Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

legalization of recreational marijuana made Colorado roads more dangerous?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,334 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

Sam Cole, a Colorado Department of Transportation spokesman, referring to marijuana-impaired driving. "Unfortunately, many marijuana users admit to driving high and are unconcerned with the impairment it causes."
Cole said his department's focus is on drunk driving "since it's a bigger issue."
In 2014, more than a third of the 488 fatalities in Colorado were alcohol-related, CDOT reports. In comparison, 84 of the 684 drivers involved in fatal crashes tested positive for weed.

more..
http://m.gazette.com...article/1572149
  • Heirloom likes this

#2 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,733 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

testing positive for "weed" does not mean there was sufficient "weed" in the bloodstream to impair the driver, nor does presence of "weed" in the blood prove that the "weed" tested driver was at fault

this is a shitty smear of dopers. the jerks' own data proves nothing but that dopers tend to stay home when they've been smoking

• Heirloom and SteampunkScientist like this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,735 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

The only problem I have with driving while high is sometimes not having any weed to get high with first. But anyway, here are some relevant links I've found in recent years that address the issue of driving under the influence of THC:

http://www.ukcia.org.../driving/01.php

http://www.mapinc.or.../n1161/a02.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm....7?dopt=Abstract

http://www.erowid.or...abis_myth.shtml

List of other studies: http://www.ukcia.org...iving/index.php

http://thefreethough...CizsRqUpueXz.99

From an auto insurance company (you'll love this one): http://www.prweb.com...rweb9375729.htm

From our own government: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2722956/

A relevant excerpt from the page linked above:

4. Summary of effects of marijuana on driving performance. Although
 cognitive studies suggest that cannabis use may lead to unsafe driving,
 experimental studies have suggested that it can have the opposite effect.

In my experience, the above is definitely the case. Makes me much less prone to outbursts of road-rage towards the zombies with cars who are oblivious to what's going on around them even when they're stone-cold sober. And less in a hurry to get wherever I'm going, too...

• Sidestreet, AGAMA, Alder Logs and 3 others like this

#4 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,564 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

I just read an article not a couple days ago about the exact opposite of this headline.....

Basically a study out of colombia university showed that medical/recreational states automobile fatalities have dropped considerably....

• Alder Logs, Heirloom and Lakegal7 like this

#5 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

this subject really comes down to the individual. 

i can operate a motor vehicle after smoking or dabbing. after edibles i shouldn't

because i can feel how impaired i am. my balance is off, reaction time is slowed, 

and i'm easily distracted. 

my mom on the other hand- should not be allowed to have keys after she even

takes the first hit. 

• Heirloom likes this

#6 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

I daresay that if tomorrow the laws were written such that alcohol were to be made illegal and weed totally legal that Friday nights would be the safest time to drive on any highway anywhere.

Personally I absolutely hate driving in that state.  I have a personal rule that I NEVER operate any machinery or power tools - and, what is interesting is that when in that "state" I am absolutely stubborn about that.  I simply will not do it.  But alcohol makes you bend your own rules....or completely forget them!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 20 January 2017 - 12:44 PM.

• Heirloom and Lakegal7 like this

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• OG VIP
  • 9,882 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

When I could still handle pot, in my early twenties, everyone who rode with me enough to know, preferred that I be doped.    I did catch myself one time, stopping for a green light, but it was some real thunderfuck that had taken me by surprise.   Luckily, mine was the only car in sight.   Generally, I would love to see everyone on the Los Angeles freeways at rush hour pleasantly high and see how that would work out.    All prison populations should be given a daily ration of cannabis.   Before we make being high mandatory, everyone should be tested for blood sugar levels and permission to drive be somehow keyed to that.   It's why I can no longer toke up.  

Edited by Alder Logs, 20 January 2017 - 12:52 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#8 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Hashman I like the fact you posted this, though I don't believe having a little cannabis for experienced users or driver is a problem.

• Viridis420 likes this

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,735 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

I should probably add that I learned how to drive at the same time I was learning how to get high. In SoCal traffic, no less. I only caught air once while trying to catch up to some friends in a car ahead of me who'd gotten too far ahead (I needed to see where they turned). I didn't judge a rise in the road very well but the momentary zero-gravity feeling was pretty cool (as was the lack of crashing).

Granted, I almost had to pull over after eating one of my own supercharged edibles a few years ago (I isomerize the hash oil before making them). The damned lanes wouldn't stop jiggling, making it a 60-mile white-knuckle ride on an interstate during a clear, dry day with very little traffic. I controlled my breathing and carried on through it, with some help from my cruise-control.

