Cigarsam

Traveller

• VIP
  • 778 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:59 AM

Hello to all,

First time producing reishi mushrooms.
Substrate questions:
Do the spores or l.c. need to inoculated to grains first and then once fully colonized moved over to a sterilized fruiting bag of hard wood flakes?
Is wheat bran added to the wood for nutrition?
I saw a bag of wheat bran at publix.
Bob's Red Mill, is this a product I might need?
Apologize for the noob questions.
Don't want to screw this one up. Any helpful advice would help out.
Peace
  • Heirloom likes this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

o()xxxx[{::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

• OG VIP
  • 9,200 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:05 AM

Yes one needs to create established spawn to introduce it to the final substrate, one can't just add spores or LC to a bag of chips. Bran is a common additive for primary decomposers/wood loving substrate, it's optional but if one adds it the sub will need to be sterilized, if one uses it just wood based spawn then pasteurization will work.

This video is very close to the method that I've learned at most of the radical mycology workshops that I've attended in the last couple of years:

[Direct Link]

Edited by catattack, 25 January 2017 - 08:05 AM.

• Needles, Heirloom and Jeepster like this

#3 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

I hope all goes well for you. I just started some in an all in one grow bag I got from a vendor. They are very convenient. Rye berries on bottom, straw in the middle, and sawdust on top. Like $6 a piece. Ain't bad! Good luck man. I'll be watching!

Edited by JustAnEyedea, 25 January 2017 - 12:18 PM.

• Heirloom and Cigarsam like this

#4 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 927 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Bobs red mill will work great although its very expensive. It's what I first started to use when I made up sawdust bags. I found wheat bran that is used for worm farms. It was a little bit less.

Hello to all,
First time producing reishi mushrooms.
Substrate questions:
Do the spores or l.c. need to inoculated to grains first and then once fully colonized moved over to a sterilized fruiting bag of hard wood flakes?
Is wheat bran added to the wood for nutrition?
I saw a bag of wheat bran at publix.
Bob's Red Mill, is this a product I might need?
Apologize for the noob questions.
Don't want to screw this one up. Any helpful advice would help out.
Peace

Bobs Red Mill works great. It's a little spendy but for a few bags it will be fine. If your planning to just use a normal PC then shoot for about three pounds of substrate per filterpatch bag the eight inch bags work great. I weigh out three pounds after my sub is brought to field capacity.
  • Heirloom and CatsAndBats like this

#5 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 927 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

Yes one needs to create established spawn to introduce it to the final substrate, one can't just add spores or LC to a bag of chips. Bran is a common additive for primary decomposers/wood loving substrate, it's optional but if one adds it the sub will need to be sterilized, if one uses it just wood based spawn then pasteurization will work.

This video is very close to the method that I've learned at most of the radical mycology workshops that I've attended in the last couple of years:

[Direct Link]

That would be awesome to be able to mix up a hundred pounds of dry substrate in one batch. Ummm, maybe someday.

#6 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the details guy, this is one that I want to try in the future so I am tucking this away like a greedy little squirrel stuffing his cheeks. :tinfoil: :biggrin:

#7 Ferather

Ferather

Cellulose Lover

• Free Member
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:54 AM

Myers Mushrooms Aka Gr0wer from shr**mery, He's one of the good guys. Never flames or vents, he knows lots, and takes suggestions on-board.

Edited by Ferather, 26 January 2017 - 08:54 AM.

• Cigarsam likes this

#8 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveller

• VIP
  • 778 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

JustAnEyedea,
I just got a Reishi kit in the mail.
With hopes to make an l.c. from the spores or mycelium once it has fully developed in the grow bag.
I ordered some pre sterilized sawdust too but I also need spawn.
I'm guessing wsb would work on this as a spawn?
I read the wheat bran works too but I haven't worked with it before.
Any tips would help out to further my research on this great new way to stay healthy and away from big pharma.
Thanks to all.
This is what the looks like I have to wait another 3 weeks before I can put it into fruiting conditions it said on the instructions and I must wrap another plastic bag with holes made on the bag.
Before that I must put an X on the bag using a sharp knife. I'm not sure where I need to cut into the bag for more far. Find out later, it needs to colonize more the other side is covered in mycelium.
14854655087151371021992.jpg

Edited by Cigarsam, 26 January 2017 - 04:29 PM.

• Heirloom , JustAnEyedea and GLP like this

#9 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

I haven't worked with bran either. That's my next venture. I would expect that wbs will do just fine. I use rye berries for pretty much everything, because I can never get the moisture content right on my wbs!! It's quite frustrating. Once I have singe spare time I'm going to do Cue's wbs tek.
https://mycotopia.ne...-wbs-steep-tek/

Sends like the way to go. He does around 50# at a tinge using this tek. So, that's what I'll try next! Can you post a pic of your kit for me? Good vibes your way.
  • GLP likes this

#10 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveller

• VIP
  • 778 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

I hear ya on the moisture content with wsb.
Just started working with rye that I had to order online and it's working well. 5 out of my 6 pound bags have fully colonized.
Can't find rye down here as easy as wsb where I live.
Peace
  • jizzmasterzero, JustAnEyedea and GLP like this

#11 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,544 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

Reishi is a powerful medicine. I have been taking it for a while. Last year my wife had a procedure that indicated pre cancerous
cells .

