• Please log in to reply
1065 replies to this topic

#841 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:20 PM

Yeah I have some fully grown out isolates. I should probably get on trying the hand at grain huh... I keep failing miserably
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#842 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:24 PM

Yeah I have some fully grown out isolates. I should probably get on trying the hand at grain huh... I keep failing miserably

Do tell. What's your process? I soak oats in a cooler for 45-60min with some boiling h2o and a scoop of pickling lime, dry, PC, and inoculate.

You can read all about it here:

https://mycotopia.ne...-cubensis-bulk/

• Misfit likes this

#843 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

Do tell. What's your process? I soak oats in a cooler for 45-60min with some boiling h2o and a scoop of pickling lime, dry, PC, and inoculate.

Have you made any major changes to that method since it was posted?

#844 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

Have you made any major changes to that method since it was posted?

Not too much. I use more straw now, and I add a handful of magnesium to bulk now:

"To everyone else that's been trying to use subs to increase potency, let me let all of you in on a little secret, psilocybe cubensis has a very hard threshold of potency, even the slow growers like PE. That's why the dosing is so universal. If I eat an 1/8th of pink buffalos, it's the same as an 1/8th that I ate when I was in highschool.  It's also why a microdose is widely accepted as 0.2-0.5g.

Let me let you in on another secret, magnesium. Instead of trying to increase the potency of cubensis, why not increase their effectiveness?

So about 6mos ago (maybe a year, IDK) I started taking a magnesium supplement as one of my friends told me it would help with my ADHD, and most people are magnesium deficient. So on my first magnesium day was also my microdose day. I take a small fresh or dried cope or hoog fruit body. So I take all my vitamins and my microdose and get on the train. By the end of the train ride I was tripping, not full face melt-tripping, but tripping nonetheless. 

Short story long, as magnesium is a medal, I knew that the fruit bodies would uptake it, so I throw a handful of magnesium in all of my substrates and I haven't heard a potency complaint since. Don't over do it though, too much can cause high blood pressure in the consumer. :biggrin:"

From here: https://mycotopia.ne...-3#entry1410459

Oh and I run smaller 6qt tubs too, the bigger ones get too hot for my tastes.

Edited by CatsAndBats, 30 June 2019 - 06:28 PM.

• Misfit likes this

#845 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:27 PM

Magnesium supplement was giving me minor heart palpitations. But I think I was taking the max suggested dose without letting it build up. Cause you know. Why not.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#846 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:31 PM

Magnesium supplement was giving me minor heart palpitations. But I think I was taking the max suggested dose without letting it build up. Cause you know. Why not.

Then don't add it! :tongue: I mean I only throw in a handful per big-ass tub.

#847 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

I feel like that’s a big difference between that and 2 tablespoons in 2-4 oz of water.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#848 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:12 PM

Im screwing up all over. But feel free to peruse my posts, comments and whateves, and you can clearly see I'm at least getting definite A's in the life class of screwing things up 6 ways to sunday.lmao.
Need to use gas exchanges.(smh DUH) been leaving the lids ajar
any tips for tyvec? Friend has access to free suits.(yay)

I pretty much need to just tyvec the jars and tape over my lid holes, and quit the always present "doesn't apply herself" balderdash.
Msbehaving... More like Ms-aint-paying-attention :p
  • coorsmikey likes this

#849 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:37 PM

Attention agar-philes, neophytes, and budding agar-enthusiasts, some things for your consideration.

post-147940-0-03327100-1562214101.jpg

Mold and contaminations happen, it's part of what we do. If I didn't have a bunch of back ups, I'd grab from the 11:00 position on the top disk of myc, please keep in mind though, the mold has sporulated, so it's everywhere on this jar/plate and it would take a ton of transfers to ensure that I cleaned it up. I made other plates/jars though, so I don't have to worry about that. :biggrin:

post-147940-0-25479100-1562214121.gif

I posted this guy to show y'all that if y'all position y'alls jars right, y'all can make it easier to see what's going on on the agar surface, despite the jar not being an ideal agar jar. Just rest the jar at an angle with some foil or a towel, prior to PCing.

y'all.

This is a hoog culture that I pulled from a cluster in the hope of emulating/reproducing donshadow's amazing grow.

Found here: https://mycotopia.ne...rates-compared/

Attached Thumbnails

• mold nigga.jpg
  • hoog cluster agar.gif

Edited by CatsAndBats, 03 July 2019 - 11:38 PM.

• peacefrog and Moonless like this

#850 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:58 AM

post-147940-0-30169800-1562247037.jpg

So just a not so gentle reminder from life, that using ancient glassware a bazillion times sometimes ends in disaster. The bottom of the jar just fell the fuck off after I added the hot h2o. 

I like getting different designs or brands, so that I can always know approximately how old the glassware is.

post-147940-0-87188400-1562248027.png

This pic is all of my recipes in the past 4-6mos. Look ma! I can agar!

So after the explosion, I cleaned up and then did this:

10g agar

10g potato flakes

500ml h2o

catattives (a pinch of each):

bone meal

oats

bulk sub (straw, coir, black kow)

cat treat

pink coloring

Attached Thumbnails

• agar explosion.jpg
  • agar recipes 2.PNG

#851 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:32 PM

Goodness gracious. The amount of knowledge in this thread is staggering. It is taking me days to read, and process it all! I commend you Cats for all your hard-work, your scientific curiosity, your thorough information output, and your humor! This much info is usually dreadful to look through.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#852 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:41 PM

Goodness gracious. The amount of knowledge in this thread is staggering. It is taking me days to read, and process it all! I commend you Cats for all your hard-work, your scientific curiosity, your thorough information output, and your humor! This much info is usually dreadful to look through.