• kcmoxtractor and SteampunkScientist like this

#10 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Wow, TV. That would be too much for me man.

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,735 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Wow, TV. That would be too much for me man.

I can be a bit much for myself sometimes, too.

But thanks to crossing more than a few of them, I know where a lot of those proverbial lines that probably shouldn't be crossed really are. After all, how else do we find 'em? headbang

• AGAMA and SteampunkScientist like this

#12 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

I cannot in a y circumstance drive after consumption of THC. However thc is not recreational for me anymore and causes me to flip my shit. Now during my yound adult years, if i was driving i was high, hell if i was awake i was high. Besides the occasional sitting at the intersection waiting at the stop sign for a green traffic light signal, i was more relaxed driving down in some of the most engineering failures of inner city interstates such as a limited 100' of lane to merge with traffic in a 55 mph speed zone, which means they were going 75 around here. They have spent the last decade redoing the Crossroads of America so perhaps i can dab and give it a go.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

#13 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:05 PM

After the legalization of recreational cannabus in WA.the news really tried to blame cannabus use to car accidents. What they failed to say was theses drivers also had alcohol in they're systems.
Yes, some folks should not drive high.
For me personally, if I'm on a road trip, I get very sleepy, if I take one hit, I'm good to go. Alert and conscientious.
The weed that's out there today is so much more potent and we need to know our limits.
What has scared the hell out of me these last few years are driving in proximity to a texter. They take impaired driving to a whole new level.
  • SteampunkScientist likes this

#14 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,726 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

Yeah, tell me about texters.  That is why I sold my Harley and dont ride anymore.  After almost being T-boned three times in one week, I put the bike up.

But you are right about the weed these days, especially in places Like Co and WA (hey and in 2018 legal dispensaries in Mass! that far for me, but a hell of a lot closer than Colorado!) That stuff is at psychedelic levels now.  The best I ever had in Highschool is utter shwag compared to this stuff!

• Lakegal7 likes this

#15 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,496 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:07 PM

I agree that driving under the influence of marijuana is dangerous. I can't begin to count all the horrific accidents I have heard about on the TV news and in newspapers caused by stoned drivers going 25mph in a 70mph zone on the interstate.

Edited by dead_diver, 04 February 2017 - 11:09 PM.

• Sidestreet, Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,735 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

The weed that's out there today is so much more potent and we need to know our limits.

My experience is considerably different; to this day the best/strongest buds I've ever personally had were obtained around 1991.

And my older friends fondly recall the Acapulco Gold/ Panama Red, etc. days of the 70's (not to mention the strains being bred around Kona in Hawaii at the time, some of which were the ancestors of today's top-shelf strains). Growing up in a rural part of SoCal spoiled me since I didn't smoke schwag until I went to college in Arizona (and it wasn't too bad there since I was less than 100 miles North of "the line" so it was still relatively fresh). Until then I just assumed that all pot smelled exactly like a "surfeit of skunks" and tasted "spicy" (I looked up what a group of skunks is called instead of just calling it a "stank of skunks," which is real hard to say three times fast).

Anyway, those friends don't remember not getting just as blazed back in the day as they can today, and unless someone has been genetically modifying cannabis then the potencies of modern strains are expressing the most favorable phenotypes, which must already be extant in the cannabis genotype (i.e., it's complete heritable genetic identity).

I suspect that a lot of the perception of modern strains being so much more potent stems from much better post-harvest handling practices (like proper curing, for one). Seeds from Mexi-schwag grow into awesome and very potent, gorgeous buds (I was most impressed); frankly it's a miracle that brickweed gets anyone high at all thanks to being Sun-dried too fast and its lack of proper curing (before being squished in a trash compactor and hiked across a desert just to get into the U.S., not to mention the rest of the journey to the end users across the country). The perception also seems to partly be a function of gov't propaganda scare-tactics.

It's definitely advisable to know one's limits (with cannabis or anything else), and to pay attention to how they change since taking a few weeks off from smoking can result in quite a surprise when one resumes ("Hey, what's the floor doing way up here?"). :weedpoke:

Edited by TVCasualty, 06 February 2017 - 09:21 AM.

• Hash_Man and SteampunkScientist like this

#17 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 440 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

Maybe my space time continuum is off T.V. I think your right. I did partake in some strong weed in the 80s!
I am probably comparing the weed I had access to from the 70s
Curing plays such an important part of the process.
I of all people should know better than to spread tidbits I hear from mainstream media.
It all come back to knowing ones limits. Hands down I'd rather be in a car with a high
driver than a drunk driver.
  • TVCasualty and SteampunkScientist like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!