• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Awesome pics of reishi in its natural habitat.
Can't find them down here either in the lowest of the 48.
This bag seems to be spreading it mycelium quickly.
I wonder what the exact ingredients are in this block of sawdust?
I am also looking forward to making a block like this one day.

Edited by Cigarsam, 27 January 2017 - 06:56 PM.

• Arathu, Heirloom Spores and GLP like this

#22 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,279 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

@ Needles, thanks for telling about how DR.'s react when people tell them about healing mushrooms and they dismiss the info.

They don't even know that this could help other patients and themselves. funny thing is if they did a little research .they would find plenty of evidence supporting the value of medical mushrooms. Lots of research done by the Japanese on medical mushrooms.

I have enjoyed this thread and pics, peace 

• Arathu, Needles, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#23 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:05 AM

Man this block is colonizing fast.
Does anyone here know how much wheat bran I need to add to a 4 pound bag of sawdust?
Once this block is fully colonized I plan on opening the bag and putting the plastic bag with holes made on it.
Also, I want to try to get a small piece of the mycelium and transferring it to agar.
That's the plan we will see how it works out.
Post some more pictures in a few days.
The back side of the bag is completely white.
I guess getting air inside the filter patch seemed to speed things up.
Peace

Edited by Cigarsam, 28 January 2017 - 10:22 AM.

• GLP likes this

#24 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

Man this block is colonizing fast.
Does anyone here know how much wheat bran I need to add to a 4 pound bag of sawdust?
Once this block is fully colonized I plan on opening the bag and putting the plastic bag with holes made on it.
Also, I want to try to get a small piece of the mycelium and transferring it to agar.
That's the plan we will see how it works out.
Post some more pictures in a few days.
The back side of the bag is completely white.
I guess getting air inside the filter patch seemed to speed things up.
Peace

Sounds like you have a good strain of reishi. Once it gets on a wood substrate it will take off.

For four pounds of substrate I would use three pounds of sawdust one pound of hardwood chips and six and a half ounces of bran. It wouldn't hurt to add a big pinch of garden gypsum either.
Looking forward to seeing pix of you reishi grow....
  • Heirloom Spores, Cigarsam and GLP like this

#25 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

20170130_121515.jpg 20170130_121527.jpg
These are some pictures I took today.
The mycelium is really taking off.
In a few more weeks I am supposed to cut the bag open a few inches above the mycelium and place another plastic bag over It with holes in it in order to increase the air flow.
I have a small fan blowing close it the bag as well as a small hepa air purifier.
Hoping for the best.
Like I mentioned in an earlier post I want to take some of the mycelium and place it into some home made agar plates.
Then on to grains to repeat this project so I have an abundant supply of medicinal Reishi to make with tea and capsules.
Don't really know how much to take a day but I will continue reading as much as possible about this great medicinal mushroom.
Front side and the back side of the block. (Pictures)
I found out that my father does a lot of work at a local wood shop. Does anybody know what type of hard would this mushroom prefers?
I can ask him to round up some and send it to me if it's worth it.
He thinks all this is B.S. and believes in modern medicine. He is old school and retired military and only sees in black and white. (NOT COOL)
I wish I could some how make him understand how important this is for me and that I believe in this stuff.
But that's another long story all together.
I read that this mushroom is good for certain types of cancer too. Prostate cancer maybe?
Enough rambling.
Until next time,
Peace

Edited by Cigarsam, 30 January 2017 - 12:49 PM.

• Arathu, Heirloom Spores and GLP like this

#26 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,279 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

I have a paper copy of this PDF. This contains info on Reishi and other mushrooms, written by  Georges M Halpern ,MD, PhD

Hope you do great.

Edit- mushrooms are on the cutting edge of modern medicine. a person does not have to believe for mushrooms to work. If they are willing to try them for 90 days then see lab results they will believe.If required take them every day to live longer.

Attached Files

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 30 January 2017 - 01:24 PM.

• Arathu and GLP like this

#27 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 536 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

Your myc looks great. Better than my blocks that never fully colonized. I think my strain was shitty. you're well on your way to fresh reishi

@heirloom thanks for that pdf. it'll make for some good reading tonight.
  • Cigarsam likes this

#28 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

attachicon.gif20170130_121515.jpgattachicon.gif20170130_121527.jpg

Like I mentioned in an earlier post I want to take some of the mycelium and place it into some home made agar plates.
Then on to grains to repeat this project so I have an abundant supply of medicinal Reishi to make with tea and capsules.
Don't really know how much to take a day but I will continue reading as much as possible about this great medicinal mushroom.
Front side and the back side of the block. (Pictures)
I found out that my father does a lot of work at a local wood shop. Does anybody know what type of hard would this mushroom prefers?

