Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 766 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:11 AM

I wait for primordial growth, but that's just me,

I too would say keep the c02 levels up until you start to get pins. Sometimes it is desirable to have high c02 to get long linger like fruits. Once you get conk formation then use the bags you have shown with the holes. Just keep the bags warm....

Edited by Needles, 02 February 2017 - 12:18 AM.

#42 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:08 AM

Okay, Thanks for your advice Needles.
I will stick to this method until I see pins.
And then I will open the bag and start fanning and misting possibly placing it in my terrarium as opposed to covering it with the bag that came with the kit.

#43 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/|\( ;,;)/|\ & [^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 7,293 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

You seen this?

https://mycotopia.ne...5-reishi-block/

I found it through the gallery:

gallery_22966_144_1384987910_240062.jpg

https://mycotopia.ne...144-myyyyy-k-o/

• Arathu, Needles, Heirloom Spores and 1 other like this

#44 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 766 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

attachicon.gif20170131_173857.jpgattachicon.gif20170131_173917.jpg
Check out all of the metabolites that have collected in the bottom of this bag.
Has anybody successfully used this to clean up or fight contams on agar plates or used in tubs before?
I read about this being done before I just wanted to know if anyone here has tried this.

The results are in. As far as metabolic fluid killing bacteria its negative. I even did a wet mount using metabolic fluid collected from reishi with no fatalities to living bacillus. I did take pictures to make this experiment more visual.
Jar of grain spawn that metabolic fluid was collected from
image.jpeg
Plate of cultured bacillus
image.jpeg
Gram stain of bacteria showing pink rod shaped Gram negative bacillus
image.jpeg
  • Microbe, Heirloom Spores, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#45 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

Nice work Needles. Sorry to hear about the results.
Just another picture. I noticed the entire block is bright white with mycelium.
This one part is an off white more of a light gray color.
Should I be concerned? Does this mean there is too much Co2 build up in the bag?
Would this be a good time to open up the bag and place the other plastic bag with holes in it for better air exchange?
Thanks
It's like a new pet. I'm overly concerned about this Reishi bag.20170202_112206.jpg 20170202_112219.jpg 20170202_112224.jpg
Hope these pics help with the grayish spot on the block.
It's hard to see in these pictures but there is a grayish hue in there.
Peace

Edited by Cigarsam, 02 February 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#46 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

/|\( ;,;)/|\ & [^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 7,293 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

Should I be concerned? Does this mean there is too much Co2 build up in the bag?
Would this be a good time to open up the bag and place the other plastic bag with holes in it for better air exchange?
Thanks
It's like a new pet. I'm overly concerned about this Reishi bag.

no pic showing sam

#47 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,576 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

attachicon.gif20170131_173857.jpgattachicon.gif20170131_173917.jpg
Check out all of the metabolites that have collected in the bottom of this bag.
Has anybody successfully used this to clean up or fight contams on agar plates or used in tubs before?
I read about this being done before I just wanted to know if anyone here has tried this.

The results are in. As far as metabolic fluid killing bacteria its negative. I even did a wet mount using metabolic fluid collected from reishi with no fatalities to living bacillus. I did take pictures to make this experiment more visual.
Jar of grain spawn that metabolic fluid was collected from
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
Plate of cultured bacillus
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
Gram stain of bacteria showing pink rod shaped Gram negative bacillus
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
Different enzymes have different metabolic functions. If a culture is exposed to something repeatedly, it will develop a enzyme that will either break down and consume as energy or control or eliminate. Most fruit bearing fungi already pocess natural bactericides but as the bacteria evolves so must the fungi and what may take millions of years for organisms such as ourselves, fungi can evolve over a single generation or even as quickly as it can colonize a agar plate. Fungi evolve at the blink of a eye relatively speaking.

I speculated that it was eliminated from my tubs and maybe it hadnt been, mayne it still exists. As lactobacillus is considered a competitor for carbohydrates and in fact i believe it would be considered a hog, at some point i would think the mycelium would want to eliminate it from the substrate.

On the contrary if the mycelium colony is spending significantly less amount of energy on cellular respiration because of the lactobacillus is doing half the work, maybe the mycelium will continue this symbiotic relationship.

Forget all that, but if you repeatedly exposed your culture to that culture of bacteria, it will become resistant to it and or develop a emzyme to control or destroy it. Maybe destroy is inaccurate and i should say disrupt it, temporarily weakening it long enough to take the substrate isolating the bacteria colonies where they are limiting its food source and or its ability to take anymore market share of the substrate lol

So the metabolic fluid was extracted from the grain jar. IMO it is possible that the mycelium did not spend energy creating the enzyme to fight off the bacteria. Mycelium is very in tune with its enviroment while chemical signals send information throughout the entire colony. If no where does any part of the colony come in contact with a competitor organism, it probably wont flip that switch to produce the enzyme.

