• Please log in to reply
1069 replies to this topic

#1061 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 09:33 AM

Hey sev, have you run mexicana before. I ran tamps a couple years ago comparing 3 grains and 3 substrate recipes side by side. If your interested I could get you some of my notes on them.

Your friendly neighborhood toybox

Hey toybox- Haven't run mexicana before- I recieved a spore print from another member but had no luck getting it to germ on agar-  However I would be interested in your notes for both mex and tamp as it'll be helpful for the tamp now plus I'm compiling a grimoire of info and would happily add your observations to my growing strainbase.

• Toybox78 likes this

#1062 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:21 AM

Sorry I always forget the is a mexicana that's just named mexicana I meant the tampanensis.

#1063 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:23 AM

I didnt know that! thanks for that clarification

• Toybox78 likes this

#1064 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:32 AM

I didnt know that! thanks for that clarification

No problem it's written out like this
P.mexicana var. -----
Tampanensis
Galandoi alt 7
Jalisco
Chicon nindob36e603f5ee579c65872c0ec17dc2395.jpg

#1065 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:33 AM

But yeah im at work till later this after noon and I'll do you in on what I experienced.

#1066 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:43 AM

About to get to work cloning these subtropicalis. Addy left I was told they were. aa06c9aea77089e2a7ef3ae52093663a.jpg

• Arathu, Salty117, Severian and 1 other like this

#1067 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:26 PM

It's been a while since I posted here, and I have made the switch to plates, here's a great primer for plates that I got off of an elder!

How to Make the Perfect Agar Plate Every Time

Published July 5, 2011
lb-plates.jpg

Making agar plates, whether they contain LB, M9 or any other medium, is a simple procedure. But there are a few finer points that will kill your experiment, make a mess or just cause you inconvenience if you get them wrong. So let’s put on the record exactly how to make the perfect agar plate.

Follow this and you’ll get great plates – with no lumps, bubbles or excess moisture – every time.

1. Make up the medium according to the recipe, then add the desired amount of agar (normally about 1% w/v) and stir
If you autoclave without stirring, with the argarose still floating on top of the liquid, you get an agarose cake in the medium. Interesting, but useless

2. Autoclave for 25 minutes
After autoclaving you can of course store the medium-agar mix in a toughened glass bottle then melt it in a microwave or water bath when needed. Make sure you use toughened glass bottles, or this (see #2) can happen

3. Cool the medium-agar mix to 55°C. For routinely consistent results, do the cooling for a couple of hours in a 55°C water bath
Agar starts to solidify at about 50°C. Using the water bath means you can consistently cool the mixture to just above the solidification temperature. Before I used a waterbath, I used to just cool it in air but would inevitably forget about it and come back to find solidification had already started — lumpy plates are no good for spreading!

4. Add any antibiotics or supplements
You can be confident that the agar is at a suitable temperature because you have cooled it in the water bath

5. Pour the plates. Use about 30 mL for each plate in a 100mm diameter plate
The less agar-medium mix in each plate, the more easily they will dry out. 30 mL is a good amount for long term storage, 10-20 mL is fine if you are going to use the plates relatively soon. For consistency, I’d recommend using a serological pipette. Suck up 2-3 mLs more than you need to minimise blowing bubbles into the plate.

6. Allow the plates to set. If there are any bubbles in the plates, briefly pass the flame over to pop them.
Classic error: trying to move the plates before the set is just asking for trouble. Just leave them alone!

7. Dry the plates in the laminar flow hood with the lid slightly off for 30 minutes (or in a 37°C incubator for 2-3 hours, or RT for 2-3 days).
Drying the plate is very important for storing the plates and growing colonies on them. If you don’t dry them, the moisture will evaporate and condense on the lid during storage or during incubation and give you horrible wet plates to work with. At worst the moisture can affect the plating of your cells. Use a timer to remind you when the 30 minutes is up as – in my experience – it is very easy to forget about your plates and come back to find your plates have turned into agar crisps/chips. Tasty.

8. Use the plates immediately or seal them. You can use Parafilm, or in the bag that the plates came in. Store the plates at 4°C
A quick way to label your plates is to have a color code for each antibiotic and medium type you tend to use (e.g. red for ampicillin, black for kanamycin, green for LB, blue for M9 etc). Stack the plates and use the appropriately colored lab marker to draw a line down the whole stack. Make sure you keep the color code to hand though.

Now you should have perfect plates every time. If you’ve got any further ideas or additions to this protocol, please leave a comment.

Has this helped you? Then please share with your network.

Written by Dr Nick Oswald

Edited by CatsAndBats, 01 December 2020 - 04:26 PM.

• fahtster, coorsmikey, Arathu and 5 others like this

#1068 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:32 PM

OK so the RUMORS  of  CatsAndBats  Abduction by Aliens and Big Foot Were Greatly Exaggerated ...!

Nice to see you around  ..thanks for the Info .

• CatsAndBats likes this

#1069 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

This motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:40 PM

OK so the RUMORS  of  CatsAndBats  Abduction by Aliens and Big Foot Were Greatly Exaggerated ...!

Nice to see you around  ..thanks for the Info .

Christmas-Cat-3.png

I was busy fulfilling my duties as Jólakötturinn.

• Arathu and Salty117 like this

#1070 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,353 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:31 PM

Eat me!

Hahahahaa.....

post-113856-0-76667800-1607023728.jpg

Said the fungus to Jólakötturinn...........

But the cat came back, he couldn't stay away, he was sitting on the porch, the very next day.......

Hello Cat! Welcome to the pitri club.....

:biggrin:

A

Attached Thumbnails

• small_GEDC8568.jpg

Edited by Arathu, 03 December 2020 - 02:35 PM.

• CatsAndBats, Oam, Salty117 and 2 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!