Peace

Reishi bags like that can have a thick mycelium matt that is fairly contaminate resistance. When you do transfers to agar be carful and use aseptic teks.....
I like to make double extraction of polysaccharides tinctures. Once that is done a tablespoon in green tea a day seems to be enough.
I have found that reishi grows well on oak sawdust. If they are building oak furniture and using a plainer those shavings work very nice.....

Your blocks look very nice. Reishi likes it a little warmer for fruiting. Bet you have a nice harvest....
  • Arathu, Cigarsam, JustAnEyedea and 1 other like this

#29 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:12 AM

Thanks Heirloom for your help.
This is going to be brilliant, I can see it now.
Needles too and JustAnEyedea.
Great help so far.
This is an awesome support community we have here at Mycotopia.
Peace
  • JustAnEyedea and GLP like this

#30 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,789 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:15 AM

I'm watching with great interest! Very nice indeed................I'm hoping to do the same here this year with Reishi and get some Maitake fruiting too.

Thanks for the book HS.....my library is insane................. :biggrin:

A

#31 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

What's up out there?

The wood shop were my father does his projects at collects all types of wood in 55 gallon drums.
It would be nearly impossible to separate the hard wood from the soft wood because each machine is hooked up to a hose/vacume that inhales all the saw dust.
Oak, cherry, and pine and so on.
So that's a dead end I guess.
I asked him if it would be possible separate the vacuum hose when he is using oak next time though.
I think it's a safety violation if he were to do that.
So that's a no go for now unless he comes up with another idea.
I told him there is no rush anyways.
I asked him if he or his wife would be interested in Reishi mushrooms for their health benefits and he about cut me off at mid sentence and said we don't know a thing about that! (mushrooms)
What a shame, I told him and his wife to read up on it before they say no to the idea.
Thanks for the support folks
Peace

Edited by Cigarsam, 31 January 2017 - 05:49 PM.

• Heirloom Spores and GLP like this

#32 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

20170131_173857.jpg 20170131_173917.jpg
Check out all of the metabolites that have collected in the bottom of this bag.
Has anybody successfully used this to clean up or fight contams on agar plates or used in tubs before?
I read about this being done before I just wanted to know if anyone here has tried this.
  • JustAnEyedea and GLP like this

#33 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

attachicon.gif20170131_173857.jpgattachicon.gif20170131_173917.jpg
Check out all of the metabolites that have collected in the bottom of this bag.
Has anybody successfully used this to clean up or fight contams on agar plates or used in tubs before?
I read about this being done before I just wanted to know if anyone here has tried this.

It's getting ready to fruit. Your bags should have a yellow gel of metabolic fluid collected in the bag it won't hurt your grow.

@microbe and myself were just talking about doing experiments with bacteria and metabolic fluid as we both have cultures of both substances and microscopic equipment to verify results. Maybe a separate thread would be in order.

Keep watching your bags, they look great.....
  • Heirloom Spores and GLP like this

#34 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

That would be a very interesting tread for sure Needles. I'm looking forward to learning more about this topic.
  • Needles likes this

#35 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

That would be a very interesting tread for sure Needles. I'm looking forward to learning more about this topic.

Ok then if you are interested then please give me a couple days. I don't have micro video recording abilities but I do have a strain of bacillus cultured and will do a wet mount then induce metabolic fluid. I will post photos and results here for you to see...
  • Cigarsam likes this

#36 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,279 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

Cigarsam , another place to collect wood is from a tree cutting service or a firewood company. They use hardwoods and those should work fine.

• Cigarsam likes this

#37 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,789 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:51 AM

Another bad ass thread happening here in Topia land. Those bags look great from what I see. I can't wait to see a big old medicine head or ten pop up and out of there, and for spring to show up here. The mushrooms and I are tired of sleeping already and there's medicine to be made.

Beautiful!

A

• shoomer, Heirloom Spores and Cigarsam like this

#38 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:45 AM

20170201_085455.jpg
This is the bag that I need to put over the block once it gets more colonized.
Increases the airflow.
How much longer should I wait to open the bag with the colonizing block?

#39 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 536 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

I wait for primordial growth, but that's just me,
  • Arathu, Needles and Cigarsam like this

#40 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:54 PM

I read that I should increase the airflow by cutting an X into the filter and bend the four corners down. I would think that would invite unwanted contams into the bag.
I actually like what I have seen over the past 5 days.
This is a strain that produces some dark purple fruits.
Can't wait to see the progress over the next few weeks.
  • JustAnEyedea likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!