Aww shucks. Thanks. I'm still referencing this monster that Seeker posted:

https://mycotopia.ne...g/#entry1198427

I have a shorter primer here:

https://mycotopia.ne...izes-agar-agar/

Edited by CatsAndBats, 04 October 2019 - 07:43 PM.

• cybele likes this

#853 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:14 PM

<script data-pagespeed-no-defer type="text/javascript">//b||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split("."),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if©{d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch®{try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A®},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://mycotopia.ne...ums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=100114&p=1411567&md5check=706531ffe7679ed5ca2370ab4b6218e5&isRte=1,lMGhzzyjA5,true,false,4KCRRp2HObY'); //]]></script> post-147940-0-30169800-1562247037.jpg&&0){for(var>)throw>

So just a not so gentle reminder from life, that using ancient glassware a bazillion times sometimes ends in disaster. The bottom of the jar just fell the fuck off after I added the hot h2o. 

I like getting different designs or brands, so that I can always know approximately how old the glassware is.

post-147940-0-87188400-1562248027.png

This pic is all of my recipes in the past 4-6mos. Look ma! I can agar!

So after the explosion, I cleaned up and then did this:

10g agar

10g potato flakes

500ml h2o

catattives (a pinch of each):

bone meal

oats

bulk sub (straw, coir, black kow)

cat treat

pink coloring

pyrex

• CatsAndBats likes this

#854 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:10 PM

pyrex

Noted, but I solved it by using a dedicated jar that's never been PC'd. :biggrin:

#855 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

I have had problems with agar boiling over on the stove. Being ADD (easily distracted) adds to this problem. I just tried using a double boiler technique. It worked great. See attached pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• double boiling agar.jpg

• Sidestreet likes this

#856 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:40 PM

Have some questions today:

A. About to clone this Chitwan stem (harvested about a week ago, not cracker dry). Would I need to re hydrate the sample in a peroxide dilution or just take the dry cuts from the center in the SAB.

Looked through the vaults on this one, at hippi3's stuff but I'm still unsure.

B. My BRF plates are growing super slow in comparison to the LME, is this normal or should I be adding a higher % when using BRF? No contams but painfully slow mycelial growth.

C.I'm thinking about different common nutrients to add to future batches. I read that changing the agar nutrition is beneficial to the mycelium in this vegetative stage and will make them more versatile and productive later down the line. (which in essence has cattative all over it) Looking for house hold options, thinking potatoes. Only tried LME and BRF

• CatsAndBats likes this

#857 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:11 AM

I dont think it matters either way as it will get rehydrated on the agar

#858 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:03 PM

Have some questions today:

A. About to clone this Chitwan stem (harvested about a week ago, not cracker dry). Would I need to re hydrate the sample in a peroxide dilution or just take the dry cuts from the center in the SAB.

Looked through the vaults on this one, at hippi3's stuff but I'm still unsure.

B. My BRF plates are growing super slow in comparison to the LME, is this normal or should I be adding a higher % when using BRF? No contams but painfully slow mycelial growth.

C.I'm thinking about different common nutrients to add to future batches. I read that changing the agar nutrition is beneficial to the mycelium in this vegetative stage and will make them more versatile and productive later down the line. (which in essence has cattative all over it) Looking for house hold options, thinking potatoes. Only tried LME and BRF

I dont think it matters either way as it will get rehydrated on the agar

Cloning from a semi-dry/dry fruit isn't ideal but h2o2 is probably your best bet to minimize bacterial lode.

BRF is fine at the normal ratio of nutrition IME.

I've used oats, rye flour, pulverized straw, sucrose, dextrose, potato, malt extract, pasta, dog food, silkworm pupae, corn starch, corn meal, grits, instant oatmeal, etc..

Sometimes it's enough to just add weird "catattives" to challenge the myc. A pinch of: Dust, lint, soil, cow dung, dog treats, drop of honey, a piece of grass, spices, a vitamin, etc..

https://mycotopia.ne...g/#entry1198427

Edited by CatsAndBats, 23 November 2019 - 06:04 PM.

• macgyver likes this

#859 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:34 AM

FunG dropped this nugget on a different thread:

So this guy recently gave a good tip of advice on cleaning up contaminated syringes, squirt the spore solution onto a qtip and then streak the agar, cuts down on the spore load and keeps the solution from rolling around making it easier to get a piece of mycelium, and then it of course takes several transfers before the mycelium is free of green mold.

It's not impossible to clean up a contaminated syringe, that's essentially what agar is for besides cloning and strain isolation.

https://mycotopia.ne...b/#entry1431925

• macgyver likes this

#860 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

This guy is about to push the lid off....

20191125_193025.jpg

What should my nute be for my next round of transfers? I've done LME and BRF. Looking for something spicyyyy, I know potatoe flakes are kind of vanilla but I may try that next.

Also I have active yeast, I'm pretty sure that was in your first post. You cook it before hand right? but wouldn't thePC kill it and turn it into nutritional yeast?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!