489 replies to this topic

#41 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

o()xxxx[{::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

• OG VIP
  • 9,199 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hardwood tea? Like boiled and strained? I've never come across that.

You can read all about hardwood teas here: https://mycotopia.ne...over-grow-log/  :biggrin: it's 100+ pages long now, so get some coffee brewed (or hardwood tea).

Edited by catattack, 26 January 2017 - 05:27 PM.

• Arathu, JustAnEyedea, salviamycelium and 1 other like this

#42 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

Alllriiiiight! Thanks cat! I'll get to reading tonight after my 8hr period as a slave.
  • MLBjammer and Kraven like this

#43 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

Yep...exactly..........and not to steal into Cat's work here in this thread (thanks for Woodlover pop Cat!) but here is where I am going right now................ Arathu :wub:  Hen of the Woods, so much that he is working on isolating a fruiting strain from local spores germinated on said HWBRFA (boiled dead oak wood tea) The wood material I used was gathered from a lightning strike scar down the side of the tree that I picked the mushroom off of. I get one there almost every year actually. 

small_grif_frond_001.jpg

The clumping/knotty mycelium will be expanded first (specifically because I'm learning what characteristics I need to isolate to get sheephead/maitake/hen of the woods to fruit for me) .......Cat wanted me to make charcoal black.......perhaps on something else. These are going to blue (first time I'll color any and I have blue hahaha) HWBRFA......cause I like blue (macho excuse to cover up that I, actually the wife, already have blue).

A

I think I'll start a thread in the edibles block........... :bat: Cats gonna whack me with wood........hahahahah

Edited by Arathu, 26 January 2017 - 06:56 PM.

• MLBjammer and Needles like this

#44 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

Sweet. I'm sure I could figure out how to use all these hardwood pellets I have to make tea.
I also used blue in my last run. Made it dark as hell. The myc really seems to like the pulverized oyster shell I put in there. The jars have been exploding with growth even though they are in sixty degree room. They are coming along nicely. Gonna have to do some invitro stuff with it, because the wife is freaking out about growing cubes lol. She's so cute.

Edited by JustAnEyedea, 26 January 2017 - 07:17 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#45 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,199 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

Yep...exactly..........and not to steal into Cat's work here in this thread (thanks for Woodlover pop Cat) I think I'll start a thread in the edibles block........... :bat: Cats gonna whack me with wood........hahahahah

No sir, I welcome other peoples work on my threads. Post away!

• MLBjammer, JustAnEyedea and salviamycelium like this

#46 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

Destroy Your Television

• Black VIP
  • 585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yep...exactly..........and not to steal into Cat's work here in this thread (thanks for Woodlover pop Cat) I think I'll start a thread in the edibles block........... :bat: Cats gonna whack me with wood........hahahahah

No sir, I welcome other peoples work on my threads. Post away!

This is going to be the best thread ever! A collection of different recipes and techniques to agar work. Gnomesayin???!!!
  • MLBjammer, Arathu, Needles and 3 others like this

#47 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 927 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

With all the talk about using wood tea it put me into research mode. So this afternoon I simmered red oak sawdust, red milo or sourgum, and the one to watch is black walnut. I had a opportunity to plane and work with black walnut this past fall I kept a few bags of shavings. I found out that it is and has been a proven anti fungal. The nuts have been used to treat fungal infections including ringworm. I also prepared some malt yeast agar too. I have two clean plates of PDYA so that will give us five different agars to work with. Here are the liquids we will be using. No food coloring has been used for this experiment.
image.jpeg
Having used yeast in the PDYA I am using it for this test. My plates come 25 to a sleeve so to fill all of them each beaker has
300ml of tea or water
5 grams agar agar
5 grams barley malt
.25 gram nutritional yeast
image.jpeg image.jpeg
My beakers have threaded caps, all I did was drilled a hole and added a synthetic filter to the cap.image.jpeg the beakers have been mixing on the magnetic stirrer for about an hour and now ready to PCimage.jpeg
I plan on using three or four different strains of wood loving mycelium to each type of agar to see what plate will grow out the best.

Edited by Needles, 27 January 2017 - 04:21 PM.

• MLBjammer, Arathu, Seeker2be and 2 others like this

#48 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 927 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

Plares are poured
image.jpeg
And the section has been made...

I will do one plate each with
Grifola frondosa Maitake
Hericium erinaceus Lions Mane
Ganaderma lucidium Reishi
P. cyanescens
P. ovoidiocystidiada

All wood lovers and ready to go into a new home.image.jpeg
  • MLBjammer, Arathu, Seeker2be and 2 others like this

#49 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:11 AM

Plares are poured
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
And the section has been made...

I will do one plate each with
Grifola frondosa Maitake
Hericium erinaceus Lions Mane
Ganaderma lucidium Reishi
P. cyanescens
P. ovoidiocystidiada

All wood lovers and ready to go into a new home.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Bad ass..............Nice work Needles! He said..............WOODLOVERS...............

