850 replies to this topic

#781 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:19 AM

Those look a bit light deprived, almost like you have been distracted and practicing the neglect Tek. They still look yums though.

Those went from knots to that in about four days. With a 24/7 box fan on low and near a west facing white shaded window.

• RamenShaman likes this

#782 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

Oh and I'm coming back to my agar here with a vengeance, please be patient. :biggrin:

• ipc and RamenShaman like this

#783 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:33 AM

post-147940-0-47638400-1529325084.jpg

"nuts"

Attached Thumbnails

• agar no nuts.jpg

• Sidestreet, Soliver and circusanimal like this

#784 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:02 PM

Looking to do my first agar in half pints like this.  I got some Ball plastic storage caps that look like the ones in your photos, but they say "not intended for processing."  Did yours say the same, and do you have good results with them in  a pressure cooker?  Or should I use upside down standard lids and switch them out when ready to inoculate?

post-147940-0-47638400-1529325084_thumb.

#785 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

Looking to do my first agar in half pints like this. I got some Ball plastic storage caps that look like the ones in your photos, but they say "not intended for processing." Did yours say the same, and do you have good results with them in a pressure cooker? Or should I use upside down standard lids and switch them out when ready to inoculate?

Just go ahead and use the plastic ones. I even tighten them fairly tight. You might find this helpful:
https://mycotopia.ne...izes-agar-agar/

First post I talk about those lids.
  • MeadMaker likes this

#786 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,275 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:26 AM

Looking to do my first agar in half pints like this.  I got some Ball plastic storage caps that look like the ones in your photos, but they say "not intended for processing."  Did yours say the same, and do you have good results with them in  a pressure cooker?  Or should I use upside down standard lids and switch them out when ready to inoculate?

The ball lids work great. I think they say that on the bottom to CYOA.. Not to get a lawsuit if someone was to get sick from canning. They will work fine for all your mycology needs try to stay away from the off-brand plastic lids.
  • Microbe likes this

#787 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

Yeah, the plastic lids get real pliable and loose around 250f so they prolly don't meet food safety standards. [They melt around 300f]
  • Needles likes this

#788 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

Looking to do my first agar in half pints like this. I got some Ball plastic storage caps that look like the ones in your photos, but they say "not intended for processing." Did yours say the same, and do you have good results with them in a pressure cooker? Or should I use upside down standard lids and switch them out when ready to inoculate?

The ball lids work great. I think they say that on the bottom to CYOA.. Not to get a lawsuit if someone was to get sick from canning. They will work fine for all your mycology needs try to stay away from the off-brand plastic lids.
Exactly right. I have been using the lids for 5 years now and although i have added to my stock, i have the orginal lids i started with. The plastic lids expand and contract which could compromise the canning process when processing food for long term storage so it is certainly for legal purposes. I have been in a such as hury i have tossed my utensils in a jar and tightened down a ball lid with no GE filter or SHIP coupled with a silicone gasket and i needed to use a drill bit to relieve the vaccum so that i could open the lid. I bet plastic lids could be uses for canning but its not worth the risk.
  • Needles and CatsAndBats like this

#789 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:34 AM

Just go ahead and use the plastic ones. I even tighten them fairly tight. You might find this helpful:

Awesome!  Thanks for the help guys.

Pressure cooking will have to wait until tomorrow, but here's tonight's results:

First I used 540mL distilled water with a couple of black tea bags.

20180620 234908
20180620 233925

I heated the water on the stove until boiling, removed from heat and added tea bags.  Allowed to steep for a handful of minutes.
Then I poured into a bowl and placed in the microwave, heated for 1min.  Allowed to sit for about 1min.  Microwaved an additional minute.
Allowed to sit for about 1min.  Removed from microwave and squeezed moisture from tea bags.
Poured tea back to stovetop pan, added 1 Teaspoon Corn Syrup and 1 Teaspoon Brown Rice Flour.

20180620 233908
20180620 234021
20180620 225912

Brought back to simmer, stirring frequently, until smooth texture.

Added six long hardwood pellets.  Stirred thoroughly.

20180620 233952

Poured back to measuring cup and as more than anticipated water loss had occurred, refilled to 500 mL.

Poured back to pan, stirring to ensure equal consistency.

Poured to measuring cup to facilitate easy pouring into 12 half-pint jars.

20180620 233642
20180620 233725

• Sidestreet, Microbe, CatsAndBats and 2 others like this

#790 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:51 AM

Awesome!  Thanks for the help guys.

Pressure cooking will have to wait until tomorrow, but here's tonight's results:

First I used 540mL distilled water with a couple of black tea bags.