I started her on a mushroom regime that included Reishi. The last  DR.  appointment and biopsy indicated she has no pre cancer cells and will need no more surgical procedures. I could say more but I shook hands with the DR. and took my wife home after she was released. A huge change in only 1 year. This was for stomach cancer.

Edit - the procedure only took biopsy 's no removal of much tissue.

We get 1500mg of a complex of beta glucans , nucleosides and other bio active compounds a day or more. This has helped me.

My DR. cant determine why I am doing so well based on blood work because I never mentioned medicinal mushrooms, though the DR. has a problem with Cannabis use. My wife and I have the same DR.

I want to tell my DR. but she has to come around on Cannabis before I will tell her. She has denied some treatment, though wants to be our DR.. I am readsy to tell her I will seek treatment from a shaman if I can't get proper medical treatment here.

She will lose out on obtaining experiential knowledge of medical mushrooms and psychedelic as well as Cannabis @ a time when increasing the immune systym is being used to treat cancer.

I gotta give you a like for asking about Reishi

I see people here who can help , good luck.

namaste

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 26 January 2017 - 04:54 PM.

• Arathu, Needles, Cigarsam and 2 others like this

#12 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Can't find rye down here as easy as wsb where I live.
Peace

I hear that. I have to order my rye through the vitamin shop I use. It only takes 2 days, and I don't pay a shipping fee or anything. Not bad. Like $20 for 35#.

@heirloom that's amazing that reishi has done that for the misses, that's why I'm going to grow them. To boost my immune Austen, and the wife's if she'll hey over herself and fuckin eat em. How much does she have to consume to get the desired effect on her immune system?
  • Heirloom , Cigarsam and GLP like this

#13 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,544 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

just . I hear they taste bitter and often done as a tea. I can't give an exact dose , maybe the internet can help.

The blend I take :

cordyceps sinensis
agaircus blazei
grifola frondoss
ganoderma lucidum
lentinula edodes
coriolus versicolor

I buy this blend of mushroom extract.

Edit  - I cant grow this amount I use. They take 250 lbs of mushrooms and end up with 1 lb of extract.
That is used in medicines. Large amounts can be purchased.

I believe an ancient  term for Reishi is " elixir or Life"   or " Mushroom elixir of Life" .

I am not spamming but I get these from aloha medicinals.They also provide mushroom cultures for large grows.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 26 January 2017 - 05:28 PM.

• Cigarsam and GLP like this

#14 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

small_GEDC7763.jpg

small_GEDC7768.jpg

small_GEDC7779.jpg

I've been picking wild for about 10 years now...I need to make some tea actually and also get some growing. Nice thread! Some primordia from last season...........

• Needles, Heirloom , Cigarsam and 2 others like this

#15 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Awesome! We don't have shit like that in southern Idaho.
  • GLP likes this

#16 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Shit..........I could use a hand carrying the haul out...I've grown old enough that I can't even come close to picking a dent into what grows. It eats the hemlock swamps and falls in the stream bottoms here in the East. Very common.........

• Needles likes this

#17 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

Jealous

#18 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 927 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:39 AM

Reishi is a powerful medicine. I have been taking it for a while. Last year my wife had a procedure that indicated pre cancerous
cells .
I started her on a mushroom regime that included Reishi. The last  DR.  appointment and biopsy indicated she has no pre cancer cells and will need no more surgical procedures. I could say more but I shook hands with the DR. and took my wife home after she was released. A huge change in only 1 year. This was for stomach cancer.
 Edit - the procedure only took biopsy 's no removal of much tissue.
We get 1500mg of a complex of beta glucans , nucleosides and other bio active compounds a day or more. This has helped me.
My DR. cant determine why I am doing so well based on blood work because I never mentioned medicinal mushrooms, though the DR. has a problem with Cannabis use. My wife and I have the same DR.
I want to tell my DR. but she has to come around on Cannabis before I will tell her. She has denied some treatment, though wants to be our DR.. I am readsy to tell her I will seek treatment from a shaman if I can't get proper medical treatment here.
 She will lose out on obtaining experiential knowledge of medical mushrooms and psychedelic as well as Cannabis @ a time when increasing the immune systym is being used to treat cancer.
I gotta give you a like for asking about Reishi
 I see people here who can help , good luck.
 namaste

That's just plain awesome to hear stories like this. Glad to hear you and your wife have a noticeable health improvement from taking medical mushrooms.
I told a MD about extracting polysaccharides from mushroom cells once. They don't want to hear about such a thing. Seems like if it doesn't come from a pharmacy, it's like how could it help heal you...
  • Arathu and Heirloom like this

#19 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 927 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:41 AM

Shit..........I could use a hand carrying the haul out...I've grown old enough that I can't even come close to picking a dent into what grows. It eats the hemlock swamps and falls in the stream bottoms here in the East. Very common.........

I have a strong back. Lol...
  • Arathu likes this

#20 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

I have a strong back. Lol...

If nothing else I could try and make a nice haul this year and ship some dried to folks ...........my intention, however, is to get these mushrooms growing close so when I can no longer make my crazy journeys..........I will still have my mushrooms

• Needles and GLP like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!