• MLBjammer and Needles like this

#50 Lazerus00

Lazerus00

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 329 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

Awesome thread and source of info Cat!!!Do you work with a FH? I only ask bc I notice you don't use petris and I'm wondering if thats why?

• MLBjammer and CatsAndBats like this

#51 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,199 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

Awesome thread and source of info Cat!!!Do you work with a FH? I only ask bc I notice you don't use petris and I'm wondering if thats why?

Nope, SAB. The flowhood work will be in the coming months. :biggrin:  I'm still using my first ghetto ass SAB that I started with. If one masters and practices flawless (or at least tries to) clean work, one can use whatever is available. Agar for the masses!

• MLBjammer, Needles, Seeker2be and 1 other like this

#52 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

I am using the same old clear storage tote that I have had for years, with a couple hand holes popped out in the bottom.  It has never failed me, whether working with spores, agar, G2G, etc.

A flow hood is certainly much nicer and easier to work with, but it is also a luxury, and some folks just cannot afford the investment.

This hardwood tea is making me jittery, lol.

• Arathu, Needles, Microbe and 1 other like this

#53 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,199 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Alright today's recipe is:

• 12g agar-agar (telephone brand)
  • 5g cornmeal
  • ~4g sucrose (one sugar cube)
  • 5g yeast
  • green stain
  • pinch of 'catattives' (coir, eggshells, oats, soil, which are all future foods)
  • 600ml h2o (tap)

All in a wide mouth quart jar in a water bath at medium heat.

#54 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,007 posts

Donator

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

pouring agar into petri dishes in front of a flow hood after doing it inside of an sab, is sooooo much easier to do. for this reason alone, a flow hood was worth it for me.

cat have you ever tried petri dishes? i know you love your agar jars but there are many pros to using petri's. just saying ;)
  • Needles, CatsAndBats and salviamycelium like this

#55 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,199 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

pouring agar into petri dishes in front of a flow hood after doing it inside of an sab, is sooooo much easier to do. for this reason alone, a flow hood was worth it for me.

cat have you ever tried petri dishes? i know you love your agar jars but there are many pros to using petri's. just saying ;)

I'm actually making the transition, as I was gifted some nice glassware. Thing is the jars are easier to work with in the SAB but the petris will be for the flowhood. NAWMEAN JELLYBEAN?! :biggrin:

• whitethumb and Needles like this

#56 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,007 posts

Donator

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

I'm actually making the transition, as I was gifted some nice glassware. Thing is the jars are easier to work with in the SAB but the petris will be for the flowhood. NAWMEAN JELLYBEAN?!
glad you're making the transition, you won't be disappointed. you might never go back.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#57 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 927 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

A couple things to consider when preparing agar for plates. I PC for 40-60min once 15psi is reached. Air cool for at least two hours. If you have trouble with spill over try filling the PC with water at least to half the volume of the agar and don't move your PC at all until it has cooled down. After the PC has cooled but still warm to the touch then it can be opened.
The hotter the agar is the more condensation there will be. I like to wait until I can comfortably hold the bottle of agar but not so cool that the agar starts to set in the jar.
  • Arathu, CatsAndBats and shrooms2017 like this

#58 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,199 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

Do my transfers, and pray to the Gods

Indeed or I make offerings to the dwarves or both! I sing incantations too! hahahahaha :cool:

For like 7 days straight until I see growth! Lolol

Arathu's ............go to .......simple HWBRFA............... it's not a standard or anything like that,............it's just what I've found to work for me and the fungi.

40g powdered organic brown rice flower
9.5g powdered agar
500ml Hardwood tea

So what am I looking for?

• I know the mycelium that we want (in this case) is going to be bright white in color.
  • I know that the mycelium we want (in this case) becomes rhizomorphic in its growth.
  • I deliberately use a known container/boundaries and further a known pattern (streaking) of inoculation within the boundaries in order to further chances of germinating, identifying, and then cultivating a specific species.

(Hardwood "cattative" can be anything you'd like to train a fungi to consume) at least that's my current view of the situation............that and every bit of the 7 days of rattles and smoke clouds................. hahahaha

A

That's a lot of nutrition. How'd you come up with 40g brf? Just curious, I'm not 'flaming' or being contrarian. I ask because I'm about to make woodlover agar.

Edited by catattack, 28 January 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#59 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

• OG VIP
  • 9,199 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

Fuck it, I'm doing woodlover agar today as well. :biggrin:

Just deciding on the recipe gallery_131808_1351_1589.gif

Edited by catattack, 28 January 2017 - 02:46 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#60 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 927 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

image.jpeg

It's on..... I tried to use equal size transfers each time. When I make transfers like this I cut the square in the mycelium. Then cut with a cinerated scalpel blade right under the mycelium trying not to take to much agar. Another thing to keep in mind is to keep the transfer gently sitting on the tip of the scalpel. That way your wedge will not stick to your blade when you go to place it on the clean plate.
  • Arathu, Seeker2be, Microbe and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!