I heated the water on the stove until boiling, removed from heat and added tea bags.  Allowed to steep for a handful of minutes.
Then I poured into a bowl and placed in the microwave, heated for 1min.  Allowed to sit for about 1min.  Microwaved an additional minute.
Allowed to sit for about 1min.  Removed from microwave and squeezed moisture from tea bags.
Poured tea back to stovetop pan, added 1 Teaspoon Corn Syrup and 1 Teaspoon Brown Rice Flour.

Brought back to simmer, stirring frequently, until smooth texture.

Added six long hardwood pellets.  Stirred thoroughly.

Poured back to measuring cup and as more than anticipated water loss had occurred, refilled to 500 mL.

Poured back to pan, stirring to ensure equal consistency.

Poured to measuring cup to facilitate easy pouring into 12 half-pint jars.

Did you add agar? (I'm on my first cup of coffee but I read it 2x)

#791 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:51 PM

Ahh, yah.  I forgot to cover that.  Added 10g bar of colored agar to the tea before other additions.

Agar Agar Bars

#792 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:59 PM

Ahh, yah.  I forgot to cover that.  Added 10g bar of colored agar to the tea before other additions.

I wish you luck man, those strips are a pain in the ass. I get powdered agar from an Asian store, it's also available online:

Agar_front.jpg

Lemme (us) know how it works out, not sure yours is going to set.

#793 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:33 PM

I wish you luck man, those strips are a pain in the ass. I get powdered agar from an Asian store, it's also available online:

Agar_front.jpg

Yeah I would have gone for the powder.  Just happened the day I stopped by the local asian store they were about to close.  I grabbed those off the shelf and figured I'd give them a go, but did ask if they had powdered (which they do).  It wasn't too bad as a pot batch, just a bit of stirring.  I wouldn't want to try and use them for doing no-pours.  I need to figure out what box I stowed my digital scale in too, so I can do proper additive measurements.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#794 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

Agar_front.jpg

Yeah I would have gone for the powder.  Just happened the day I stopped by the local asian store they were about to close.  I grabbed those off the shelf and figured I'd give them a go, but did ask if they had powdered (which they do).  It wasn't too bad as a pot batch, just a bit of stirring.  I wouldn't want to try and use them for doing no-pours.  I need to figure out what box I stowed my digital scale in too, so I can do proper additive measurements.

You should dig up your scale but you can hack it like this:

• a 25g agar packet can just be split in half which will give you ~12.5g
  • you can use a decorative quart jar (ball brand or old pasta sauce jar) to get 600ml of water which is close enough to the 10g agar to 500ml standard agar recipe
  • add 2-3 packets of brown sugar packets which will give you 8-12g of sugar respectively, which is a good amount of nutrition for agar and has micro-nutes in case you want to germinate spores. :thumbs_up:

Literally the cheapest agar recipe on Earth right there ^^^ The only cost is the $2 for the agar packet. :biggrin:

Edited by CatsAndBats, 21 June 2018 - 09:26 PM.

• Needles and peacefrog like this

#795 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:07 PM

• add 2-3 packets of brown sugar packets which will give you 8-12g of sugar respectively, which is a good amount of nutrition for agar and has micro-nutes in case you want to germinate spores. :thumbs_up:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Sidestreet and CatsAndBats like this

#796 circusanimal

circusanimal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:02 AM

I couldn't find any bats on food coloring boxes so I had to settle for the cat...

20180621_234043.jpg

black fc.jpg

Edited by circusanimal, 22 June 2018 - 02:05 AM.

• Sidestreet, CatsAndBats and peacefrog like this

#797 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I couldn't find any bats on food coloring boxes so I had to settle for the cat...

attachicon.gif20180621_234043.jpg

attachicon.gifblack fc.jpg

Well done, both of you. :biggrin:

#798 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:59 AM

Was this comment due to the use of the agar strips, or based on the other ingredients / process used?

I had an excellent set as I was pouring from the pan initially.  In fact, almost too quickly.  I had a slight raise/mound at the area of pour.  (The mound was hot & moist, Cat) I think this (the quick set) was due to the fact that I added cool water at the end to bring the total volume back up to 500 mL.  I'm wondering if I should have just started with a larger initial volume and tried skipping the PCing.  I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot on the first try though.

