• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 425nm

425nm

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

A friend of mine got a spore print at a music festival. Not having any experience growing mushrooms they handed off to me. Apparently it is of the magical variety. The print size and colour is about right. Anyhow I threw it under the microscope at work and grabbed a photo (shot down the eyepiece at 40X). Anyone have any ideas species wise? Or know of a good key for Psilocybe spore?
Unfortunately I don't know where the ocular micrometer has been stashed so I could not measure them.

Attached Thumbnails

• Spores.jpg

#2 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,494 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

I can't help with the microscopy but I'm sure someone will be able to....

Why not just inoculate a test jar and see what happens? Could be fun lol I'm guessing it's probably P. Cubensis based on absolutely nothing other than the fact they are so commonly cultivated... It would be easy to tell if it was in fact P. Cubensis once it was grown out.

If it were me I would inoculate a cake and try to fruit it then ID the mushroom but I can see you not wanting to waste time if it can be IDed by the spores themselves.

Anyway... someone more knowledgeable should chime in shortly... good luck!
-Ethno

#3 425nm

425nm

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:09 PM

I can't help with the microscopy but I'm sure someone will be able to....

Why not just inoculate a test jar and see what happens? Could be fun lol I'm guessing it's probably P. Cubensis based on absolutely nothing other than the fact they are so commonly cultivated... It would be easy to tell if it was in fact P. Cubensis once it was grown out.

If it were me I would inoculate a cake and try to fruit it then ID the mushroom but I can see you not wanting to waste time if it can be IDed by the spores themselves.

Anyway... someone more knowledgeable should chime in shortly... good luck!
-Ethno

I'm just waiting for some inoculation loops to come in the mail and I'm going to throw them onto agar. I'm sure they're cubensis and I can probably get at least one fruit out of a dish. I'm just impatient.

#4 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:36 AM

They look like cubensis spores, but I am certainly not an expert on microscopy.

You got a spore print at a music festival?  That's kind of odd.

• Myc, Arathu, Needles and 1 other like this

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...072-microscopy/

Dig it man..............right here at home we have the Library at Alexandria..................  :hug:

By the way this link leads to a bad-ass thread that should be near and dear to your hearts......................jus sayin........ :biggrin: 

Edited by Arathu, 24 January 2017 - 12:13 PM.

• Needles and CatsAndBats like this

#6 425nm

425nm

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:08 AM

https://mycotopia.ne...072-microscopy/

Dig it man..............right here at home we have the Library at Alexandria..................  :hug:

By the way this link leads to a bad-ass thread that should be near and dear to your hearts......................jus sayin........ :biggrin:

Ahha! Thank you good sir. Looking at those I am tempted to conclude it might be P. subaeruginascens rather than cubensis. What with the vacoule taking up relatively little room in the cubensis.

• Arathu likes this

#7 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:25 AM

It's hard to say buy your micrograph but they have the look of P. cubensis spores.

Nice score anyway, touch them to some agar and see what the mycelium looks like....
  • Arathu likes this

#8 425nm

425nm

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

c76f8ed0aa0b6b886fb06868ae9dfe82.jpg

Well I streaked the spores out on a plate and after a week and a half incubating I've got this...
For the life of me I can't tell if that single patch of growth is actually on the streak lines. It's near one of the spots I cooled my loop so chances are good that it is since I try to start near those as a landmark.

I'm struggling for adjectives but it's fluffier than I thought it would be. Makes me wonder if it's other less desirable fungal growth (upon closer inspection of the bag my friend gave me the print in. It had clearly been used to store plant material prior). I'm surprised that I only got a single nucleus of growth despite using a zigzag streak.

I did make my own innoculation loop out of NiChrome wire and I know that good loops are make of platinum. I had assumed that was for durability sake but does the biological material stick better to platinum? Allowing for better dispersal.

#9 425nm

425nm

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

If anyone has tips on photographing plates I am all ears.

#10 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

I like the way you used back lighting on that plate it worked great with the camera you were using. Unless you have a stereoscope with a camera attachment it may be harder to get a better photo.
Are those glass plates? Glass plates imo have a tendency to hold more condensed than plastic. Some of the condensation may have picked up some spores and taken them to the edge of the plate where they germinated. I have found that mold spores germinate very quickly. So if it has been a week and a half you still may have your desired growth. You will just have to give it more time.

It's hard to tell from the photo but is there mycelium growing at the 3 o'clock position between the bottom and cover of your plate?

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

I say grow that out and see what comes of it.......and try top or side lighting if trying to photograph plates...IMHO..... Back lighting is usually for dramatic effect...............  :cool: Although mycelium looks cool with it....... 

#12 425nm

425nm

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

I like the way you used back lighting on that plate it worked great with the camera you were using. Unless you have a stereoscope with a camera attachment it may be harder to get a better photo.
Are those glass plates? Glass plates imo have a tendency to hold more condensed than plastic. Some of the condensation may have picked up some spores and taken them to the edge of the plate where they germinated. I have found that mold spores germinate very quickly. So if it has been a week and a half you still may have your desired growth. You will just have to give it more time.

It's hard to tell from the photo but is there mycelium growing at the 3 o'clock position between the bottom and cover of your plate?

They're plastic but there's always the risk of the condensation messing things up. Chances are decent its just where I started my streaking.
I'd say the growth is more so at 2 o'clock rather than 3. The waiting game it shall be! I'll update when things become clearer.

@Arathu - Side lighting might work. Overhead I get issue with glare off the lid.