I think a good experiment would be to take metabolic fluid from a contaminated grain jar and then a clean grain jar. I believe that they will have many of the same enzymes but the contaminated one will have 1 or more enzyme not present in the clean jar.

How could we as citizen scientists comduct this test?

To sum all this babble up,
Primary and secondary metabolites can be influenced by the enviroment from carbon and nitrogen sources, temperature, ph, other organisms, and etc we cannot conclusively say that metabolic fluid secreted by mycelium does not destroy bacteria. Perhaps the metabolite you harvested was produced simply for digesting the grain.

Regardless great experiment and we need more of this around here. This info and info alike may not be practical to everyone as we all have our own expectations and goals from growing for medicinal value, growing for profit (edibles), some are here for the social networking with Awesome People , and so on but for information alone is why we need to see this.

Edited by Microbe, 02 February 2017 - 01:44 PM.

• Needles, shoomer, Heirloom Spores and 4 others like this

#48 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,820 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

Damn sweet...............very well said Microbe!  

• Needles and Microbe like this

#49 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 766 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:10 PM

Damn sweet...............very well said Microbe!

Agreed...... any chance that we have to experiment and share results should be noted.
  • Microbe and GLP like this

#50 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:20 PM

Wow! Very nice infomation, well put Microbe. This is turning out to be a very interesting tread. A must read for all interested in medicinal edibles.
Thanks for all to have posted in this thread.
  • Arathu, Microbe, Heirloom Spores and 1 other like this

#51 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 766 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

Thanks
It's like a new pet. I'm overly concerned about this Reishi bag.attachicon.gif20170202_112206.jpgattachicon.gif20170202_112219.jpgattachicon.gif20170202_112224.jpg
Hope these pics help with the grayish spot on the block.
It's hard to see in these pictures but there is a grayish hue in there.
Peace

I can't see a grey spot but the bags look pink. I'm thinking its your lights, I think your bags should be good. As long as you don't get a spot of trich. Keep a eye on them.....
  • Cigarsam likes this

#52 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,325 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:13 AM

Some smart people here on Mycotopia

• Cigarsam likes this

#53 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

20170203_180742.jpg 20170203_180754.jpg
Here is another picture of the Reishi bag.
To me it looks like a light gray area is spreading on the top part of the block.
It doesn't smell bad through the filter patch so I'm hoping this is just part of the growing process.
Going to put it in another spot where I don't have to look at it every day.
Keep ya posted.
  • GLP likes this

#54 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 536 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

Seems the more I look at them the easier they contam. Good choice. That's what I do now. Set it and forget it for a month.

Edited by JustAnEyedea, 03 February 2017 - 07:28 PM.

• Cigarsam likes this

#55 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,820 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

My mentor made me do the three day hands off promise................hahahahahaha........."quit peeking and have some patience" I'd hear.................And true to teachings......seems the more I become an active vector for contamination the more contamination I see and experience.................. no?  :cool:  Right Cue?

It is true.................

A

• Cigarsam likes this

#56 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

Should I be worried about this spot? Yellowish and gray patch. There really is a lot of metabolites in the bottom of this bag.
I was thinking about taking a small syringe (23G×1 1/2) and extract some.
Anybody agree or disagree with this idea let me know?
Thanks
Hope this doesn't affect this block of mycelium.1486505305322-651758640.jpg

Edited by Cigarsam, 07 February 2017 - 05:16 PM.

• GLP likes this

#57 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,820 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

Not familiar with reishi growing, up close and personal, in a bag..............it looks like "normal" metabolites to me but I don't know......any bad smells at all???........ I hope it's cool. Reishi is a powerful ally IME. 

......good healthy vibes man.

A

• GLP likes this

#58 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 766 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

Should I be worried about this spot? Yellowish and gray patch. There really is a lot of metabolites in the bottom of this bag.
I was thinking about taking a small syringe (23G×1 1/2) and extract some.
Anybody agree or disagree with this idea let me know?
Thanks
Hope this doesn't affect this block of mycelium.attachicon.gif1486505305322-651758640.jpg

No need to extract that it won't hurt anything. It will produce even more. Those red splotches are good, might even be where you start to see conk formation....
  • Arathu and GLP like this

#59 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,820 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

Sweet...new knowledge....I gotta grow these too................. c'mon conks!  :biggrin:

• Cigarsam likes this

#60 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the advice.
No bad smell at all either.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!