I made a comment in another thread about appreciating a well-planned clean setup vs. people making videos where they talk up a storm about sanitizing everything, and then do open-air transfers in an uncontrolled environment, with their open mouth a few inches above the agar dishes. (watch as I wipe down my hands and scalpel in ispropyl and flame-sterilize the blade, and then as small droplets of spittle and bacteria-laden dust from my cat's litter box over there land directly on my agar)  :tongue:  However,  I've thought a lot about that comment and would like to clarify that I'm not actually against people doing things low-tech, or taking chances, if that's their choice.  It's just when people are purporting to "sterilize" and then are doing really stupid things at the same time (essentially giving the uninformed people really bad advice and a false expectation of what "sterilized" is). My first attempt at mushroom propagation months ago was basically a bad science experiment that resulted in a shriveled mold cake.  But at least I knew that it was a likely outcome based on the minimal time, effort, and resources I put into the process and wasn't deceived into thinking I was going to have a good chance of positive results only to be sorely disappointed.

That aside, I PC'd 8 jars last night and 4 jars tonight.  My PC is tiny, only holding four half pints at a time.  I think it would hold four full pint jars, but another stack of half pints were a no go.  My wife ordered it off TV late one night several years ago, and due to her health issues, this is the first use it's had.  I PC'd for 90 minutes at what I'm assuming to be fluctuating about 12-15 PSI.  PC specs and online search only revealed that electric PC's sold in the U.S. are set to a peak of 15 PSI for safety reasons, with a drop down to perhaps 10-12 PSI depending on the temperature control.

PC

There is a little bit of fluid on the surface of last night's jars, but for the most part they have a good set.  Other than the free fluid, there is no perceptible flow to the agar mass when tilting the jar.  The hardwood particulate has also settled to the bottom, whereas it was evenly suspended before PCing.  If the fluid doesn't reabsorb into the agar by the time I'm ready to inoculate, should I try to pour it off?

Mission for this weekend is to find a suitable container to serve as a SAB.

#799 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,605 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

Was this comment due to the use of the agar strips, or based on the other ingredients / process used?

I had an excellent set as I was pouring from the pan initially.  In fact, almost too quickly.  I had a slight raise/mound at the area of pour.  (The mound was hot & moist, Cat) I think this (the quick set) was due to the fact that I added cool water at the end to bring the total volume back up to 500 mL.  I'm wondering if I should have just started with a larger initial volume and tried skipping the PCing.  I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot on the first try though.

I made a comment in another thread about appreciating a well-planned clean setup vs. people making videos where they talk up a storm about sanitizing everything, and then do open-air transfers in an uncontrolled environment, with their open mouth a few inches above the agar dishes. (watch as I wipe down my hands and scalpel in ispropyl and flame-sterilize the blade, and then as small droplets of spittle and bacteria-laden dust from my cat's litter box over there land directly on my agar)  :tongue:  However,  I've thought a lot about that comment and would like to clarify that I'm not actually against people doing things low-tech, or taking chances, if that's their choice.  It's just when people are purporting to "sterilize" and then are doing really stupid things at the same time (essentially giving the uninformed people really bad advice and a false expectation of what "sterilized" is). My first attempt at mushroom propagation months ago was basically a bad science experiment that resulted in a shriveled mold cake.  But at least I knew that it was a likely outcome based on the minimal time, effort, and resources I put into the process and wasn't deceived into thinking I was going to have a good chance of positive results only to be sorely disappointed.

That aside, I PC'd 8 jars last night and 4 jars tonight.  My PC is tiny, only holding four half pints at a time.  I think it would hold four full pint jars, but another stack of half pints were a no go.  My wife ordered it off TV late one night several years ago, and due to her health issues, this is the first use it's had.  I PC'd for 90 minutes at what I'm assuming to be fluctuating about 12-15 PSI.  PC specs and online search only revealed that electric PC's sold in the U.S. are set to a peak of 15 PSI for safety reasons, with a drop down to perhaps 10-12 PSI depending on the temperature control.

There is a little bit of fluid on the surface of last night's jars, but for the most part they have a good set.  Other than the free fluid, there is no perceptible flow to the agar mass when tilting the jar.  The hardwood particulate has also settled to the bottom, whereas it was evenly suspended before PCing.  If the fluid doesn't reabsorb into the agar by the time I'm ready to inoculate, should I try to pour it off?

Mission for this weekend is to find a suitable container to serve as a SAB.

Yup, the strips are hit or miss in my experience.

You can store your jars upside down and when you open them in your clean space, put the lids down with the threads facing down and your jars too. Most excess will come out. :biggrin:

#800 MeadMaker

MeadMaker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

You can store your jars upside down and when you open them in your clean space, put the lids down with the threads facing down and your jars too. Most excess will come out. :biggrin:

Ah, good.  I thought I had seen this tip in one of your previous posts.

Here's my cheapass starter SAB.

Sterilite
CheapAss SAB

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!