) Haha. Oh well. 

Not worth worrying about, I'd guess. Heh.

#16 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,453 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Ok, I'm throwing down the Clarity Challenge!!!!!!!!

in 40 words or less explain exactly what your issue with this entity is

tick tock...............cue game show music...................

#17 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 739 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

I'll try to clarify.

What bothers me? One thing is from what I have learned. Take something that you know really well. Then this "entity" says something non-sensical with regard to it, but he says it in a way that communicates "I've mastered all of this." 

Another thing that bothers me. This person vastly overestimates themselves and they're potential; they mostly do it out of ignorance of what it requires to be good at something. In conversation, the person doesn't feel real, at least to me. Everything is communicated with a smile and a weird confidence. The things that I find in people that make them feel real doesn't seem to appear in this person, the things that make me feel comfort and trust in them. 

Not only do they overestimate themselves, but they have a vision of fantastical perfection, but it ignores the reality of being human, our weakness and insecurity, which I is incredibly important in the way that I look at life and how I relate to people. 

Also this person cares to argue about things I find useless. This is kinda the way it came into not having tripped. Because I felt that you would quickly stop caring about those things if you tripped, because you'd be able to say, "I don't know." 

But it's really the combination of it all. The way this person holds himself in conversation, the weird confidence in speech, the over-estimation of oneself, the lack of displayed human weakness and from my perspective a lack of real human expression about life, the false kind of wild things being presented as true, etc. 

This person is probably the worst possible person I should communicate with. Perhaps it's just personality type. Who knows? I just have never met someone I disliked talking with as much as he. 

But, I should pause. How do I relate to people? How do I talk to people? What am I trying to express? Is it possible I am similar to he is? I've thought about it. I should at least be careful. But, I'd guess he lives in a nice perspective. Maybe I was like him when I was walking around in Peru. We think we're being happy, smiling, confident, but we have lost our connection to reality, possibly. Despised by people that see what's really going on and how wrong all the shit we say really is.

Edited by Guy1298, 17 January 2017 - 08:02 PM.

• coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#18 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 12,521 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

Who are we without our personalities?  Would we disappear?   If we look at our personalities, are these like some suit of clothes we have put on?   Do we straighten our tie for that personality over there, and not for this one over here?   What if we were simply this awareness in which all of this pretense is seen?    Could we come quietly into that awareness and be comfortable? 

What's with all these questions, anyway?   Am I the fucking FBI or something?

Edited by Alder Logs, 17 January 2017 - 10:04 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#19 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,453 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

If you were the FBI, knowing what you know about all our eminently provable illegal activities, wouldn't you send out your top dog to a news conference and make a very public announcement that you wouldn't be forwarding your evidence to the Prosecutors, because no Prosecutor would touch this case?????

Because the law is applied equally to druggies as it is, let's say, high ranking politicians?????

Hey, what's my malfunction? Asking political questions in a philosophy thread???

Edited by pharmer, 17 January 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#20 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

If we look at our personalities, are these like some suit of clothes we have put on?   Do we straighten our tie for that personality over there, and not for this one over here? 

Yes, and Depends on your job.....would be my answer to these two questions....

Edited by fungi2bwith, 18 January 2017 - 12:29 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!