• MLBjammer and Arathu like this

#13 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:05 PM

The pains of myco photography...............I fully understand...................... :dry: ..........sigh

A

#14 425nm

425nm

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:06 AM

ecaabda32ff87785c10e4c510c476921.jpg

Haha! I got germination on the second plate. No photo of it because it turns out the growth is next to impossible to see on regular agar. Lesson being, dye your germination plates.

Threw a wedge into some sterilized popcorn I had on hand and another wedge onto blue plate.

I'll grain to grain transfer just to build up some spawn and then move it to bulk substrate. Anyone have any recommendations?
  • Needles likes this

#15 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

If it's cubie and it were me....after expansion of the grain.......I just like straight up HPOO (pasteurized) with some coarse verm (sterilized) for moisture adjust to field capacity at spawn time into mono tub............but that's just me. 

There are many that will definitely work but HPOO is my personal favorite............there's something about dung............ :tongue:

A

• Needles likes this

#16 425nm

425nm

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:03 AM

If it's cubie and it were me....after expansion of the grain.......I just like straight up HPOO (pasteurized) with some coarse verm (sterilized) for moisture adjust to field capacity at spawn time into mono tub............but that's just me. 

There are many that will definitely work but HPOO is my personal favorite............there's something about dung............ :tongue:

A

My issue with horse dung is actually getting the stuff. Although there probably are a few farms near-ish (finding the time to get out to one of them is the main issue) I think my roommates might object to anything too fresh. Would steer or sheep manure that's sold at garden stores work? I've looked at a few bags but there's zero information on the composting process they use : \

I just transferred the initial 250ml of popcorn up to a new jar of ~750ml about an hour ago so at bare minimum I have to wait for that jar to colonize.

• Arathu likes this

#17 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

A

My issue with horse dung is actually getting the stuff. Although there probably are a few farms near-ish (finding the time to get out to one of them is the main issue) I think my roommates might object to anything too fresh. Would steer or sheep manure that's sold at garden stores work? I've looked at a few bags but there's zero information on the composting process they use : \
I just transferred the initial 250ml of popcorn up to a new jar of ~750ml about an hour ago so at bare minimum I have to wait for that jar to colonize.
If you have a fairground or somewhere that they have horse shows would be the ticket. You could find plenty of substrate at places like this. Wish you luck in your future grows.....

#18 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

Steer definitely works, I do not know about sheep, and Hippie used to sell Donkey poop I think,  and even if you gather fresh you can "season" it outside. But it sounds like you share an apartment or house with others. Yeah I've heard about my involvement with shit..................I've been called a dung beetle...........hahahahaha

Hey, YOU signed up for this hobby...I'm just sharing ideas....... :biggrin: My wife about lost it when I pasteurized a large sack of horse poop even outside............no freaking way it was coming in her house. 

She's the one that called me dung beetle...............I told her that I am Dirtmaker, she might want to be careful! Hahahahahahaha (no I'm not serious)

A

Edited by Arathu, 09 March 2017 - 04:48 PM.

• ChimX likes this

#19 425nm

425nm

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

Steer definitely works, I do not know about sheep, and Hippie used to sell Donkey poop I think, and even if you gather fresh you can "season" it outside. But it sounds like you share an apartment or house with others. Yeah I've heard about my involvement with shit..................I've been called a dung beetle...........hahahahaha

Hey, YOU signed up for this hobby...I'm just sharing ideas....... My wife about lost it when I pasteurized a large sack of horse poop even outside............no freaking way it was coming in her house.

She's the one that called me dung beetle...............I told her that I am Dirtmaker, she might want to be careful! Hahahahahahaha (no I'm not serious)

A

Funny you should mention dung beetles. As part of a job I used to work I was raising Hercules rhinoceros beetles and millipedes in a mix of rotted wood and elephant dung. It grew whatever mycelium came in on the the wood like a hot damn! All the better for my baby arthropods. I miss that job.

I'll give the steer manure a go and if I can get my hands on horse manure I'll split it between the two. Assuming I can find some way to mitigate the smell problem. The roommates will only tolerate so much weirdness.

#20 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,202 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

Steer definitely works, I do not know about sheep, and Hippie used to sell Donkey poop I think, and even if you gather fresh you can "season" it outside. But it sounds like you share an apartment or house with others. Yeah I've heard about my involvement with shit..................I've been called a dung beetle...........hahahahaha

Hey, YOU signed up for this hobby...I'm just sharing ideas....... My wife about lost it when I pasteurized a large sack of horse poop even outside............no freaking way it was coming in her house.

A

Funny you should mention dung beetles. As part of a job I used to work I was raising Hercules rhinoceros beetles and millipedes in a mix of rotted wood and elephant dung. It grew whatever mycelium came in on the the wood like a hot damn! All the better for my baby arthropods. I miss that job.

I'll give the steer manure a go and if I can get my hands on horse manure I'll split it between the two. Assuming I can find some way to mitigate the smell problem. The roommates will only tolerate so much weirdness.

Oh yeah......mushroom people usually wind up with a tribe of other mushroom people or by themselves...........  :biggrin:  Dung lovers limit that list even further.............hahahahahahaha.............and to date I have not seen the insects that share this environment cause failure of the process in fact I think they belong there. They are however a contamination vector to be sure. BUT still if we are going eat or ingest any of these things then cleanliness and knowing what we have is obviously a good idea.

And once that poop is leached and seasoned, I made a place to spread it out and let the rains fall on it and then baked it in the sunshine until powder dry, outside the scent goes WAY DOWN. But if you put manure in a pressure cooker or in a big cauldron on the stove you're gonna have to answer to the others, I did not tell you to do that...hahahaha.................. do get a picture of their faces though............. my wife almost killed me..... :cool: 

• ChimX likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!