• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 emanresU

emanresU

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

I wanted to share these strange pinheads. It is P. ostreatus.

IMG_4441.JPG

I totally forgot about theese bags... Maybe standing there for 2 months. 

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

The little mushrooms grew where the "sponge" touched the filter. never seen anything like this before.

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

Funky and alien looking

Oysters will look "coral like" when it does not have enough oxygen / fresh air exchange
  • Needles and CatsAndBats like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,484 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

They :wub: TONS of FAE.  My oyster grows got significantly more productive when I started putting them outdoors, but then the mice got em'.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is about a concise of a thread as there is on oyster grows:

https://mycotopia.ne...r-some-friends/

mad props to @needles

• Needles likes this

#4 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 815 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:53 PM

Like others here have said lots of FAE. It's still not a loss you can mist that bag and put it in a open tote. Set it by a window for plenty of lite. Keep misting and you should get some more mushrooms off that bag. Heck I would cut the ones you have there and fry them up.

#5 emanresU

emanresU

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I allways give oysters a lot of fresh air and humidity. I also only grow them in the cold, this way they are alot better tasting and are not like latex...

I like oysters to be dark colour, thick with virtually no stem and oyster looking. They have the best cullinary properties like this.

Theese bags were forgoten sealed. I opened this one to take the pictures.

#6 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

As everyone has said fruit bodies for oysters require constant fresh air exchange (FAE), roll down the bags, you want no higher than 4 inch walls.

This could however reduce the humidity, depending on the environment, and cause a drastic water loss and then mass aborting.

You may need to adjust or alter the setup for fruiting, else you could try misting more often with clean water.

#7 AmatuerShaman

AmatuerShaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

One material that's worked really well for me outdoors has been landscaping fabric, it allows a lot of FAE while still containing some humidity and depending on light requirements is excellent for blocking alot of direct sunlight that would dry your sub or irritate your myc. It's cheap and easy to setup a simple frame and staple some on into whatever configuration you need. Good luck.

• CatsAndBats likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!