1069 replies to this topic

#81 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

You get cellulose and other plant materials, such as plant resins which can also be broken down into an energy source (C-H-O).

In some cases there can be too much, for example too much sugar is toxic, but low amounts are an energy source.

Mycelium can reassemble carbon and H20 (water) into energy, C-H-O, given enough nutrients.

• JustAnEyedea and Jeepster like this

#82 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

Tomorrow's Friday (for me), agar is gonna get poured soon, ............. 

#83 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

To follow up on my agar experiment i am posting a picture of P. cyanesences
image.jpeg

Check out how this strain loves the oak tea while, as expected the black walnut tea is clearly not a tea to use when culturing wood lovers. Using grain tea seems to be okay as with plain malt yeast agar. But using good oak tea is definitely a plus.....
  • Arathu, Seeker2be, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#84 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:34 AM

Plant resins and extracts also carry natural anti-microbial properties as well as energy and nutrients.

If you changed the concentration or pH of the walnut it may work as well as the others.

• Needles and CatsAndBats like this

#85 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

Black walnut contains a high concentration Jugolone, an antifungal , but American walnut has less but I am not sure PH adjustments would inactivate that chemical but worth a try to see if it would work..

• Needles likes this

#86 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:59 AM

Plant resins and extracts also carry natural anti-microbial properties as well as energy and nutrients.
If you changed the concentration or pH of the walnut it may work as well as the others.

Checking the ph slipped past me. Once I'm done with some of the plates I'll check the ph.

#87 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

Check before adding stain, I've done that at least three times.

• Arathu likes this

#88 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

Indeed Seeker2be, I had the same issues with using tea extracts, pH is the easiest method, you keep the nutrients.

#89 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:03 PM

Black walnut contains a high concentration Jugolone, an antifungal , but American walnut has less but I am not sure PH adjustments would inactivate that chemical but worth a try to see if it would work..

Thank you Seeker for originally pointing this out to me. I wouldn't have thought about it being a anti fungal. I'm guessing that cedar tea would have the same results.

#90 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

Pine wood, renowned for being anti-fungal. I simply add calcium carbonate to cause a breakdown of the acidic inhibitors.

I keep the broken down nutrients present, and produce a potential energy and nutrient source as an end result.

At pH 7 the inhibitors breakdown. Reduce bacteria activity: pH 6, Reduce germination: pH 7-8.

Depending on your infection type adjust the pH accordingly to keep some active.

• Needles, Seeker2be and Jeepster like this

#91 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

To follow up on my agar experiment i am posting a picture of P. cyanesences
attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Check out how this strain loves the oak tea while, as expected the black walnut tea is clearly not a tea to use when culturing wood lovers. Using grain tea seems to be okay as with plain malt yeast agar. But using good oak tea is definitely a plus.....

Yes indeed...I like hardwood tea agar's................ :thumbs_up: Then oak and maple, birch, hickory chips, branches, twigs and even logs, untreated mulching too.......yummy!

Lay a few sterilized oak wood chips on that as it expands wide enough............................ :biggrin: A dozen becomes a gross in a heap..................good god man! Can you say rhizomes????  :meditate: Chase the strain, it's there........

Beautiful!

A

Edited by Arathu, 02 February 2017 - 04:21 PM.

• Needles and Jeepster like this

#92 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

Yo! First real moves with agar so I don't know much about what I'm doing here. I have this one jar that I grew out some grain spawn in. My question is should I do transfers from each of these different myc patterns to get different isolates? My goal is to isolate and find one that is a strong fruiter that way I can have a master culture from as close to an original generation as possible.
IMG_5934.JPG IMG_5935.JPG IMG_5936.JPG
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#93 MrBiscuits

MrBiscuits

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for this concise infographic, cat!

I'm giddy with anticipation of starting to do my own agar and microscopy work with damn near anything I can find.

Also, finally getting up the courage to get my lazy, awkward ass to get my GED and go to school to pursue the minute details of this biological world that others have mapped out before me.

It may sound disproportionate, but things like this - this community, the heaps of information novices and professionals alike have amassed - it really does add to the motivation for me. I can only see it right to pay my dues with the furthering of my own sharable knowledge.

#94 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

You did the right thing putting the spawn at the bottom, It's up to you if you want to isolate mycelium or clone a fruit.

If you decide to go with the mycelium, then I would take samples that visibly look the strongest.

#95 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

I'm sick as hell (whatever the latest virus going around is) and making hardwood tea right now..................hahahahaha They don't like our stinkin jelly jars.................wish I had a laboratory and a budget.............  :dry:  I'd love to have a stack of them there fancy pyrex pitri plates.........................

Myc has posted a thread and I think I'm going to piggy back the theme with a slight twist..............."old spores" but on new agar...............

Lets see what happens..........now I don't know where to post this.............. :tinfoil:

A

#96 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

I'm sick as hell (whatever the latest virus going around is) and making hardwood tea right now..................hahahahaha They don't like our stinkin jelly jars.................wish I had a laboratory and a budget.............  :dry:  I'd love to have a stack of them there fancy pyrex pitri plates.........................

Myc has posted a thread and I think I'm going to piggy back the theme with a slight twist..............."old spores" but on new agar...............

Lets see what happens..........now I don't know where to post this.............. :tinfoil:

A

Park it here sir, we don't mind. :biggrin:

• Arathu likes this

#97 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,430 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

A

Park it here sir, we don't mind. :biggrin:

Tea brewing...........maple it is.........

#98 JustAnEyedea

JustAnEyedea

*UNTRUSTED MEMBER*

• 644 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

Man I need to post some pics after work...

Edited by JustAnEyedea, 03 February 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#99 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

Does it have any significance how thick the agar layer is?

In general or for something specific?

Edited by Microbe, 03 February 2017 - 07:43 PM.

#100 salviamycelium

salviamycelium

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

Does it have any significance how thick the agar layer is?

In general or for something specific?

Like, can thicker agar harbor more contams? (Do contams always grow on the surface, btw?)

• CatsAndBats likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!