#1 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:39 AM

Some of the demonstrations at the presidential inauguration reportedly turned ugly on January 20, with windows smashed and a limousine set on fire.  Among those arrested: six people described as journalists covering the events.

Jack Keller, a producer for the web documentary series Story of America, said he was charged and detained for about 36 hours after being kettled by police at 12th and L streets on Friday morning and arrested despite telling officers that he was covering the demonstrations as a journalist.

“The way we were treated was an absolute travesty,” said Keller, whose cellphone has been kept by the authorities. Keller’s editor, Annabel Park, said: “It is a maddening and frustrating situation. These are people who were there observing and documenting.”

Matt Hopard , an independent journalist who was live-streaming the Friday protests, was arrested at the same site as Keller, Engel and Rubinstein, according to metropolitan police records. He said in a message that he denied the charge against him.

Also arrested while covering the demonstrations at 12th and L streets and later charged were Shay Horse, an independent photojournalist and activist, and Aaron Cantú, a freelance journalist and activist, who has written for outlets including the Baffler, the Washington Spectator and the New Inquiry. Both deny wrongdoing.

In all, more than 200 people were arrested on Friday, after property was vandalized in the US capital in the hours around Trump’s swearing-in as president. Police said that six officers suffered minor injuries.

http://www.businessi...?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

Witnesses reported that sweeping arrests during the parade targeted rioters, protesters and journalists indiscriminately. A lawyer representing dozens of people arrested, Mark Goldstone, told The Associated Press that the police had “basically identified a location that had problems and arrested everyone in that location.”

https://www.nytimes....WT.nav=top-news

Now, I'm citing MSM sources, so for some corroboration, you can look up information on each court case on the D.C. Courts' website here.

Also, the executive editor for the pro-Trump Fox News has written an opinion piece surmising that the six arrested might have been engaging in "participatory journalism" in what he says would be a violation of journalistic boundaries.

Two of those detained were described in news stories as “journalist and activist.” I don’t know if that is accurate, but I do know that it’s not possible to be both at the same time. A journalist who uses his or her credentials to gain access to an event -- whether it’s a speech, a battlefield or a protest march – gives up the right to be part of the action. You can’t riot while you’re working and expect your press pass to protect you.

He also claims to have info on a few other reporters who were detained but released after their bosses made some calls:

Steven Nelson of U.S. News was covering the protests near 12th and L Street, where windows were being smashed and at least one vehicle set ablaze, when he realized the group he was in had been hemmed in by the DC police. 

“I was not allowed to leave the group that had been detained,” Nelson told me. “After an hour, two local NBC reporters were allowed to leave after their boss called a lieutenant, and I was too. I think I just lucked out.” Nelson told me he was wearing his press credential and tried to identify himself as a reporter. Many of the rioters were dressed in black. Nelson was wearing a button down blue shirt and a pea-coat.

And finally, as an example of poor standards in journalism, the story is re-printed verbatim by Business Insider, The Guardian, Alternet, The International News, WeAreChange.Org, and numerous other sites.

Those arrested are facing up to ten years in prison.

Edited by Sidestreet, 26 January 2017 - 05:41 AM.

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

Well, six corporations make real news, and the rest are fake news.   Which side are you on?

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:48 AM

I did notice that the U.S. News and NBC reporters are said to have been set free, while the others, who seem to have no connection to major news organizations, stand charged.

D.C. law doesn't criminalize mere presence at a riot.  You have to "willfully engage".  I read that the charging documents described the scene but did not accuse the reporters in particular with rioting...

(a) A riot in the District of Columbia is a public disturbance involving an assemblage of 5 or more persons which by tumultuous and violent conduct or the threat thereof creates grave danger of damage or injury to property or persons.

(b) Whoever willfully engages in a riot in the District of Columbia shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 180 days or a fine of not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or both.

https://beta.code.dc...ns/22-1322.html

#4 GORF

GORF

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:38 AM

I'm not a fan of Trump, BUT....

the totally unhinged, bat-Shit crazy reactions of those groups protesting against him doesn't really make me think they have a better ideological platform I could agree with.

The rules of civility and mutual respect have disappeared.

Because I'm white, I am AUTOMATICALLY deemed a racist, or whatever the term of the moment is.

That doesn't drive me to accept Trump, but it DAMN sure doesn't make me want to join any of the groups protesting against him either.
  • August West and Skywatcher like this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

Is there anything out there that appears to be self-destructing at the moment that we should be keeping?    How much of a corrupted system is worth saving.   It's been a very long time since I have been affiliated with any organized groups, but the ones I found the most sympathetic to my points of view have been branded Eco-terrorist.  

It's been about fifty years since Mort Saul called it: "Government: of the people, by the corporations, for the rich." 

Maybe we should just let it play out and not mourn its passing.   The good parts of the failing system which we love so dearly are mythical, and have been for a long time.   Be true to your hearts and stay ready to respond close to home.  

• Myc likes this

#6 GORF

GORF

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

Self destruction?

How about ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc.etc etc

The nation needs real facts, not opinion painted to look like news reports.

Keep losing their collective minds over Trump doing ANYTHING and when he really does screw the pooch, nobody will believe it.

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

The fornicating of the canine is the status quo.   It's all self-destructing in front of my old eyes.   When studied, I see it's been on this track all of my nearly seventy years.   Little has slowed the charge.   It's capital C Corruption.   

[Direct Link]

• Myc likes this

#8 tailsmcsnails

tailsmcsnails

"DOOR"

• Gold VIP
  • 526 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:10 AM

Is there anything out there that appears to be self-destructing at the moment that we should be keeping?    

I guess this isn't what you meant (took me a moment to catch up) but the fact that NASA for example is asking civilians to download and back up their data so it is distributed and safe tells me that this modern-day book burning taking place is aiming to destroy actual data and knowledge, which is IMO definately worth keeping.

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:46 AM

Monuments, books, living memory, ideas...  all things that have been brutally destroyed or otherwise suppressed at the whim of the powerful throughout history.  I see no reason to believe the Library of Alexandria couldn't have been burned today.

I am concerned about things like the gagging of the EPA... already I hear that employees are rebelling with "unofficial" social media feeds, but how will they be dealt with?

At the same time, this resonates:

Maybe we should just let it play out and not mourn its passing.   The good parts of the failing system which we love so dearly are mythical, and have been for a long time.   Be true to your hearts and stay ready to respond close to home.

Edited by Sidestreet, 28 January 2017 - 08:17 AM.

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

It's been about fifty years since Mort Saul called it: "Government: of the people, by the corporations, for the rich."

Mort Saul was a stand up comedian who was a friend of Attny.Gen. Garrison, working on the Kennedy assassination conspiracy trial, and writing about that when he penned the words I quoted.   I had a dear friend, born in 1892, a Wobbly, who, speaking of the same time in US history said, "When the Mafia went legitimate, there wasn't anything legitimate left."  From Bebe Rebozo to the Plumbers Unit, Nixon's minions were of the CIA and the Mob, and the Golden Triangle heroin paid the bills (and the bankers and Wall St. loved it all). 

From Al Qaeda to the Contras, Bush-Reagan set up their empire, black funded by Colombian coke on this side of the globe, and Afghan heroin on the other, and business boomed from defense to re-insurance.   Dereg some S&Ls and break a lot of people's piggy banks and pay themselves some bonuses to boot. 

To me, it is all a portrait of corruption having pretty much run its course.  We stopped being even a nominal republic when PNAC made it clear that it was officially going to be an empire, and Bush-Cheney filled a cabinet with the PNAC boys, who were coming back from Bush-Reagan.  PNAC really wanted to stay in the saddle, but their aims and interests weren't greatly harmed by stepping aside for corporate Democrats. 

Tell me, is not our castle built on sand?   If there are parts of it worth saving, how is it to be done, when the tide comes in this time?

#11 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

I don't know if I see a tide coming to wash the whole dirty mess away; just the next group of kids coming along to knock over some of the towers and build a few new ones.  Do you get the feeling that there's about to be some kind of revolution?

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

How much market insecurity and natural disaster would it take right now to start the foundation stones moving?   What has the central power got to shore things up besides its boot heals?   WWIII is mostly going to be people against power, and how long it will last will be how long power's militarily armed up people will submit, when they're ordered to turn the guns on their own too often.

gallery_37520_816_1384988274_245349.jpg

Edited by Alder Logs, 28 January 2017 - 11:56 AM.

#13 GORF

GORF

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

It has all come about because "they" kept telling us that the things being done and the power structure being built was needed to improve life for everyone, yet we, the working class, only seemed to get poorer and loose more freedom to the State with every improvement made.

The last straw for me was AFFORDABLE care.

Affordable my ass. I have never paid so much per month and for what? To have insurance with a deductible so high I would go broke paying it before insurance kicks in. Only 2 years previous I had a catastrophic plan with a very low drug copay. I paid 120 a month.
Now the premium is 600 a month and the deductible is 2000.

Whatever a bill is named seems to be the exact opposite of what it will do when passed.

THAT is how we get Trump. That and a million other little disrespects have all added up to this moment. He isn't a problem for me. He has become my middle finger cast high in the air with a sentiment that is long ovrrdue.

Give me back my bullets.....

#14 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,245 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

From Bebe Rebozo to the Plumbers Unit, Nixon's minions were of the CIA and the Mob...

Not to take away from your greater point (which I agree with FWIW) but it's been compellingly argued in multiple venues that the Plumbers, all with CIA ties were there to take Nixon down (his relationship with the CIA appears to have been quite murky). By implication then, Watergate may have effectively been a "coup" by the CIA all the way down to their Mockingbird of choice, the Washington Post.

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,082 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Perhaps this is where the Nixon/CIA relationship ended up, but the groundworks were probably being laid when VP Nixon, then RNC head, posted a younger GHW (Poppy) Bush to head up the Republican Party's Ethnic Outreach Program, which drew into the party, all the doctrinaire Nazis they could come up with, right about the time Prescott Bush's fines, handed him for his conviction under the Trading With the Enemy Act, were officially forgiven. Poppy's pop got to keep all his profits from supplying Hitler's WWII efforts.   It was Gerald Ford of the Warren Commission who pardoned Nixon and made Poppy the DCI.

The Plumbers were Nixon's Operation 40 boys.   They were there for the Bay of Pigs and the doin's in Dallas as well. 

So, what's the general reason given that the spooks would need Tricky Dick circumcised?

Edited by Alder Logs, 28 January 2017 - 03:58 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!